What To Do Before Adding Minutes To The Safelink?
SafeLink is a Lifeline (a government benefit program for low-income citizens) provider. They offer both discounted and free plans, phones, and services to eligible customers. As such, before you can add minutes or use any of their services, you must apply for SafeLink. You can do so at safelinkwireless.com/Enrollment/Safelink/en/Web/www/default. Simply enter your ZIP code and press ‘Start’. After receiving the confirmation that you are indeed eligible for their services, you can proceed with the process.
Find The Best SafeLink Plans
The next or first step is to find the best SafeLink plans and choose the one that best fits your needs. SafeLink plans depend on the area where you live. In Florida, for example, they offer a plan that comes with 350 voice minutes, unlimited texts, 4.5 GB of data, and a free SIM card and requires the customer to use their own phone. To find out more about the plans in your area, visit their website.
Purchase phone minutes or airtime card
Now, it’s time to either purchase a service plan or add airtime. In this stage, you have to be an existing customer, as you will be asked to provide your phone number and PIN number. You can add airtime or buy a service plan at https://ww2.tracfone.com/direct/SafelinkUnl?app=TracFone&lang=en.
Adding the minutes
Finally, you can add minutes to your plan. For example, you can choose to add $15 to your account and receive unlimited minutes, texts, and 1 GB of data. For $20 you will get 2 GB of data and for $30 you will receive 6 GB of data. All of these bundles are valid for 30 days. Find out how to add minutes on SafeLink in the next chapter.
Read one of our past articles What Phones Are Compatible With Safelink
How To Add Minutes On A Safelink
When it comes to adding minutes on a SafeLink, there are several options. Review them below and once you choose the method that best suits you, simply follow the provided instructions.
Add minutes by phone
Buying airtime using Buy Now – for feature phones
- Step 1: Press ‘Menu’ from the main screen.
- Step 2: At the top of the screen the word ‘Prepaid’ will be displayed. Press ‘OK’.
- Step 3: With the arrow keys go to ‘Buy Airtime’ and press ‘OK’.
- Step 4: ‘Buy Airtime’ will be displayed at the top of your screen and below, you will see the list of airtime denominations. Go down to highlight the denomination you wish to buy and confirm by pressing ‘OK’.
- Step 5: You will be asked if you have a promo code (this refers to SafeLink or TracFone’s promotional code). If you do, select ‘Yes’ and enter your 5-digit promo code. Press ‘OK’. Otherwise, select ‘No’. You can get an active promo code by simply Googling ‘TracFone promo codes’ and add the current month and year to find the active ones.
- Step 6: Now you will receive the question ‘Buy XX mins?’ Press ‘Yes’ to confirm the amount or press ‘No.’
- Step 7: Once you select the right amount and confirm it by pressing ‘Yes’, you will be asked to enter your PIN. Do so and press ‘OK’. A notification will pop up saying ‘Processing, keep your phone on to receive your airtime’.
- Step 8: In a few moments, you will receive your airtime.
Rapid Refill – for active feature phones
- Step 1: Press the ‘OK’ key to add airtime. The word ‘Prepaid’ will appear on your screen and the ‘Add Airtime’ option will become highlighted. Press ‘OK’ to confirm.
- Step 2: When you see the words ‘Airtime PIN’ on your screen, enter your 15-digit airtime PIN and click ‘OK’.
- Step 3: You will be asked if you have a promo code (this refers to SafeLink or TracFone’s promotional code). If you do, select ‘Yes’ and enter your 5-digit promo code. Press ‘OK’. Otherwise, select ‘No’. A notification will pop up saying ‘Processing, keep your phone on to receive your airtime’.
- Step 4: In a few moments, you will receive your airtime.
Get to Redemption Menu – for active feature phones
- Step 1: Press ‘OK’ on your phone. This should get you to the Add Airtime menu and the words ‘Add Airtime’ should be displayed and highlighted on your screen.
- Step 2: Press ‘OK’ and see if the words ‘Airtime PIN’ are displayed on your phone screen. If so, you can proceed.
Get Pending Minutes – for active feature phones
- Step 1: Press ‘Menu’ or ‘OK’ to go to the ‘Prepaid’ menu.
- Step 2: ‘Add Airtime’ or ‘Redeem Airtime’ will appear highlighted. Press ‘OK’ to select.
- Step 3: If your screen displays a message, go down, and once you see ‘Card #’ or ‘Airtime PIN’, press ‘OK’.
- Step 4: Enter 555 and confirm by pressing ‘OK’. You may be asked to enter a promo code. If you have one, you can enter it. A notification will pop up saying ‘Processing, keep your phone on to receive your airtime’.
- Step 5: You will receive a confirmation for your request and your airtime.
A very quick and simple way to add airtime to SafeLink is to text the word ‘ADD’ to 611611.
Add minutes online – for smartphones and feature phones
As SafeLink Wireless is a TracFone service, you can also add minutes online on Tracfone’s website.
Recharge is a service that allows you to choose your provider and add minutes online.
- Step 1: Go to recharge.com/en/united-states/safelink-wireless-refill.
- Step 2: Choose the desired minute bundle.
- Step 3: Press ‘Order’ and follow the provided instructions.
Add minutes by contacting customer service
Another simple way to add minutes to your free government phone is to call SafeLink’s customer service at 1-800-378-1684. Simply follow the given instructions. You will be required to provide some details and once you do, your additional minutes will be automatically added to your account.
Buy minutes from a local retailer
The first step is to buy a physical TracFone Airtime Card. You can do so on their website, by calling TracFone at 1-800-378-1684 or by visiting any of their many retail stores throughout the country, such as Walmart, Target, Kmart, Dollar General, CVS, Vons, etc.
SafeLink’s website offers four different packages or Airtime cards, each with a different number of minutes. However, at TracFone’s website they offer many more packages, that may better fit your needs, therefore it’s best to buy a card on their website. Once you choose a card, you will be required to enter your phone number or your phone’s serial number.
Once you have purchased your card, you can add minutes either online or by phone, following the instructions above (‘Add minutes online’/’Add minutes by phone’).
In case you also need information How To Replace SafeLink Phones
How To Easily Recharge Safelink Phones For The USA?
You can recharge your SafeLink phone and account the same way as if you were adding minutes for the first time. There are many ways to do so (by phone, online, by contacting their customer service, or by buying an Airtime Card from a local retailer) and each way follows the same process as described above.
How To Add Tracfone Minutes To Your Safelink Phone?
As we have mentioned before, TracFone is SafeLink’s parent company and as such, you can add TracFone minutes to your SafeLink phone just the way you would add SafeLink minutes. You can do so at tracfone.com. Press ‘Refill/Add’ in the blue menu at the top of the page and choose ‘Refill’ or ‘Auto-Refill’. Then, follow the provided instructions to successfully add minutes.
If you need information SafeLink Bring Your Own Phone
How to check minutes after adding minutes on SafeLink
The simplest way to check your remaining SafeLink minutes is to text the word ‘Balance’ to 611611.
Another way to do so is by visiting SafeLink’s website and logging into your account.
Instead of visiting SafeLink’s website, you can check your balance at tracfone.com/balanceinquiry. Simply log into your account or use your phone number to check your balance and review all the details.
If you have a feature phone, you can check minutes the same way you add minutes. Follow the instructions below:
- Press ‘Menu’. The word ‘Prepaid’ will appear. Press ‘OK’ or ‘Select’.
- Select ‘Redeem airtime’ or ‘Add airtime’ and confirm.
- Scroll down until you see the message ‘Card #’ or ‘Airtime PIN’. Enter the number ‘555’ and press ‘OK’.
- If you are asked about a promo code, you can enter it or decline.
- You will receive a message with your balance. In addition, you will receive an automatic message with your balance at the beginning of each month.
Your new balance will be displayed automatically as soon as you add airtime and so will your monthly minutes. You will be able to see the remaining minutes, texts, and data.
What To Do If When Experiencing Errors, Problems And Questions
In case you check your balance and it seems incorrect or if you have trouble checking the balance on your phone or if your phone isn’t working properly, you can contact SafeLink for technical assistance. Their customer service provides a toll-free number for support.
Keep in mind that long-distance calls may be charged to your balance. As such, it may be best to use a landline phone to call technical support, as landline phones don’t charge for toll-free calls or a cell phone with an unlimited plan.
Can You Transfer The Minutes Of A Safelink Phone To An LG Tracfone?
Yes, you can transfer the minutes of a SafeLink phone to an LG TracFone. To do so, simply call TracFone’s customer service and request that they transfer your SafeLink minutes over. The customer support representative will guide you through the process and transfer your minutes and the remaining balance in no time.
Afterward, you may be required to activate your new phone. You can do so online.
You can read one of our past articles Safelink SIM Card
What Type Of Plans Does Safelink Offer?
As we have mentioned before, SafeLink’s plans differ greatly between states and depend on the area where you live.
For example, in California, SafeLink offers the following plans.
- Unlimited talk and text plan with 6 GB of high-speed data. The plan includes unlimited nationwide anytime minutes, unlimited texts, a free phone for eligible customers, free caller ID and 3-way calling, and 6 GB of data. It costs $29.88, for Lifeline members it’s free.
- ‘Bring your own phone’ program with unlimited talk text and 6 GB of data. It comes with unlimited nationwide anytime minutes, unlimited texts, a free SIM card, free caller ID and 3-way calling, and 6 GB of data. The regular price is $29.88, for Lifeline-eligible customers it’s free.
- SafeLink Unlimited Talk and Text Plan (40 GB of 4G data). The plan includes unlimited nationwide voice, unlimited text, and 40 GB of data at 4G speed, a free or discounted phone or SIM card, free caller ID, and 3-way calling. The plan costs $48.38, for Lifeline members $24.28.
- SafeLink Unlimited Talk and Text Plan (20 GB of 4G data). The plan includes unlimited nationwide voice, unlimited text, and 20 GB of data at 4G speed, a free or discounted phone or SIM card, free caller ID, and 3-way calling. The plan costs $39.88, for Lifeline members $15.78.
- SafeLink Unlimited Talk and Text Plan (8 GB of 4G data). The plan includes unlimited nationwide voice, unlimited text, and 8 GB of data at 4G speed, a free or discounted phone or SIM card, free caller ID, and 3-way calling. The plan costs $29.88, for Lifeline members $5.78.
- SafeLink Tribal Unlimited Talk and Text Plan (40 GB of 4G data). The plan includes unlimited nationwide voice, unlimited text, and 40 GB of data at 4G speed, a free or discounted phone or SIM card, free caller ID, and 3-way calling. The regular price is $49.88, for Lifeline-eligible customers, it’s free of charge.
Visit SafeLink’s official website and enter your ZIP code to find out what kind of plans SafeLink offers in your area.
Add SafeLink Minutes Others Thing You Should Know
Does SafeLink offer unlimited minutes due to the COVID19 Coronavirus crisis?
Yes, Medicaid has partnered with SafeLink Wireless to offer a Lifeline program at no cost to their members due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Their members will receive with SafeLink Health Solutions a free smartphone, 3 GB of data and 350 monthly minutes (5 GB of data and unlimited minutes in April and May), unlimited text messages, health tips and reminders, free calls to WellCare member services that won’t count in your 350 minutes.
What are the new SafeLink Wireless promotions?
SafeLink and its parent company TracFone often offer promotions and promo codes for their customers. Sometimes these codes can be found on their official websites, otherwise, you can find the codes and promotions online. Simply Google the phrase ‘SafeLink/TracFone current promotions’ and you will be able to find them. At the current moment, SafeLink’s promo code for 250 free minutes is Rush26.
Can I get SafeLink free minutes?
Yes. SafeLink offers its Lifeline-eligible customers plans with free minutes, texts, and data. You can apply for their free Lifeline-provided plans, phones, and services on their website.
Is it legal to add minutes on a SafeLink free government phone?
Of course, it is legal. SafeLink is a reliable company and Lifeline provider and they offer many ways to add minutes to their phones. As such, doing so is 100% legal.
Do SafeLink minutes roll over?
Yes. By busing and adding a SafeLink or TracFone airtime card before the 25th of any month, your unused airtime minutes, as well as your free monthly allotment and any additional airtime cards, will carry over for 3 consecutive months from the date of your last Airtime redemption. If you buy and redeem an airtime card on or after the 26th, your airtime balance will be reset and not rolled over to the next month. The minutes you bought will be rolled over with your next 3 allotments of free monthly minutes. Also, keep in mind that adding more than one airtime card simultaneously will not extent your airtime carry over for more than 3 consecutive months.