In this article we will answer the “does Boost Mobile offer government Lifeline program” question. On top of that, we will provide you with useful details that will enable you to take your next steps accordingly.
So, are you ready to dig in? Let’s do this.
Does Boost Mobile Offer Government Lifeline Program?
So, does Boost Mobile offer government Lifeline program? The answer is yes and no. You see, when it comes to Boost Mobile and Lifeline things are slightly different than with other Lifeline-focused carriers. Generally speaking, Boost Mobile focuses on offering prepaid plans that come without annual contracts and offers very good coverage since it users T-Mobiles signal towers. And it doesn’t offer any Lifeline plans. However, you may apply your Lifeline discount in certain areas.
Moreover, there was a short window when Boost Mobile offered a special kind of Lifeline Assistance, which is no longer available. The program was called the CARE Pilot Program Discount. But unfortunately, this program ended on June 30, 2021.
Now that you know that Boost Mobile doesn’t offer Lifeline program plans but only Lifeline discounts, we need to take a closer look at it. We will let you know in which parts of the USA Boost Mobile offers Lifeline Assistance discount, who qualifies, how to apply, what are the benefits, and what are some restrictions.
To assist you even further, we will wrap things up by covering the most frequently asked questions.
If you need information on how to get a free government phone read one of our past articles Government Free Phone (Complete Guideline)
Where Is The Boost Mobile Lifeline Program Available?
As mentioned above, Boost Mobile is one of those carriers that focuses on serving Lifeline eligible customers with free plans and free phones. Its focus lies elsewhere. However, if you are a California citizen and are eligible for California Lifeline Assistance, you may use your benefits in a form of a discount towards your Boost Mobile bill.
In case you also need information Boost Mobile Plans With Free Phones
Who Qualifies For The Boost Mobile Lifeline Program?
In order to use the Lifeline discount towards the Boost Mobile bill, you need to qualify for the California Lifeline. California Lifeline has basically the same qualification criteria as the regular Lifeline. They are listed below. So, who qualifies for the Boost Mobile Lifeline discount.
Program-Based Qualification Method:
You can qualify for California Lifeline if you or another person in your household is enrolled in any one of these qualifying public assistance programs:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
- CalFresh, Food Stamps, or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC)
- National School Lunch Program (NSL)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)
- Stanislaus County Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (StanWORKs)
- Welfare-to-Work (WTW)
- Greater Avenues for Independence (GAIN)
- Tribal TANF
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Federal Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit Program
Income-Based Qualification Method:
You can qualify for California LifeLine if your household’s total annual gross income is at or less than these annual income limits (effective June 1, 2021 to May 31, 2022):
|Household Size||Annual Income Limits|
|Each Additional Member||$7,200|
How Do I Apply/Subscribe Boost Mobile Lifeline?
You can start by calling Boost Mobile support at 1-866-402-7366 and they will assist you or point you in the right direction. But the general steps to follow are listed below:
- Contact the phone carrier, in this case, Boost Mobile to begin the application process for the California Lifeline discount or Enhanced Lifeline discounts.
- The phone company (Boost Mobile) reviews eligibility rules with you, to help you ensure that you are in line with the guidelines.
- Then you receive the application form with a Personal Identification Number (PIN) in a PINK envelope in the mail within 3 weeks.
- Then you have an option of using the Online Process or Paper Process to apply:
- Online Process: apply online at californialifeline.com using the PIN provided or
- Paper Process: complete, sign, and submit your form by mail (California Lifeline Administrator, P.O. Box 138014, Sacramento, CA 95813-8014).
No matter which process you choose, you need to provide proper documentation.
- You will receive either an approval letter (if your application is approved) or a letter of disqualification (in case your application is not approved).
- If your application is approved, you that use it to complete the enrollment process with Boost Mobile.
What Are The Benefits I Get After Qualifying For Boost Mobile Lifeline Discount?
As mentioned above, Boost Mobile doesn’t offer specific free Lifeline plans. However, you get a chance to use the Lifeline discount on any of the Boost Mobile plans. As such, you get to enjoy the following benefits:
- Monthly flat rate service discount of up to $14.85
- Option to choose among any of Boost Mobile’s plans, which all include unlimited talk & text
- A chance to bring your existing phone or purchase any of discounted Boost Mobile devices
- No annual service contracts
- Mobile hotspot
- 99% nationwide coverage
- Exclusive perks
- Special deals
- Giveaways & Sweepstakes
What Are The Boost Mobile Program Restrictions
Boost Mobile has no particular program restriction, however, to use the Lifeline discount towards your Boost Mobile bill, you need to be in line with the general California Lifeline. These are as follows:
- Only one discount per household for each residential address is allowed (except for teletypewriter users and for Deaf and Disabled Telecommunications Program participants).
- Each household must choose to get the discount either on a home phone or on a cell phone, but not on both.
- Households cannot get a discount from multiple phone companies.
- Households that do not follow the one discount per household rule will lose their discounts.
What is a Household?
A household includes adults and children who are living together at the same address as one economic unit. An economic unit consists of all adults (persons at least 18 years old unless emancipated) contributing to and sharing the household’s income and expenses.
How To Get Free Or Discounted Phone And Plans From Boost Mobile
As mentioned in the previous sections, Boost Mobile does not offer free cell phones to Lifeline-eligible customers. Moreover, there are no free plans available either. However, you may use your general Lifeline monthly discount towards any plan from their general offer.
On top of that, you may take a look at their phone selection. Often, there are several phones that are highly discounted. Some more expesive phone models may be up to $300 off.
To select a plan or a device, you can do so either online or by visiting one of Boost Mobile locale stores. When doing things locally, a Boost Mobile representative will guide you through the process.
However, doing things online is way more practical for people that do not mind shopping online.
Simply visit the Boost Mobile official website and click the “PHONES” option in the main top menu. Then select the phone that you want to buy and complete the checkout process. In case you don’t have a plan yet, you will be able to choose your plan at the checkout.
Since you want to apply your Lifeline discount, make sure to contact Boost Mobile support and ensure that they apply the discount towards your account.
Read one of our past articles What Phones Compatible with Boost Mobile Service
Does Boost Mobile Offer Free Tablet Under The Boost Mobile Lifeline?
No. Unfortunately, Boost Mobile is not one of those Lifeline-focused carriers. The only benefit your get as a Lifeline eligible household is the standard Lifeline discount towards your monthly bill. They do not offer free devices.
Does Boost Mobile Offer Free Internet For Low-Income Students?
Yes. The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program that partners with wireless carriers, like Boost Mobile, to provide a temporary discount on a monthly mobile hotspot plan or a smartphone plan for qualifying low-income households. Eligible households can receive:
- Qualified households on Tribal Lands are eligible for a free Boost Mobile 35 GB smartphone plan valued at $60 or a free mobile hotspot plan valued at $50, limited to one per qualifying household.
- A one-time discount on a supporting mobile hotspot device, if applying for the monthly mobile hotspot plan discount
Can I Get a Free Phone Under Boost Mobile Lifeline?
No, the Lifeline eligibility doesn’t offer you a free phone at Boost Mobile. However, Boost Mobile may offer a special deal available to all new customers that may include a free device. As such, make sure to check out their official website for the latest deals.
Do Seniors Get Benefits Under Boost Mobile Lifeline?
There are no special deals for seniors at Boost Mobile. Moreover, there are no special benefits to seniors under the Lifeline program. Everyone who meets the eligibility requirement gets the same benefits, no matter what age.
Is Boost Mobile Network Coverage Good In Rural Areas?
Boost Mobile uses T-Mobiles network towers, which offer very good coverage. They offer slightly less impressive rural coverage than AT&T or Verizon, but still rather solid. Though, you need to always check the coverage in your particular area. Use this link to do so: boostmobile.com/coveragemap_xp.html.
How Reliable Is The Customer Care Service In Boost Mobile?
It is always rather difficult to objectively rate a company’s customer support. However, based on publicly available reviews, they get 3 out 5 stars, which means that their customer support is average.