BLU (which stands for “Bold Like Us”) is an American electronics company based in Miami. They specialize in rebranding affordable mobile devices manufactured by various Chinese companies such as QiKU, Koobee, Doogee, Gionee, and Tinno Mobile, creating high-quality devices that also come with a relatively hefty price tag. So, what if you want to get a BLU smartphone or tablet for free? Well, low-income people certainly can get such a device from government assistance programs. In this article, we will explore just how you can acquire BLU smartphones or tablets for free through Lifeline and ACP.
List of BLU Smartphones and Tablets for Free in 2023
BLU has recently become one of the most popular electronics manufacturers in the US. The company offers several different mobile devices, including:
- BLU F92e 5G (smartphone)
- BLU N2 (smartphone)
- BLU F91 5G (smartphone)
- BLU G91 Max (smartphone)
- BLU G91 Pro (smartphone)
- BLU G91 (smartphone)
- BLU G 90 PRO (smartphone)
- BLU M8L 2022 (tablet)
- BLU M8L Plus (tablet)
You can purchase any of these devices through BLU’s website at https://www.bluproducts.com/home/ or through a retailer. However, if you don’t have sufficient money to afford BLU smartphones or tablets, you may still be able to get such devices free of charge.
How Can I Get BLU Smartphones and Tablets for Free?
There are several ways to obtain BLU smartphones/tablets for free, including:
- Through a government assistance program (Lifeline and/or the Affordable Connectivity Program – ACP)
- Through a charity or non-profit organization (check your local organizations and ask if they offer such devices for free; note that if they do, it’s only for low-income people)
- Through a carrier/retailer promo deal (many carriers/retailers offer frequent promotional deals on smartphones and tablets, however, these deals come with certain conditions – e.g. you may need to purchase a select plan, trade in an old device, sign a lengthy contract, etc.)
- Online through a giveaway contest, surveys, or by becoming a reviewer or marketing agent (make sure to avoid scams, as they are numerous on the internet)
As the simplest and most likely way to get a BLU smartphone/tablet for free is through a government assistance program, we will dive deeper into that process in the following sections.
Process of Getting BLU Smartphones/Tablets for Free from the Government
To receive a BLU smartphone/tablet for free from the government, you must:
- Be eligible for Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), as smartphones and tablets are only offered by the government through these two programs. Lifeline offers discounts on phones and phone/wireless services, while ACP offers discounts on monthly broadband services and connected devices (such as tablets). While the phones are often provided by Lifeline and ACP providers completely free of charge, tablets require the customer to pay a mandatory fee of between $10 and $50 (according to government rules). You can see the qualification criteria in the following section.
- Prepare for the application process by making copies of certain valid official documents that prove your eligibility and personal information, based on which the company will determine whether or not your application gets approved. See the required documentation below.
- Find a wireless company that offers Lifeline and/or ACP benefits in your area. Many wireless companies participate in both programs and some of them even offer both smartphones and tablets. As such, if you wish to receive both devices, you must find a company that offers both. On the other hand, if you only wish to receive one device, you will have more options to choose from. To receive a free phone, it’s better to opt for a Lifeline provider (although companies who participate in both programs tend to offer much better devices). If you wish to receive a tablet, opt for an ACP provider, as tablets are only offered to ACP subscribers.
- Apply for the Lifeline and ACP assistance programs. As some Lifeline/ACP companies automatically send your application to the National Verifier (an institution that must determine your eligibility on a national level) and others don’t, it’s best to first apply through the National Verifier and then through your selected provider. Note that the provider you select must operate in your state of residence, otherwise, your application won’t be approved. See the application process below.
- Enjoy the BLU smartphone/tablet or a device from another brand if BLU devices are not available. You will also get to enjoy free monthly phone and/or internet services if approved.
Do I Qualify for a BLU Smartphone/Tablet for Free from the Government?
To receive both a BLU smartphone and tablet for free from the government, you must qualify for both assistance programs. Both programs have two types of requirements. You can either qualify based on your low income or based on your participation in another government assistance program (which also shows that you are in need of financial assistance).
Income-based Lifeline and ACP Eligibility:
- To qualify for Lifeline your annual household income should be at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines.
- To qualify for ACP your annual household income should be at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.
Keep in mind that the guidelines vary by state and household size.
Program Participation-based Lifeline and ACP Eligibility:
- To qualify for Lifeline, your household must participate in any of the following assistance programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- A Tribal Assistance Program
- To qualify for ACP, your household must participate in any of the following assistance programs:
- Any of the Lifeline-qualifying programs above
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program
- Or if a household received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year
Additionally, to participate in any of these two programs, you must be at least 18 years old (or an emancipated minor), the only applicant in your household (exceptions apply), and a resident of one of the states where your selected provider operates.
How to Prove My BLU Smartphone/Tablet for Free from the Government Eligibility?
Based on the eligibility criteria above, you will have to prove either your low income or your program participation in order to get a BLU smartphone/tablet for free from the government. As you can see above, you may also be asked to prove your age or emancipation status (for the company to verify that you meet the age requirement) and your address (for the company to verify that you live in the same state the company operates).
- To prove your low income, submit a copy of a prior year’s tax return, paycheck stubs, a current income statement from your employer, a Social Security statement of benefits, an Unemployment or Worker’s Compensation statement of benefits, etc.
- To prove your program participation, submit a copy of the approval letter, statement of benefits, benefit award/verification letter, etc.
- To prove your age, submit a copy of a valid ID, passport, birth certificate, driver’s license, Green Card, etc.
- To prove your emancipation, submit a copy of an emancipation certificate or a court document.
- To prove your address, submit a copy of a valid ID, driver’s license, mortgage or lease statement, utility bill, tax return, etc.
During the application process, you will not only have to submit copies of such documents but also share some personal information, such as your name, date of birth, address, contact information, Social Security Number, etc.
Top Companies That Offer a BLU Smartphone/Tablet for Free from the Government
The vast majority of Lifeline/ACP providers are very careful not to tell the customers which mobile device model they will receive in advance, as it usually depends on the state, plan, and availability. Most of these companies simply promise to provide the customer with “a mid-range (Android) smartphone and a mid-range (Android) tablet”. As such, it is impossible to create a definitive list of companies that offer BLU smartphones and/or tablets for free. However, the following are the best Lifeline/ACP providers and they are most likely to provide you with the device you wish to receive:
- AirTalk Wireless (offers both smartphones and tablets)
- Assurance Wireless (offers only smartphones)
- Cintex Wireless (offers both smartphones and tablets)
- Easy Wireless (offers both smartphones and tablets)
- enTouch Wireless (offers only smartphones)
- Excess (offers both smartphones and tablets)
- Go Technology Management (offers only tablets)
- Maxsip Telecom (offers only tablets)
- NewPhone Wireless (offers both smartphones and tablets)
- Q Link Wireless (offers both smartphones and tablets)
- StandUp Wireless (offers both smartphones and tablets)
- TruConnect (offers both smartphones and tablets)
To find out if any of these companies operate in your area, visit https://cnm.universalservice.org/, enter your location, choose the program, and press Search. Through these companies, you can surely receive a great device. However, if you are determined to get a smartphone/tablet from BLU, you should contact each of these companies’ customer service to ask if such devices are available in your area.
Application Process for a BLU Smartphone/Tablet for Free from the Government
Step 1: Apply through the National Verifier
To apply for Lifeline, visit the website https://getinternet.gov/apply?id=nv_home. Similarly, to apply for ACP, go to https://getinternet.gov/apply?id=acp&awsl=link-from-how-to-apply. If you don’t have an account, you can create one or log in if you already have one. Fill out the application form with all the necessary information and provide the required documentation. Once you have completed the form, submit it and await notification of approval.
Step 2: Apply through your selected provider
Once your National Verifier application gets approved, save the approval ID and visit your chosen provider’s website. Enter your ZIP code, select a plan, and follow the on-screen prompts to find and complete the application form by providing your approval ID, personal info, and documents. Once approved, you will be notified.
Which Benefits Can I Expect if My Application for a BLU Smartphone/Tablet for Free from the Government Gets Approved?
If you have applied for Lifeline/ACP benefits from a provider in your area and your application got approved, you can expect the following benefits:
- BLU smartphone for free (or a smartphone from another brand, such as Samsung, Motorola, ANS, LG, etc.)
- BLU tablet for free (or a tablet from another brand, such as Alcatel, Samsung, KonnectONE, etc.)
- Free monthly talk minutes
- Free monthly text messages
- Free monthly data
- Free monthly hotspot data (not all providers offer this)
- Access to a network with nationwide coverage (most likely T-Mobile, AT&T, or Verizon)