Assist Wireless is another wireless provider fully focused on supporting low-income families, seniors, and veterans through the Lifeline assistance program by offering free or highly discounted wireless services and also free government phones.
At Assist Wireless they believe that every household deserves to be connected and experience the benefits of owning a cell phone in 2021. Via their Lifeline program, they offer those who may otherwise not be able to afford phone access to emergency services, childcare, education, healthcare, and employment opportunities.
Why Does Assist Wireless Offer Free Cell Phone Services?
Assist Wireless is a Lifeline support provider. This means that they are getting government funding by participating in this program. In general, Lifeline-related offers include free monthly plans and in quite many cases also a free phone. Which is the case with Assist Wireless.
The main reason behind free phones (the purpose of Lifeline Assistance) is to help households with low income stay connected.
Herein we will cover all the information you need to make an informed decision whether Assist Wireless is the right provider for your household.
Assist Wireless Government Lifeline Program
As mentioned above, Assist Wireless offers special deals as part of their Lifeline Program, offering free plans and even free government phones to those who qualify.
In case you haven’t heard of the Lifeline Assistance program before, it is a governmental program offering a monthly discounted amount on telecommunication services for households that meet the low-income barrier or have a member participating in specific governmental programs. Some wireless companies decided to upgrade governmental discounts by offering complimentary plans. Assist Wireless is one of such companies.
Assist Wireless offers its Lifeline program in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Maryland, and Missouri.
How To Qualify for Assist Wireless Government Lifeline Program
In order to qualify for Assist Wireless Lifeline program your household must meet one of the two qualifying requirements:
- Have an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
For more info visit Government Cell Phones For Low income
- Have a household member who participates in one of the following assistance programs:
- Federal Lifeline Programs :
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (Food Stamps)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Lifeline Programs :
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans Pension or Survivors Benefit Programs
- Tribal Specific Lifeline Programs (OK):
- Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) General Assistance
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Tribal Head Start (only households that meet the income qualifying standard)
NOTE: Here you can find the federal poverty guidelines: https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines. Take the number that matches the number of persons in your household and multiply it by 1.35 to get the maximum amount of yearly income. Anything below that value will make your household eligible for the Assist Wireless Lifeline program.
What Documents Need for Assist Wireless Lifeline Program
If your household meets any of the two qualifying conditions presented above and if you have an address in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Maryland, and Missouri, you are more than welcome to apply for the Assist Wireless Lifeline program.
Note: You can use the Lifeline program discount only with one wireless provider. So, if you are already using a Lifeline discount with any other provider you can use the Assist Wireless Lifeline discount at the same time. You may, however, transfer to Assist Wireless and use their Lifeline services instead.
When applying for Lifeline program at Assist Wireless, you will need the following documents and information:
- The subscriber provided proof of eligibility if required to do so;
- A copy of a document proving low income
- A copy of a document proving membership in one of the above programs
- A copy of an identification document
- The number of individuals in the subscriber’s household, if applying for Lifeline based on income;
- Certify that the subscriber resides on Federally-recognized Tribal lands if applying for Enhanced Lifeline support;
- Name and address information – Consumers who do not have a permanent residential address must provide a temporary address, which cannot be a P.O. Box. If a consumer resides at a temporary address, the telephone service provider or state agency may require confirmation of the address;
- Date of birth and the last 4 digits of the consumer’s Social Security Number;
- Consumers participating in the Lifeline program must notify the telephone service provider within 30 days if the consumer moves;
- Consumers participating in the Lifeline program must notify the telephone service provider within 30 days if the consumer is no longer eligible for Lifeline.
How to Apply for an Assist Wireless Free Phone
In order to get your hands on a free phone offered by the Assist Wireless, you will have to be eligible (check eligibility: https://www.assistwireless.com/qualify-for-lifeline/) and apply for the Lifeline Assistance.
Assist Wireless follows the standard Lifeline assistance program requirements; meaning that their Lifeline program is only available for households that meet the low-income trash hold, which is set at 135% of federal poverty guidelines or have a member participating in one of the federal assistance supported programs.
HOW TO APPLY:
- The simplest way is to do so online:
VISIT https://www.assistwireless.com/ and CLICK the “ENROLL NOW” button on the right-hand side of the menu bar.
- Apply via standard mail or even visit a local dealer:
Send filled in Lifeline application and all supporting documents to either Assist Wireless headquarters or one of their local representatives.
- Headquarters Address: 3030 LBJ Freeway, STE 1320 Dallas, TX 75234
- Find a local dealer (only in Oklahoma): https://www.assistwireless.com/locations/
Assist Wireless Free Plans and Paid Plans
As mentioned above, Assist Wireless is fully focused on offering the Lifeline assistance program. They do not have any plans for those who don’t qualify for the Lifeline assistance. Below you can find all the details regarding all the plans offered by Assist Wireless for each state that they operate in.
NOTE: Assist Wireless offer Lifeline plans online in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Maryland, and Missouri.
- FREE plan: unlimited talks, unlimited texts, 4GB of data
- $1 plan: unlimited talks, unlimited texts, 4.5GB of data
- $5 plan: unlimited talks, unlimited texts, 5GB of data
- FREE plan (talk-based): 1000 minutes talk, 500 texts, 50MB of data
- FREE plan (data-based): 100 minutes talk, 500 texts, 3GB of data
- $1 plan (talk-based): 1000 min talk, unlimited texts, 50MB of data
- $1 plan (data-based): 100 min talk, unlimited texts, 3GB of data
- $5 plan: 600 min talk, unlimited texts, 3GB of data
- $10 plan: 1100 min talk, unlimited texts, 3GB of data
- $25 plan: unlimited min talk, unlimited texts, 4GB of data
Check out Free government phone Oklahoma
ARKANSAS, MARYLAND, and MISSOURI:
- FREE plan: 1000 minutes talk, 500 texts, 50MB of data
- FREE plan: 1000 minutes talk, and 500 texts
There are many standard services that are included with your Assist Wireless device and Lifeline phone service, including:
- Unlimited 911
- Caller I.D.
- Caller Waiting
- Live Customer Service
REFILL OPTIONS (same for Oklahoma, Arkansas, Maryland, and Missouri):
- $4 for 100MB
- $12 for 500MB
- $15 for 1GB
- $4 for 100 min
- $8 for 400 min
- $15 for 1000 min
- $5 for 1000 texts
- $8 for 2000 texts
- $12 for 4000 texts
- $25 for 100 min, 1000 text, and 1GB data
How Do I Activate Assist Wireless Free Phone?
There are three steps to complete before you can activate your free phone:
- Fill out the application (online or via mail)
- Upload your proof (copies of documents)
- Get your free phone (if you qualify).
Once you receive your phone, you need to follow the steps below:
- Insert the battery.
- Turn your phone on by pressing and holding the red power button (or End key).
- You should see a screen that says “Press “1” for English or “2” for Spanish.” Select your preferred option.
- After you select either English or Spanish, your phone will be ready to start making calls.
Note: All Assist Wireless devices power up differently. If the above information does not work for you, please contact Assist Wireless for additional help at 1-855-392-7747 or email them at [email protected]
What To Do If Assist Wireless Phone Gets Damaged, Stolen, Broken, or Lost
Lost or stolen:
Please call Customer Service immediately to have your account temporarily suspended. You will have 30 days to add a new device to your account before the service will be disconnected.
Lifeline devices that are available at retail locations can be purchased to use as a replacement device. Visit a retail location or call customer service (1-855-392-7747) to see if there are any available offers you can take advantage of. Customers may bring their own device to use as a replacement device as long as it is compatible with our networks.
Broken or damaged:
Steps you can take to obtain a replacement:
- Lifeline devices that are available at retail locations can be purchased to use as a replacement device.
- Visit a retail location or call customer service to see if there are any available offers you can take advantage of.
- Customers may bring their own device to use as a replacement device as long as it is compatible with our networks.
NOTE: If your device is defective, it may be covered under your phone’s warranty. Please review your device’s warranty for additional information regarding a replacement or repair.
All Wireless handsets purchased directly from or received from Assist Wireless may be returned for a full refund back to the original form of payment used for purchase within 30 days of receipt. A subscriber must return the complete handset as received at the time of activation. For further instructions, please contact Assist Wireless Customer Service at 1-855-392-7747.
Assist Wireless Phone Upgrade Policy
There are several places, where Assist Wireless mentions that they do offer device upgrades. Here is a sentence form Assist’s terms and conditions, “Subscribers will also have the option to purchase upgraded smartphones. Assist’s policies regarding device upgrades and replacements are available on the Company’s website.”
However, we weren’t able to find any details regarding upgrade phones on Assist Wireless’s website. If you are interested in upgrading to a better device, call their support at 1-855-392-7747 or get in touch with one of their local dealers (https://www.assistwireless.com/locations/).
NOTE: The cost of an Assist Wireless phone varies with the make and model that you choose. However, Assist Wireless usually offers at least one free phone option for lifeline consumers. In order to receive your free phone, you must be eligible for and enrolled in lifeline services with Assist Wireless.
Can I Get Assist Wireless Free Phone If I Don’t Qualify for Government Lifeline Assistance?
You need to keep in mind that Assist Wireless is focused on serving Lifeline eligible clients. This included tribal Lifeline and non-tribal Lifeline users. People that do not qualify for Lifeline support cannot attain a free phone.
With that said, you will need to ensure that you are eligible and qualify for the Lifeline Assistance before you can get your hand on a free phone at Assist Wireless.
The qualification process is rather simple and can be done online. Just visit the Assistance Wireless official website and look for the “Enroll Now!” button.
Best Free Phones at Assist Wireless
There is very little information available about the exact free phones at Assist Wireless as they don’t offer an online store, where one could purchase phones. To get any of their devices one must visit one of their 23+ local stores (https://www.assistwireless.com/locations/).
Currently, they have a special deal for LG G4, which you can definitely get for FREE if you meet all the requirements.
LG G4 is not the latest nor the best smartphone on the market, however, it was very close to the top of the line at its date of release. Thus, you can get a very solid smartphone for FREE.
The LG G4 is a 5.5” smartphone and it’s not a particularly slim or light one at that. The rear of the phone is gently curved, which means it fits in your hand nicely. The quad-HD touchscreen is razor-sharp, with graphics, images, text, and movies appearing incredibly crisp. It has a 2,560×1,440-pixel resolution and 534 pixels per inch (ppi), which puts it way above the Apple iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. The device is equipped with Qualcomm’s 64-bit, hexa-core Snapdragon 808 processor, which has a clock speed of 1.8GHz.
- Processor: Six-core (dual 1.8GHz and quad 1.44GHz), Qualcomm Snapdragon 808
- RAM: 3GB
- Screen size: 5.5in
- Screen resolution: 1,440 x 2560, 538ppi (Gorilla Glass 3)
- Screen type: IPS
- Front camera: 8MP
- Rear camera: 16MP (f/1.8, phase-detect autofocus, OIS, 1/2.6in sensor size)
- Flash: Dual LED with color spectrum sensor
- GPS: Yes
- Compass: Yes
- Storage: 32GB
- Memory card slot (supplied): MicroSD (up to 2TB)
- Wi-Fi: 802.11ac (2×2 MU-MIMO)
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1 LE, A2DP, apt-X
- NFC: Yes
- Wireless data: 4G, Cat9 (450Mbits/sec download)
- Size (WxDxH): 75 x 8.9 x 149mm
- Weight: 155g
- Operating system: LG UX 4.0 (based on Android Lollipop 5.1)
- Battery size: 3,000mAh
- Decent camera
- Color-rich display
- Strong spec list
- Camera launcher not fast enough
- The battery could last longer
- Unimpressive build
BYOD – Bring Your Own Device
Assist Wireless offers you to bring your own phone. That way you may use your existing device or purchase a phone anyplace else and use it with their FREE Lifeline plane, as long as the device is compatible with their network. To check if your phone is compatible, visit https://www.assistwireless.com/byod/ and enter your phone’s IMEI number.
Assist Wireless Free Phone Other Things You Need To Knew
How good is Assist Wireless free phone?
The phone that they mention on their website is REVVL Plus, which is a low mid-range smartphone with a large, 6” display. Based on that fact, we can assume that other phones are in a similar range. However, Assist Wireless, like all other Lifeline providers, selects free phones based on their availability.
Does Assist Wireless charge any cost for a free phone?
Phones are generally free, however, Assist Wireless may charge a Service activation fee. Service activation fees may vary by state. In most states, the activation fee will range from $15 to $80. If applicable, a company activation credit may apply. Activation fees may be deferred based on product offerings. In some states, the activation fees may be waived. Subscribers are solely responsible for the entire activation fee if discounts, waivers, or deferred program offerings are not available or applied. Assist Wireless reserves the right to change the activation fees charged to new subscribers.
How long does Assist Wireless take for a free phone?
After your application has been approved, it usually takes a couple of days for the phone to arrive in your mailbox. You can always speed up the process by visiting a rail location and sort things in person.
How good is the Assist Wireless network?
Assist Wireless network is of very high quality as they use T-Mobile signal towers.
How good is the Assist Wireless coverage area?
Assist Wireless uses T-Mobile’s network, which has one of the best coverage in the USA.
Can I have two Assist Wireless free phones?
If you follow the rules and oblige by law, you are strictly limited to one phone and one Lifeline plan. Lifeline Assistance is limited per household, which means that only one member of the same household can benefit from the Lifeline assistance and a free device.
Can I upgrade Assist Wireless free phone without cost?
Assist Wireless provided their Lifeline-eligible client with free devices and once those devices stop functioning properly, users may be entitled to a free replacement phone. Assuming that the phone didn’t stop working due to a user’s fault.
However, if you are looking for a better device than the one provided to you for free, you will need to purchase it at your own expense.
Can Seniors Get Assist Wireless Free Cell Phones?
Yes, but only seniors that are either eligible for Lifeline or Lifeline tribal support. There is no special option for seniors that do not qualify.
Can I use an Assist Wireless SIM card with another carrier phone?
Yes. Assist Wireless has a ‘Bring Your Own Phone’ option set in place. Though, in order to use their SIM card with other phones, you need to ensure that the device is compatible. Luckily, this can be easily done online (on their official website: https://www.assistwireless.com/byod/).
Is assist wireless GSM or CDMA?
Assist Wireless operates on the T-Mobile network, which is GSM.