Reasons to Cancel SafeLink Wireless Service
SafeLink Wireless is an American wireless company that offers Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) benefits to eligible low-income households. Qualifying customers can receive free monthly mobile services with free unlimited talk and text, up to 25GB of high-speed data, up to 5GB of hotspot data, free calls to Canada and Mexico, and a free smartphone.
While the company certainly offers great benefits, there are certain reasons why you would like to cancel your SafeLink service anyway:
- You may move to a state where SafeLink doesn’t operate.
- You may move to an area where SafeLink’s network coverage is poor.
- You may no longer be pleased with SafeLink’s offer and you wish to switch to another assistance provider.
- You no longer qualify for SafeLink’s Lifeline or ACP benefits.
- Your SafeLink device got lost or stolen, which requires you to cancel your service to protect your account and balance.
What Do You Need to Do Before Canceling SafeLink Service?
Before canceling your SafeLink service, there are a few things you should consider and do to avoid any issues. These things depend on whether you wish to cancel your SafeLink service permanently or temporarily. You should consider the following:
- Back up your data (contacts, photos, messages), especially if there is a chance that the company will take away the phone it offered you after canceling your service.
- Check your SafeLink contract and the company’s cancelation terms, as canceling early may result in fees or penalties.
- Make sure that your account is in good standing and pay any outstanding balances. Failure to do so may result in your account being sent to collections and negatively impacting your credit score.
- Transfer your phone number if you are switching to another provider (if you so desire). To do this, contact the new carrier and provide them with your SafeLink account information and request a number port.
- If necessary, return the phone and accessories. SafeLink will provide you with instructions on how to return the equipment.
- If you wish to cancel your service permanently, make sure to find a suitable new provider in advance. Check the new provider’s offer and network, and ensure that your phone is compatible (in case you wish to keep it and take it with you to the new provider).
- Make sure to collect all information about your account in advance, as the agent may ask you to provide some details during your cancelation process.
How Do You Cancel Your SafeLink Service?
After you have backed up your data, made sure that you won’t have to pay any termination fees or penalties, and considered all of the issues listed in the previous section, you can proceed. Now, let’s answer the most important question: How do you cancel your SafeLink service?
To cancel your SafeLink service, you can follow these steps:
- Contact customer service: Call SafeLink’s customer service at 1-800-SafeLink (723-3546) to initiate the cancellation process. The support team is available from Monday to Saturday from 8 AM to 10 PM EST and on Sundays from 8 AM to 7 PM EST.
- Provide account information: You will need to provide your account information, including your name, phone number, and any other details that are requested to verify your identity.
- Confirm cancellation: The customer service representative will confirm that you want to cancel your SafeLink service and may ask for a reason for the cancellation. Make sure to mention if you wish to cancel your service temporarily or permanently. Mention if you wish to keep your phone number and device.
- Follow instructions: The representative will provide you with instructions on how to return any equipment, such as a phone or SIM card, that you received from SafeLink.
- Verify cancellation: After following the instructions provided by the representative, verify that your service has been canceled by checking that you no longer have access to the SafeLink network.
Alternatively, you can contact the company’s support team via mail (not recommended as this would take a lot of time) or by visiting one of the provider’s retail locations. Find a location at safelink.com/wps/portal/home/retailers.
How Long Does It Take to Cancel SafeLink Wireless Service?
The length of time it takes to cancel your SafeLink Wireless service can vary depending on the specific circumstances. In general, the cancellation process can take a few hours to a few weeks to complete. The process will be longer if you wish to keep your number, have to return any equipment, or must pay any outstanding balances.
What Happens if You Cancel Your SafeLink Service?
If and when you cancel your SafeLink service, you won’t be able to use your services any longer. You won’t be able to make free phone calls, send free messages, or use free data. In some cases, you may even lose your phone number and your voicemail messages may be deleted. To prevent this from happening, make sure to back up your data and contact the customer support team so that your number gets safely transferred.
In certain cases, you will be able to reactivate your service after a while (for example, after you find your missing phone).
How to Delete SafeLink Account?
There is no need to delete your SafeLink account after you have canceled it. However, if you wish to do so, you must contact the company’s customer service department and request that they delete your account. Call the support team and follow the prompts to speak with a representative.
Can You Keep Your Phone Number After Cancelling SafeLink Phone Service?
If you want to keep your phone number after canceling your SafeLink phone service, you may be able to do so by porting your number to a new carrier. However, this may not be possible if you are canceling your SafeLink service due to outstanding balances or early termination fees. To keep your number, make sure to mention this desire to the SafeLink representative.
Do You Have to Return SafeLink Phone After Canceling SafeLink Service?
If you received a phone from SafeLink Wireless as part of their Lifeline program, you may be required to return it to the company after canceling your service. This requirement may depend on the specific terms and conditions of your contract with SafeLink, and you should contact SafeLink customer service to confirm whether or not you need to return the phone.
Can SafeLink Itself Cancel Your Wireless Service at Any Time?
SafeLink can automatically cancel your wireless service at any time. The company can do so for a variety of reasons, including:
- You are no longer Lifeline/ACP-eligible or you failed to complete the annual recertification on time (within 60 days after receiving the notification).
- You have reached the end of your service cycle.
- Your phone was reported lost or missing.
- Your account was inactive for more than 45 days.
- You have violated the company’s terms and conditions.
What to Do if Your SafeLink Service is Automatically Terminated?
If your SafeLink service gets automatically canceled, the first thing you should do is contact SafeLink customer service to find out why your service was terminated. There may be a variety of reasons why your service was terminated, such as failure to renew your eligibility for the Lifeline program, failure to recertify your information, or reaching the end of your plan cycle.
It’s important to act quickly to restore your service, as some issues may require prompt attention to avoid losing your phone number or being subject to additional fees.
How to Reactivate Your SafeLink Cellphone
Depending on the reason for your SafeLink service cancelation, you can take appropriate action to restore your service.
For example, if your eligibility or recertification has lapsed, you may need to provide updated information to SafeLink to demonstrate your continued eligibility for the Lifeline program. If you have reached the end of your plan cycle, you may need to purchase additional services to continue using your phone. If your phone is reported missing, you must find it or get a new one. If your account was inactive for too long, you must simply contact the support team to reactivate it. However, if you have failed to respect the company’s terms and conditions, you may not be able to reactivate your service.
How to Transfer SafeLink Lifeline Benefit?
As long as you are never receiving Lifeline/ACP benefits from two companies at the same time, you can transfer your benefits at any time. To do so, contact the new provider and ask them to transfer your service.
Tell the agent if you wish to bring your phone and number (after making sure with SafeLink that you can do so) and then provide all the information that is required to transfer your service, such as your name, date of birth, SSN or ID number, address, phone number, and your verbal or written consent acknowledging that you will lose your Lifeline benefit with the previous provider and that consumers may not have more than one Lifeline benefit per household.