Comcast is the largest American telecommunications conglomerate. It offers telecommunications services, cable TV, home internet services, telephone services, and more. The company owns and manages Xfinity – a subsidiary that offers high-speed and reliable internet plans, as well as other services. There are different ways to get Comcast free internet and discounted services and in this article, you will find out how.
How to Find Comcast Free Internet in Your Area?
Your best bet to receive Comcast free internet is to apply for Xfinity’s Internet Essentials or Internet Essentials Plus.
Xfinity offers fast and reliable internet plans in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
To make sure Xfinity offers special government assistance discounts in your area, visit xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/acp/free-internet, scroll down to your area, and enter your ZIP code.
Ways to Get Comcast Free Internet
Xfinity’s Internet Essentials or Internet Essentials Plus With ACP
The best way to get Comcast free internet or discounted services is through Xfinity’s Internet Essentials or Internet Essentials Plus. Both of these two programs offer a government discount for eligible customers through the FCC’s Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). ACP offers discounts on monthly internet services of up to $30 or even $75 for eligible Tribal households.
Through the ACP program, you can get Internet Essentials – 50/10 Mbps internet service for only $9.95 a month plus tax or Internet Essentials Plus – 100/20 Mbps internet service for just $29.95 a month plus tax.
Step 1: How to Qualify
You are ACP-eligible if your annual household income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines or if you participate in one of the following government assistance programs:
- Public Housing Assistance
- National School Lunch Program
- Veterans Pension
- Federal Pell Grant
- Tribal Assistance Programs
Moreover, you must:
- Live in an area where Xfinity internet service is available
- Be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor
- Not be an existing Xfinity internet customer or subscribed within the last 90 days
- Not have an outstanding debt to Comcast that is less than one year old
Step 2: Prove Your Eligibility By Providing the Proper Documentation
Depending on your eligibility criteria, you can prove your ACP eligibility by providing clear copies of some of the following acceptable documents:
- Annual income at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines: prior year0 state, federal, or Tribal tax return, current income statement or a paycheck stub, a statement of benefits, etc.
- Lifeline: Approval letter, statement of benefits, benefit award letter, benefit verification letter, etc.
- Medicaid: Medicaid card or most recent eligibility letter, approval letter, statement of benefits, etc.
- SNAP: Approval letter or eligibility letter for SNAP, statement of benefits, etc.
- SSI: Eligibility letter or approval letter for SSI, statement of benefits, etc.
- Public Housing Assistance: Copy of your lease, housing assistance payment (HAP) contract, or eligibility documentation from HUD
- National School Lunch Program: Copy of a letter that proves your current participation in the National School Lunch Program or Head Start and includes your child’s name, the school name, and the address of where you’re requesting service.
- WIC: Eligibility letter or approval letter for WIC
- Veterans Pension: Eligibility letter for VA Pension from the Veterans Administration
- Federal Pell Grant: Documentation from your institution’s financial aid office
- Tribal Assistance Programs: Eligibility or approval letter for a Tribal assistance program
You may also be asked to verify your identity, age, address, emancipation status, or other personal information.
Step 3: Submit Your Application
- Call 855-8-INTERNET (855-846-8376) or visit internetessentials.com.
- Complete the application form.
- If you have already applied through the National Verifier, make sure to use your National Verifier ID when enrolling, as this way Comcast will make sure that you qualify.
- Provide the required personal information and copies of proof documentation during the application process.
In case you haven’t yet applied through the National Verifier, you can do so online or via mail. To apply online, visit nv.fcc.gov/lifeline/?id=nv_flow&ebbp=true&awsl=link-from-how-to-apply. Login or create a new account to complete the ACP application form. If you apply online, you may receive immediate approval. To apply via mail, you must print out a physical application form. Do so at affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf. According to the USAC, it’s also highly advisable to include a Household Worksheet, which is available at affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf. Both these forms are also available in Spanish and 9 other languages. Add the copies of the documents and send the entire package to ACP Support Center, PO Box 7081, London, KY 40742.
Step 4: Get Approved
If approved, Comcast will let you know via email, text message, or regular mail. If the company will need any other documentation or information, they will let you know as well.
Once approved, you can schedule an installation and get a Getting Started Kit. You can expect to have a home internet connection 5 to 7 business days after being approved.
Step 5: Get an Additional ACP Discount
To apply your ACP discount to your Comcast internet plan, visit xfinity.com/support/articles/emergency-broadband-benefit-enroll, choose the type of internet you have, and press the large ‘Apply Now’ button underneath it. Follow the on-screen prompts to apply the ACP benefit to your account.
Get Free Comcast Internet Using Comcast Xfinity Wi-Fi Hotspots
Comcast free internet provides customers who apply for Xfinity’s Internet Essentials or Internet Essentials Plus with access to millions of Wi-Fi hotspots.
Connecting to a free Wi-Fi hotspot will enable you to enjoy free internet services even outside of your home. As there are so many Wi-Fi hotspots available nationwide, you will have the opportunity to access a safe internet connection wherever and whenever.
To see a map of Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots, visit xfinity.com/wifi. To connect, see the list of available networks, select ‘xfinitywifi’, press ‘connect’, and then launch a browser.
How Long Does It Take to Get Connected After Applying for Comcast Free Internet?
Once your Comcast internet application got approved, you can expect to get a home internet connection within five to seven business days.
Nevertheless, how long the actual approval process will take depends on several factors. It may be faster if you have applied at the National Verifier in advance, if you have provided correct, complete, and valid information and documentation, if you have provided a valid Social Security Number, and if you meet the program’s eligibility criteria without any ambiguities.
Moreover, when exactly you can expect to receive your Comcast free internet also depends on where you live and if you have everything you need to get started (a Getting Started Kit and an installation schedule).
What to Do if You Don’t Qualify for ACP With Comcast (Xfinity)?
In case you don’t qualify for Comcast free internet, there is no need to despair! There are still many other ways to get discounted internet services.
1. Get Free/Discounted Internet From Another ACP Provider
The single government assistance program that offers discounts on internet services (mobile or home internet) is the new Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). If you qualify for ACP (but not Comcast free internet), you can get free internet services from another ACP provider. See the list of other ACP companies that offer discounts on internet services in the following section.
2. Get Free/Discounted Internet From a Company
Companies that currently offer free or discounted internet services include:
Altice Advantage Internet (Optimum and Suddenlink)
This company offers both ACP discounts as well as their own discounts for low-income people. Qualifying households can receive up to 30 Mbps for $14.99 a month and the first 60 days are free.
To apply, you must show your low income. Go to apply.optimumadvantageinternet.com/main and press ‘Qualify Now’ to submit your application.
Eligible low-income households that can prove their eligibility can receive an internet plan with 10 Mbps for only $9.95 a month.
To enroll, visit mediacomc2c.com or call (855) 904-2225.
Spectrum Internet Assist
Qualifying applicants in need can get an internet plan with up to 30 Mbps that costs $14.99 a month. To enroll, you will be required to prove your eligibility.
Start your application process by visiting spectrum.com/internet/spectrum-internet-assist and pressing ‘Save Now’. Simply follow the on-screen prompts to apply.
3. Other Ways to Get Free/Discounted Internet
Moreover, there are some other ways to get discounted or even free internet, including:
- Mesh networks
- Through an antenna
- Through a satellite
- Public internet
- Free school district internet for students
Are There Any Other Options to Get Free Internet Besides Comcast?
Indeed! As mentioned above, there are many other ACP companies that offer free or discounted internet services through the Affordable Connectivity Program. If you apply for the program, you should check out the following providers:
Access from AT&T
Access from AT&T offers a 10 Mbps plan at only $5 or $10 a month. However, only ACP-eligible residents of one of the states where the company operates can apply.
To sign up, visit att.com/internet/access. If you have already applied through the National Verifier, you can call the company at 855.220.5211 to sign up for the benefit from them.
Altice Advantage Internet (Optimum and Suddenlink)
The company offers ACP discounts on eligible customers that live in one of the states where the company operates.
To receive the company’s ACP discount from Optimum, go to optimum.com/ACP, if you wish to get the discount from Suddenlink, visit suddenlink.com/affordable-connectivity-program. In both cases, simply follow the on-screen instructions to submit the application.
ACP subscribers living in qualifying areas can receive an affordable internet plan with up to 15 Mbps for only $9.95 a month.
Enroll by visiting cox.com/residential/internet/connect2compete.html, checking their qualifications, and then submitting the form. You can also apply by phone at (855) 222-3252.
This non-profit organization also offers ACP discounts. If you are a qualifying customer, you can apply for a low-price internet plan for only $10 to $20 per month.
Begin the application process, by visiting https://www.everyoneon.org/find-offers, entering your ZIP code, and pressing ‘Find Internet and Computer Offers’.
This internet service provider offers internet plans with up to 50 Mbps for only $9.95 a month and 60 days of free internet services. To qualify, you must meet the ACP eligibility criteria and live in an area where the company offers its services.
Sign up by visiting internetfirst.com/apply. You can fill out the application form and submit it online or via mail.
PCs for People
This is another non-profit organization that offers both low-price computers and internet plans for low-income people in need. As the organization participates in ACP, you must meet the government assistance program requirements to apply.
Visit pcsforpeople.org/low-cost-internet to apply. There, you can choose the option that best fits your needs and submit the form.
Lastly, even a huge telecommunications company, such as Verizon, offers government discounts on internet services. You can get a 200 Mbps internet plan for only $19.99 a month.
Apply by visiting verizon.com/info/low-income-internet. Press ‘Apply Here’ and follow the on-screen prompts to fill out and submit the application form.
Benefits of Comcast’s Free Internet
As you can see, there are many companies and services that offer free or discounted internet plans. Some do so through the Affordable Connectivity Program, while others offer their own discounts. Most of the options listed above are only available to low-income people.
Nevertheless, Comcast free internet is still one of people’s favorite affordable internet options. Applying for Comcast free internet comes with numerous benefits, including:
- Internet Essentials: 50/10 Mbps internet service for just $9.95 a month plus tax or Internet Essentials Plus: 100/20 Mbps internet service for just $29.95 a month plus tax
- No activation fees
- No equipment rental fees
- No contract
- No credit check
- No installation fees
- In-home Wi-Fi
- The ability to purchase a computer for just $149.99 plus tax
- Access to free internet training (online, in print, or in person)
- Access to Xfinity’s Wi-Fi hotspots
- A wireless gateway, delivering in-home Wi-Fi at no extra cost
Tips for Making the Most of Free Comcast Internet
In order to have the most satisfactory experience with your Comcast internet service, make sure to follow the simple tips:
- If you are not at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor, you should ask another member of your household to apply – one that does meet this condition. There is only one ACP discount available per eligible household anyway.
- If you are an existing Xfinity internet customer or have been subscribed to its services in the last 90 days, make sure to wait 90 days to apply.
- If you have an outstanding debt to Comcast that is less than one year old, make sure to pay it off.
- After applying for Xfinity’s Internet Essentials or Internet Essentials Plus, make sure to also apply your ACP discount.
- Make sure to apply for ACP through the National Verifier in advance (see how above) as this will make the application process much faster. Also, make sure to save your National Verifier ID.
- Make sure to provide the same information in your Comcast application as you have in your National Verifier application.
- Make sure to only provide truthful, valid, and complete information and documentation.
FAQ for Comcast Free Internet
What Equipment is Included in the Internet Essentials Plan?
A modem and Wi-Fi router.
What is the Speed of the Comcast Free Internet?
You can get Internet Essentials with 50/10 Mbps internet speeds or Internet Essentials Plus with 100/20 Mbps internet speeds.
Can I Get the Free Internet Program if I Have Outstanding Bills With Comcast?
Households with outstanding debt owed to Comcast may be eligible for Internet Essentials. The company is waiving this qualification if you are approved by December 31, 2023. After this date, standard eligibility rules apply.
Are There Any Hidden Costs Associated With the Free Comcast Internet?
No, not normally.
What Happens if I Move to a New Address While Availing of the Program?
If you move to an address where Comcast doesn’t operate, you won’t be able to keep receiving the benefits.
Can I Upgrade to a Paid Plan if I Am Already Enrolled in the Free Comcast Internet?
How to Find Comcast Best Internet Deals Available in Your Area?
You can see the current deals at xfinity.com/learn/deals/internet.