Is There a Relationship Between Assurance Wireless and T-Mobile?
Assurance Wireless is a telephone and wireless service provider that participates in the Lifeline government assistance program – an aid program supported by the federal Universal Service Fund. The company provides discounts on monthly phone and wireless services to eligible low-income households. Qualifying customers can also receive a free phone.
As of 2020, since the merger of Sprint and T-Mobile was completed, Assurance Wireless is owned by T-Mobile, one of the largest carriers in the U.S. While T-Mobile itself also participates in the Lifeline program and thus receives funds from the government that enable it to provide discounted services to low-income people, Assurance Wireless is focused on Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) subscribers only. As such, Assurance Wireless does not provide services to customers who are not in need of government help and it offers much greater benefits than T-Mobile to those who are in need.
Is It Possible to Replace the Assurance Wireless Phone From T-Mobile?
Assurance Wireless is a popular nationwide Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Program (a new government aid program that offers discounts on internet services) provider. Qualifying low-income customers can receive a free monthly service plan with free texts, minutes, data, and hotspot data, as well as a free smartphone.
Like most Lifeline and ACP providers, Assurance Wireless does not reveal in advance exactly which phone brands and models it offers to eligible customers, as it depends on the location, plan, and availability. However, qualifying subscribers can expect to receive a mid-range Android smartphone from a reputable brand that is packed with all the essential smartphone features.
Several Lifeline providers offer free phones to eligible low-income households in order to make sure that they can stay connected to their loved ones, work, education, healthcare services, and more. If the vital device suddenly stops working or if it gets lost or stolen, the user will probably wish to replace it as soon as possible.
As T-Mobile is the owner of Assurance Wireless, many Assurance customers wonder if it is possible to replace an Assurance Wireless phone with T-Mobile.
Unfortunately, the answer is no – Assurance Wireless phone replacement with T-Mobile is not possible, regardless of whether the device has been damaged, lost, or stolen.
You can, however, replace your Assurance Wireless phone directly at Assurance Wireless. See the Assurance Wireless phone replacement process and policy in the next sections.
After you receive an Assurance Wireless phone replacement, you can if you wish, switch to T-Mobile. Before you do, make sure to check T-Mobile’s less impressive Lifeline benefits and that your Assurance Wireless phone is compatible with T-Mobile’s services.
What is the Actual Process of Assurance Wireless Phone Replacement?
As mentioned before, receiving an Assurance Wireless phone replacement from T-Mobile is not possible. Instead, you can receive an Assurance Wireless phone replacement from Assurance Wireless itself. Depending on why you need a replacement phone (what happened to the original device), you may be required to pay for the phone and shipping or not.
In case your phone is malfunctioning or stopped working altogether or if it was lost or stolen, make sure to follow these steps:
- Contact Assurance Wireless’ customer support service. You can contact the provider by mail or by phone at 1-888-321-5880.
- Talk to an agent and explain exactly what happened.
- Tell the representative that you wish to receive an Assurance Wireless phone replacement.
- Depending on your situation, the agent will explain what your options are. In certain situations, the company may offer you a free replacement device, while in other situations you will be required to buy a new phone at full price.
- The agent will then walk you through the Assurance Wireless phone replacement process.
Note: For optimal results, make sure to report the issue as soon as possible, as this way you will not lose your remaining account balance. Also, keep in mind that you may be charged a small fee for the shipment process.
Can I Replace My Assurance Wireless Phone Online?
In addition to contacting the company’s customer support service, you can also replace your Assurance Wireless phone online. To do so, follow the instructions below:
- Visit myaccount.assurancewireless.com/my-account/login.
- Enter and confirm your mobile number and press ‘Next’.
- Once you are logged in, you will see a help and contact section. You can contact the company’s support team through this channel. Again, make sure to explain your situation in as much detail as possible. The agent will explain your existing options and tell you how to proceed.
Assurance Wireless Phone Replacement Policy
If you wish to replace your Assurance Wireless phone for one reason or another, you must know the company’s phone replacement policy.
- If your phone starts malfunctioning or gets broken within the first year (without physical abuse), you may receive a free replacement phone from the manufacturer. This expense is covered by the manufacturer’s one-year warranty that only lasts 12 months after the phone has been shipped to the user.
- If your phone got lost or stolen, you can also receive a replacement device, however, you will have to pay a small fee.
- If you need a replacement phone due to any other reason, make sure to contact the company’s customer support service and the agent will inform you of your options.
- If available, you may be able to receive the exact same phone brand and model as a replacement. However, if such a device is no longer available, you will receive a similar device.
Does Assurance Wireless Have a Phone Replacement Warranty Policy for Their Own Phones?
Assurance Wireless is a Lifeline and ACP phone and wireless service provider. It does not produce its own phones. Instead, the company offers eligible customers mobile devices from other manufacturers.
As Assurance Wireless does not offer its own phones, it also does not offer warranties on its phones. In fact, unless expressly provided in writing otherwise, Assurance Wireless does not provide any warranties on services or devices. As the company uses T-Mobile’s network towers, it does not promise uninterrupted or error-free services, simply because the company does not have any control over them.
Assurance Wireless offers all services and devices on ‘as is’ basis with all faults, errors, and defects.
Does the Manufacturer Have a Phone Replacement Policy for Assurance Wireless?
Assurance Wireless may not offer a phone replacement warranty, but fret not! All Assurance Wireless free phones come with a one-year warranty from the original equipment manufacturer. This warranty is not provided by Assurance Wireless, but by the manufacturers themselves. It only covers phone malfunctions or breakdowns within the first year of use. It does not cover physical damage or any other damage due to the user’s misuse of the device. If your phone starts malfunctioning within the first 12 months of use, the manufacturer will either offer you a new one or repair the old one, both free of charge.
If your phone breaks down or starts malfunctioning after the first year, you will, however, have to pay a small replacement fee.
In case your Assurance Wireless phone is malfunctioning, make sure to contact the company’s customer support service and the agent will arrange for a replacement device. The replacement phone may not be the exact same model as your original phone.
Does the Government Lifeline Program Have a Replacement Policy for Assurance Wireless Phones?
The government Lifeline program does not offer replacement policies for Assurance Wireless phones or any other Lifeline providers’ phones, for that matter.
Instead, the government Lifeline program offers its providers funds that enable them to provide eligible customers with free or discounted monthly services and devices.
Your Assurance Wireless phone only comes with one warranty – a one-year warranty from the original equipment manufacturer.
What to Do if My Assurance Wireless Phone Does Not Work Properly or is Damaged?
In the event that your Assurance Wireless phone does not work properly or is damaged, you may be able to receive a free replacement device from the manufacturer. In order to take advantage of the manufacturer’s one-year warranty, follow these simple steps:
- Contact Assurance Wireless’s customer support service at 1-888-321-5880.
- Describe your situation.
- If you are eligible, the company will provide you with a free replacement phone.
- The replacement phone you will receive may be the same brand and model or a similar device with similar features and specifications, depending on availability.
Keep in mind that you can only receive a replacement phone from the manufacturer if the device was not misused and if it started malfunctioning within a year of the shipping date.
What to Do if My Assurance Wireless Phone is Lost, Stolen?
If your Assurance Wireless phone gets lost or stolen, on the other hand, you will not be able to receive a free replacement phone. You can, however, receive a replacement device for a small fee.
If your Assurance Wireless phone gets lost or stolen, make sure to follow these simple steps:
- Contact Assurance Wireless’s customer support service at 1-888-321-5880. Make sure to do so as soon as possible.
- Describe your situation in as much detail as possible. Explain where and when you last saw the device and what happened afterward.
- Contacting the support service as soon as possible will ensure that no one else will be able to use your remaining account balance.
- The agent will immediately suspend your account.
- The agent will then help you purchase a replacement device.
- You may have to pay for both the replacement device and shipping.
- You must agree to cooperate if the company decides to investigate the matter.
- If your phone was stolen, Assurance Wireless may waive the replacement device cost, upon receipt of a police report.
If I Switch From Assurance Wireless to T-Mobile, Am I Still Getting ACP Benefits?
Both Assurance Wireless and its owner, T-Mobile, participate in both Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program. As a result, you will still be able to enjoy Lifeline and ACP benefits if you decide to switch from Assurance to T-Mobile.
Of course, in order to participate in Assurance’s or T-Mobile’s Lifeline and/or ACP program, you will be required to meet the government-determined eligibility criteria. To sign up for Lifeline, your annual household income must be at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines or a household member must participate in a government assistance program, such as Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, some Tribal programs, etc. To participate in the ACP program, your annual household income must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines or a household member must participate in a government assistance program, such as Lifeline, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, WIC, Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program, several Tribal programs, etc.
However, keep in mind that T-Mobile only offers discounts on phone service plans and that it doesn’t offer ACP benefits directly, but through its brand Metro by T-Mobile.
Can I Keep My Number if I Switch to T-Mobile?
If for some reason, you decide to switch to T-Mobile, you will be able to keep our phone number. Nevertheless, you must make sure that your phone number is eligible to be transferred to T-Mobile.
If you wish to switch to T-Mobile and transfer your phone number, call the carrier’s customer service and explain the situation. The agent will guide you through the transition process. The transition process should be quick and simple as T-Mobile is the owner of Assurance Wireless and their services are more or less compatible.
Can I Use Any T-Mobile Phone With Assurance Wireless?
Assurance Wireless offers many great benefits to its customers. However, it does not offer a Bring Your Own Phone program and thus does not allow customers to bring their own devices to Assurance Wireless.
As such, currently and unfortunately, you can’t use any T-Mobile phone with Assurance Wireless.
Nonetheless, if this were to change in the future and Assurance would provide a BYOP program, there would be a good chance that your unlocked T-Mobile phone would be compatible with Assurance’s services. After all, Assurance Wireless is owned by T-Mobile, it uses T-Mobile’s GSM network, and it offers similar services.
As BYOP programs are increasingly popular, Assurance Wireless may decide to offer one in the future. If so, they will offer a compatibility checker. There you would be able to type in your phone’s ID number and the system would tell you if your phone is compatible with Assurance Wireless.