Jitterbug is neither a phone provider nor a manufacturer. Instead, Jitterbug is a line of phones that are incredibly easy to use and designed especially to fit seniors’ needs. Jitterbug phones are manufactured by an American connected health technology company called Lively (before 2021 the company was known as GreatCall). There are several phone providers that offer Jitterbug phones. In fact, there are also many Lifeline providers that offer a Jitterbug phone for seniors free of charge.
List of Jitterbug Phone for Seniors Free (2023)
As Lifeline providers are notoriously mysterious about their phone brands and models, it is impossible to know for sure which Jitterbug phone for seniors you could receive for free. Nevertheless, you may be able to receive one of the following Jitterbug models:
This is one of the simplest smartphones with the simplest navigation and interface. It has a large 6.2-inch screen, a simple list-based menu, voice typing, video chat, a high-quality camera, powerful speakers, a long battery life, how-to guides, and the on-screen Urgent Response button.
This is a flip phone that is incredibly easy to use. It has large buttons and a large screen, a simple list-based menu, Amazon Alexa, powerful speakers, long battery life, a magnifier and a flashlight, an 8MP video-enabled camera, one-touch speed dialing, and a dedicated Urgent Response button.
Both of these phones are designed especially for seniors and connect the user with the Lively Response team and Lively’s exclusive health and safety services.
Lifeline and ACP Plans That You Can Get With a Jitterbug free Phone
If you receive a Jitterbug phone for seniors free of charge from a Lifeline provider, the monthly Lifeline/ACP plans that you may be able to receive along with the phone depend on the provider. Lifeline providers tend to offer one or more Lifeline, ACP, or Lifeline + ACP plans for those customers who qualify for both government assistance programs (note: all Lifeline subscribers automatically qualify for the ACP as well). To see the plans, you must visit your selected Lifeline provider.
If, on the other hand, you purchase a Jitterbug phone directly from Lively, you can get one of the provider’s flexible and affordable phone plans:
- Value Talk & Text plan for $14.99 a month. The plan offers 300 minutes and $0.10 per text.
- Unlimited Talk & Text plan for $19.99 a month. The plan offers unlimited minutes and unlimited texts.
In case you have the Jitterbug Smart3, which requires a data plan, you can complete your phone plan by adding data:
- 100MB for $2.49 a month.
- 500MB for $5 a month.
- 3GB for $10 a month.
- 5GB for $15 a month.
- Unlimited for $30 a month.
You can also choose one of the following Lively Health & Safety Packages:
- Basic Package for $19.99 a month includes urgent response.
- Preferred Package for $24.99 a month includes urgent response, urgent care, and Lively link.
- Ultimate Package for $34.99 a month includes urgent response, urgent care, Lively link, and personal operator.
List of Providers That Offer Free Jitterbug Phones For Seniors in 2023
The exact phone brand and model that Lifeline providers offer to eligible customers depends on several factors, including the area, phone availability, and time of enrollment. As such, most Lifeline providers are very careful not to reveal the free phone model customers may receive in advance, which makes it hard to know which providers offer Jitterbug free phones for seniors free of charge. Nevertheless, the following Lifeline provider may offer or at least be compatible with Jitterbug phones.
AirTalk Wireless, previously known as FeelSafe Wireless is a Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program (government assistance program that offers discounts on internet services and connected devices) provider that offers its benefits in many U.S. states. The company provides eligible customers with free unlimited monthly services with talk, text, and high-speed data, as well as free phones (basic flip phones, Android smartphones, and iPhones). As the company offers many kinds of free phones, you may also be able to receive or use a Jitterbug device with its services.
To apply, go to airtalkwireless.com and press ‘Apply Now’. Enter your ZIP code in the provided box and press ‘Apply now’. If the company offers government assistance benefits in your area, you will be redirected to your state’s offer. Choose the plan and press ‘Apply Now’ once more. Fill out the company’s application form and submit it. If approved, you will be notified via email.
American Assistance is another Lifeline provider that offers free services with free monthly data, unlimited talk, and unlimited text, and free smartphones to eligible residents of many U.S. states. The phone brands and models the company offers are unknown, however, a Jitterbug phone should at least be compatible with its services.
To enroll, go to americanassistance.com and press ‘Sign up now’. You will be redirected to a page, where you can check the availability by entering your email address and ZIP code. If their free services and devices are available in your area, you will be able to fill out and submit an application form.
Cintex Wireless is a Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) provider that provides eligible customers with free unlimited monthly services that include high-speed data, talk, and text. In addition, the company offers a huge selection of free phones, including basic flip phones, Android smartphones, and Apple iPhones.
Cintex Wireless (as well as NewPhone Wireless) is AirTalk’s affiliate company. As such, its application process is the same as the one described at AirTalk. To start the application, go to cintexwireless.com/ and follow the instructions listed above.
A popular Lifeline and ACP provider that offers government discounts and benefits to eligible residents of numerous U.S. states is enTouch Wireless. The company offers a free monthly plan with free unlimited data, talk, and text, and a free 5.5-inch smartphone. Jitterbug phones should work perfectly well with enTouch’s services. You can also contact the provider and ask them if they could offer you a Jitterbug phone for seniors free of charge.
To sign up, visit entouchwireless.com/# and press ‘Enroll now’. Choose your state in the pop-up window, then choose your plan, and press ‘Enroll now’. When redirected, you can start your online application by entering your email address and ZIP code and then completing the application form.
Life Wireless is a nationwide Lifeline and ACP provider that offers free unlimited monthly data, talk, and text, 5 GB of hotspot, and a free smartphone to eligible customers. You can also bring your own eligible Jitterbug phone to Life Wireless.
To enroll and receive these benefits, go to lifewireless.com and press the ‘Apply Now’ button located on the side of the page. You will be redirected to the company’s enrollment form. To start the application, you must provide your email address and ZIP code. Then, you will be able to select your plan, prove your eligibility, and enter your personal information.
Depending on availability, you may also be able to receive a Jitterbug phone for seniors free of charge at SafeLink Wireless. In addition to a free smartphone, the company also offers free monthly services with unlimited talk, text, and data.
To apply, go to safelinkwireless.com/Enrollment/Safelink/en/Web/www/default/index.html#!/newHome, enter your ZIP code, and press ‘Start’. You will be redirected to your state’s application form, where you will be required to provide your personal information, address, device info, eligibility proof, and more. Fill it out and submit it.
Does Jitterbug Directly Provide Free Phones for Seniors?
Jitterbug is not a phone manufacturer, but a line of senior-friendly phones. As such, Jitterbug cannot provide free phones for seniors. In addition, Jitterbug’s manufacturer, Lively (also known as GreatCall), doesn’t directly provide free phones for seniors either, as it is not a Lifeline provider.
Nevertheless, Lively does provide affordable and discounted Jitterbug phones for seniors on their website. See the list of discounted senior-friendly Jitterbug phones from Lively at lively.com/phones.
If Jitterbug Does Not Offer Free Phones Directly, What Is the Process of Getting a Jitterbug Free Phone for Seniors?
You can purchase a Jitterbug phone for seniors from Lively at any time at an affordable price. However, if you wish to receive a Jitterbug phone for seniors free of charge, you must find a Lifeline provider that offers free Jitterbug devices for eligible customers.
To receive a Jitterbug phone for seniors free of charge from a Lifeline provider, you must follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Make sure that you qualify for the Lifeline government assistance program. See the eligibility criteria in the next section.
- Step 2: Gather all the documentation that proves your Lifeline eligibility, as you may be required to submit it. See the list of acceptable documents below.
- Step 3: Apply for Lifeline. See how in the section ‘How to Apply for Lifeline’.
- Step 4: Apply for a Jitterbug phone. See where in the section ‘Where to Apply for a Jitterbug Phone’.
How to Qualify for the Lifeline Program to Get a Jitterbug Phone for Seniors Free
Lifeline is a government assistance program by the FCC designed to help make communications services more affordable for low-income households. The program provides eligible households with a discount on qualifying monthly phone, internet, or bundled services of up to $9.25 or up to $34.25 for eligible households living on Tribal lands. Many Lifeline providers also offer free phones to qualifying customers.
To qualify for Lifeline, you must meet at least one of the strict FCC-determined eligibility criteria below:
- Your household income is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- You or any other member of your household participate in at least one of the following federal assistance programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- You or any other member of your household participate in at least one of the following Tribal assistance programs:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard)
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
In addition, the person who applies must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor and a resident of one of the states where the selected Lifeline provider offers its services.
Documents are Required When Applying for Lifeline to Get a Jitterbug Phone For Seniors Free
When applying for the Lifeline program, you will be required to provide certain personal information. As the government is unable to verify some of this information, you may also be asked to provide some unexpired, official documents that serve as proof of your Lifeline eligibility. Depending on your eligibility criteria and other personal information that must be verified, you may be required to provide some of the following:
- An official document that proves your annual household income and includes your full legal name and annual income. Acceptable documents include:
- Prior year’s state, federal or Tribal tax return
- Current income statement from your employer
- Paycheck stubs
- Unemployment or Workers’ Compensation statement of benefits
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
- Divorce decree
- Child support award
- An official document that proves your qualifying federal or Tribal assistance program participation and includes your full legal name, the name of the program, the name of the establishment that issued the document, and an issue date within the last 12 months or a future expiration date. Acceptable documents include:
- Benefit award letter
- Approval letter
- Statement of benefits
- Benefit verification letter
- An official document that proves your identity or age and includes your full legal name and date of birth. Acceptable documents include:
- Government, military, state, or Tribal ID
- Government assistance program document
- Birth certificate
- Driver’s license
- Social Security card
- Prior year’s tax return or W-2
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Naturalization
- Permanent Resident Card or Green Card
- An official document that proves the fact that you are alive and includes your full legal name, and shows your life activity within the last 3 months. Acceptable documents include:
- Government assistance program document
- Current utility bill
- Current income statement, such as a paystub
- Current mortgage or lease statement
- An official document that shows your address and includes your full legal name and physical address. Acceptable documents include:
- Utility bill
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Most recent W-2 or tax return
- Driver’s license or other valid government, state, or Tribal ID
Additionally, you may be required to provide your Social Security Number or Tribal ID Number. Emancipated minors will also be required to provide their emancipation status with a court document, a certificate of emancipation, or another official document.
Application Process for Lifeline to Get Jitterbug Phone For Seniors Free
There are two ways to apply for the Lifeline government assistance program. You can do so online or via mail.
- Visit nv.fcc.gov/lifeline.
- Login or create a new account.
- Choose your state of residence or territory and press ‘Get Started’.
- You will be redirected to your state or territory’s Lifeline application form. Fill it out by providing all the necessary information and documentation. Press ‘Next’ at the end of each page and in the end, submit the application.
Apply via Mail
- Visit lifelinesupport.org/wp-content/uploads/documents/get-lifeline/LI_Application_NVstates.pdf and print out a Lifeline application.
- Complete the Lifeline application.
- Add the proof documentation.
- Send the entire package to Lifeline Support Center, PO Box 7082, London, KY 40742.
Depending on your selected Lifeline provider, you may also be able to apply directly through its website, without having to apply at the Lifeline support center first.
Where to Apply for a Jitterbug Phone For Seniors Free in 2023
In order to receive a Jitterbug phone for seniors free of charge from the government, you must also find a Lifeline free phone provider in your state of residence that offers free Jitterbug devices.
Finding a Lifeline provider that offers Lifeline services in your area is easy. You can simply visit data.usac.org/publicreports/CompaniesNearMe/Download/Report, enter your ZIP code or city and state, and press ‘Search’. You will immediately see a list of Lifeline providers in your area.
However, the problem with Lifeline providers is that many of them do not disclose exactly which phone brands and models they offer in advance. Most Lifeline providers offer entry-level to mid-range touch screen Android smartphones, nevertheless, the brand and model tend to be unknown.
As such, you can contact each of the Lifeline providers in your state of residence and ask them if they could provide you with a Jitterbug phone for seniors free of charge. You can also see the list of the providers that may currently offer free Jitterbug phones for seniors.
What Benefits Do I Get After Qualifying for Lifeline
The exact list of benefits that you will be able to receive after qualifying for Lifeline depends on the Lifeline provider you choose. Most Lifeline providers offer the following benefits:
- A discount on monthly phone or internet services of up to $9.25 or $34.25 for eligible Tribal households.
- Free monthly phone or wireless services with:
- Limited or unlimited amounts of voice minutes
- Unlimited texts
- Limited or unlimited amounts of monthly data
- Perhaps hotspot data, international calls, and other perks
- A free government phone (perhaps a Jitterbug phone for seniors)
Alternative Ways to Get a Free Jitterbug Phone Without the Lifeline Program
If you are unable to receive a Jitterbug phone for seniors free of charge from a Lifeline provider, there are still some other ways to receive a Jitterbug phone.
- You can purchase a discounted Jitterbug phone for seniors directly from Lively or another retailer.
- You can purchase a used or refurbished one with a large discount.
- You may be able to receive a Jitterbug phone for seniors free of charge from a charity or a non-profit organization, such as:
- 1 Million Project
- 911 Cell Phone Bank
- Charity Mobile
- Medic Mobile
- Recycling for Charities
- Second Wave Recycling
- Secure the Call
- Veterans Advantage
Jitterbug Phone for Seniors Free Related FAQ’s
Does Jitterbug Provide Any Other Services?
Jitterbug is a line of phones, therefore it does not provide any other services. The phone’s manufacturer, Lively, on the other hand, also offers phone plans, data plans, and Lively Health & Safety Packages.
Which Jitterbug Phone Is Hearing Aid Compatible?
Both Jitterbug models are hearing aid-compatible. The Jitterbug Flip2 has an M4/T4-rated hearing aid compatibility. The Jitterbug Smart3 also has the same rating plus Bluetooth compatibility, therefore may be able to be paired with the hearing aid via Bluetooth.
Is Jitterbug Customer Service Senior-friendly?
It depends on your provider. If you purchase a Jitterbug phone directly from Lively, you will encounter a very senior-friendly customer support service. Find out more at lively.com/support.
Does a Jitterbug Phone Have an Emergency Response One-button?
Yes, all Jitterbug phones are designed especially for seniors, as such, they all feature an easily accessible on-screen Urgent Response button.
Does AARP Recommend a Jitterbug Phone for Seniors?
Yes, the AARP always recommends Jitterbug phones. In fact, they continuously name Jitterbug phone models as the best phones for seniors.
Can I Use a Jitterbug Phone With Any Carrier?
All Jitterbug phones are unlocked per nationwide standards, as such, at least in theory, they should be compatible with all carriers. However, different carriers use different networks and different technologies, as such, Lively cannot guarantee that their phones will in fact work with any carrier.