Cricket Wireless is a popular American wireless service provider owned by AT&T and based in Atlanta. The company offers prepaid mobile phones, no-contract cell phone plans, fast shipping, affordable prices with no overages, AT&T’s reliable nationwide network, and regular special deals for both new and existing customers. Currently, for example, they offer new customers a free Samsung Galaxy A01, LG Fortune 3, or Nokia C2 Tava simply for switching to Cricket.
Cricket Wireless is without a doubt a great service provider. However, is it supportive when it comes to phone replacements? Does it offer replacement phones and under which conditions? To find out this and more, keep reading.
Why Do You Want to Replace Your Cricket Wireless Phone?
Cricket Wireless offers a large variety of amazing high-quality mobile devices ranging from regular flip phones to the most advanced smartphones. In addition, they allow their customers to bring their own devices. As such, you may be wondering why one would need a replacement phone in the first place. Well, there are several reasons a customer may at some point wish or need to get a replacement device. For example:
- If your cell phone got lost.
- If your phone got stolen.
- If your phone got damaged or malfunctioning.
- If your phone got broken.
If something like that happens, you will need a replacement phone as soon as possible. Luckily, Cricket has your back.
- If you wish to upgrade your phone.
Smartphone manufacturers come up with new amazing features every year. You may find a phone that has a special feature that would really make your life easier or you could simply be tempted to try something new, exciting, and better than before. Perhaps you want a phone that comes with a better camera, a larger screen, more storage, a longer battery life, etc.
Keep in mind though, that while you may be entitled to receive a free or discounted replacement phone from Cricket Wireless in case of an emergency (if your phone breaks down), you will have to pay for the upgrade phone yourself (unless the provider gives you a special deal).
Things to Remember Before Replacing a Phone From Cricket Wireless
Before you replace a phone from Cricket Wireless, make sure to keep the following things in mind.
- Know the difference between a replacement device and an upgrade device
You may receive a replacement phone for a reduced price (if you have Cricket Protect) or free of charge (if your phone is still under the manufacturer’s warranty and it is malfunctioning without you damaging it in any way). An upgraded phone, on the other hand, is a device that you can buy at full price. You can either buy a Cricket phone online or in a Cricket store or you can bring your own eligible phone to the provider.
- Know the difference between the manufacturer’s warranty and Cricket Protect
The limited warranty provided by the manufacturer is usually only valid for one or two years from the date you purchase your phone. If a hardware malfunction develops within that period then you are entitled to a repair, replacement, or refund.
In case you have the Cricket Protect feature, you can get a replacement phone in case your original phone got lost, stolen, accidentally damaged, or broken. The feature is not for free. You have to pay $8 a month for this insurance feature and pay a $10-250 deductible for the replacement device.
- Know the claim limits
Each Cricket customer that has the Cricket Protect feature is allowed up to three claims in any consecutive 12-month period. You can only use this feature if you have prior to losing or damaging your phone.
What Type of Replacement Phone Does Cricket Provide?
The first thing you need to know when it comes to Cricket replacement terms and conditions is that Cricket Wireless offers no warranties on devices. The only warranty on a device is the limited warranty provided by the manufacturer. Manufacturers’ warranties usually cover all expenses related to malfunctions and complete failures of the device that is not caused by the user in any way. In other words, if your phone starts malfunctioning or breaks down without you having damaged or misused it in any way, the phone’s manufacturer will repair or replace the device with the exact same device at its own cost. However, manufacturers do not protect your device against loss or theft. Neither does Cricket Wireless.
Luckily, Cricket Wireless does offer Cricket Protect – an optional feature you can add to your eligible phone (an eligible Cricket phone or an eligible BYOP device). It protects your phone against loss, theft, damage, and out-of-warranty malfunctions and it helps you get a replacement phone fast and easy. This feature costs $8 a month and it requires the user to pay a $10-250 deductible for the replacement device.
The replacement device may be a new or refurbished device of the same or similar model. The exact color, brand, model, and features may be different and the compatibility of accessories is not guaranteed. The replacement equipment you receive will come with a 12-month replacement warranty.
What to Do If Cricket Phone Doesn’t Work?
The first thing you should do if you notice that your phone is malfunctioning or breaks down completely is to check if the device is still under the manufacturer’s warranty. If the answer is yes and if you haven’t misused or damaged the device in any way, you may be able to get a free replacement phone from the manufacturer itself.
In case the manufacturer’s warranty isn’t valid anymore or if you accidentally dropped your phone, spilled it, or damaged it in any other way, you can only hope that you have the Cricket Protect feature, otherwise, you won’t be able to receive a replacement phone.
If you do have Cricket Protect, file a claim. You can call Cricket’s customer service at 1-855-309-8342, explain what happened and tell them you wish to file a claim or you can file a claim online at phoneclaim.com/cricket. If your claim is approved, you will be able to pay the $10-250 deductible and receive a new or refurbished replacement phone. Until you receive the replacement device, you can place your Cricket SIM card into your own compatible phone to use their services.
What to Do if Your Cricket Phone Is Lost, Stolen, or Damaged?
If you lost your phone, accidentally damaged it, or if the device got stolen, you won’t be able to benefit from the manufacturer’s warranty, even if it is still valid. To get a replacement phone from Cricket Wireless in any of these three cases, you must have Cricket Protect.
If you do have Cricket Protect, simply file a claim. You can do so by phone at 1-855-309-8342 or you can do it online at phoneclaim.com/cricket. If your claim is approved, you will be able to pay the $10-250 deductible and receive a new or refurbished replacement phone. Until you receive the replacement device, you can place your Cricket SIM card into your own compatible phone to use their services.
In case your phone got lost or stolen, make sure to contact Cricket’s customer service immediately, as you will be responsible for any charges incurred by a third party until you report the incident. Claims must be filed within 60 days of the date of the incident.
If your device is missing, you should also consider temporarily suspending your service and canceling Auto Pay. If you find your phone, you will be able to easily restore the service. However, keep in mind that if you cancel or suspend a line of service, you won’t get a credit or refund for unused monthly service.
In case you also need information how to Replace Cricket SIM Card visit Cricket SIM Card Replacement Guide
What Is Cricket Wireless Phone Replacement Process
Cricket Wireless can only offer you a replacement phone if you have the Cricket Protect insurance feature. This feature, which is available for $8 a month, will protect your device against loss, theft, accidental damage, and complete failure. Cricket Protect offers the following benefits.
– With Cricket Protect, you can get a cracked screen repair for eligible devices in select areas for $29 as soon as the same day. All screen repaired smartphones come with a one-year limited warranty on the repair.
- With Cricket Protect, you can receive a replacement phone, battery, charger, and SIM card.
- It protects your device in case of loss, theft, accidental or liquid damage, in-warranty exchanges, and out-of-warranty malfunctions (mechanical or electrical). Note: it does not cover cosmetic damage.
- With Cricket Protect, you are entitled to receive a new or refurbished replacement device of the same or similar kind and quality model. The color, brand, model, and features of the device may be different. To receive the replacement device, you will be required to pay a non-refundable deductible ($10-250). Note: compatibility of accessories is not guaranteed.
For more information about Cricket Protect, visit cricketwireless.com/support/protect-my-phone/cricket-protect.html.
In case you have Cricket Protect and your phone got lost, stolen, damaged, or broken, you can file a claim. See Cricket Protect’s full replacement process below.
- Step 1: Before you file a claim, make sure that you have the following information: your phone number, your phone’s make and model number, the account holder’s billing address, the date, time, location, and details of the incident, and your credit or debit card information to pay the deductible.
- Step 2: File a claim. You can do so by calling Cricket’s customer support at 1-855-309-8342 or by visiting phoneclaim.com/cricket and selecting ‘Start a Claim’ or ‘Get Started’. You will be asked to provide all the information listed above and to pay the deductible.
- Step 3: As soon as your claim is approved, Cricket Wireless will ship you your new or refurbished replacement phone. Claims that are approved by 7 pm ET will be shipped and generally even delivered the next business day. Make sure to file your claim within 60 days of the date of the loss or incident.
- Step 4: Once you receive your replacement phone, activate it promptly. To do so, simply follow the activation instructions provided in the replacement package.
Can I Replace My Cricket Phone Online?
There are two ways to file a claim. You can do so:
- By phone (call Cricket’s customer support at 1-855-309-8342)
- Online (visit phoneclaim.com/cricket and press ‘Start a Claim’ or ‘Get Started’)
In both ways, you will be required to provide your phone number, your phone’s make and model number, the account holder’s billing address, the date, time, location, and details of the incident, and your credit or debit card information to pay the deductible.
Read one of our past articles Metro PCS Phone Replacement Guide
How Do I Permanently Deactivate Cricket Wireless Lost or Stolen Phone?
If your device got lost or stolen, you can temporarily suspend your service, which can be easily restored as soon as you find it. To suspend your service, make sure to contact Cricket’s customer service at 1-855-309-8342.
In case you don’t find the device and you wish to permanently deactivate your service (for this reason or any other), also contact Cricket’s customer service at 1-855-309-8342.
Cricket Wireless Replacement Phones and New Phones – Is the Activation Process the Same?
Theoretically, the activation process is the same for new and replacement Cricket phones. However, as the full activation is already completed once you have activated your new device, activating a replacement device could be as simple as simply inserting the SIM card into the device. Nonetheless, it depends on the device, the service, and whether or not your SIM card is old and already activated or entirely new.
When you receive your replacement phone (and SIM card), activate it promptly. To do so, simply follow the activation instructions provided in the replacement package or follow the instructions provided below.
If you have ordered your Cricket service online, you have to activate it online as well.
- Step 1: Insert your SIM card before activating the service.
- Step 2: Find your order number and phone number located in your order confirmation email and your packing slip.
- Step 3: Go to cricketwireless.com/activate.html# and follow the steps. Among other information, you will need to provide your four-digit Cricket account PIN. In case you forgot your PIN, you can contact Cricket’s customer support.
If you have purchased your Cricket service from a non-Cricket retailer, such as Amazon, Walmart, or Target, you can follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Prepare your SIM card and device, a copy of your current wireless bill (in case you wish to transfer your number), a credit or debit card, a Cricket refill card, or Service Payment Card to pay for the first month of service, and your four-digit Cricket account PIN. In case you forgot the PIN or wish to reset it, contact Cricket’s customer support.
- Step 2: Go to cricketwireless.com/join.
- Step 3: Verify your ICCID and IMEI numbers. Type them into the provided boxes and press ‘Continue’.
- Step 4: Choose what kind of a customer you are what you wish to do (activate a new phone, activate a replacement phone, add a new line, etc.).
- Step 5: Select your plan and features (if applicable).
- Step 6: Select your phone number (if applicable).
- Step 7: Review your cart and information.
- Step 8: Enter your payment information.
- Step 9: Transfer your current wireless number (if applicable).
- Step 10: Complete your order and activate. Make sure to select ‘Activate’ from the receipt page and insert your SIM card before you activate the device.
To activate a new device, you must follow the instructions above (depending on where you bought your device and SIM card). However, if you wish to activate the replacement phone, you can try simply inserting your Cricket SIM card into the device and hopefully, the service will already be activated. You can make sure by placing a call and sending a text message.
Tricks to Help You Locate Your Cricket Phone if Lost or Misplaced
In case your Cricket phone is missing, you must report it lost or stolen as soon as possible. However, first, make sure that it is not simply misplaced. Below, you can find a few simple tricks that may help you find your missing phone.
- If you have an Android smartphone and you have used some of Google’s services on it, you can try locating it with Google Android Manager. Take a computer, a tablet, or another smartphone and log into your Google account. Search for ‘Find my Android phone’ and open the ‘Find ma phone’ website or app. Open the software and follow the provided instructions.
- If you have an iPhone, you can try locating it with iCloud or ‘Find my iPhone’. Launch the program and follow the provided steps.
- Call your phone number from another phone. This is the simplest, yet sometimes most effective way to find your phone. However, it will only work if your phone is turned on and not in silent mode. In case a stranger answers, kindly ask them to store it or send it to you.
- Call Cricket’s customer service at 1-855-309-8342 and ask them to help you find your phone. Ask them if you should contact the police.
How to Submit Cricket Wireless Phone Replacement Claim if Not Replaced by the Authority
As we have mentioned before, the only way Cricket Wireless will provide you with a replacement phone is if you have Cricket Protect. If you do, you can file a claim by calling Cricket’s customer support at 1-855-309-8342 or by visiting phoneclaim.com/cricket and selecting ‘Start a Claim’ or ‘Get Started’. You will be required to provide some necessary information (mentioned above) and pay a $10-250 deductible.
If your device is malfunctioning without you causing any damage to it and if it is still under warranty, you may also receive a replacement phone from the manufacturer itself.
If you don’t have Cricket Protect but you did insure your phone at another insurance company, you can file a claim with your insurance company.
In case you don’t have any protection, you will have no other choice but purchase another Cricket device or to use another compatible phone with Cricket’s services.
You can read one of our past articles How To Replace Qlink Wireless Phone
Cricket Wireless Replacement Phone List
The replacement phone you may get if you have Cricket Protect depends fully on the original device. The replacement phone may be new or refurbished of the same or alike kind and quality model. The exact color, brand, model, and features may be different. Cricket Protect doesn’t guarantee the compatibility of accessories. The $10-250 deductible you will be required to pay in order to receive the replacement phone also depends on the price of the original device. You can find out more about Cricket Wireless replacement devices at phoneclaim.com/cricket.
Does the Insurance Company Replace Cricket Wireless Phone if Lost or Broken or Damaged?
Yes, Cricket Protect is an insurance feature by Cricket Wireless that will replace your phone if it is lost, stolen, damaged, or broken. If you have any other phone insurance, you may also receive a replacement phone (depending on the terms and conditions of your insurance).
How Do I Report My Cricket Wireless Phone Lost or Stolen?
If you have Cricket Protect, you can file a claim by calling Cricket’s customer support at 1-855-309-8342 or by visiting phoneclaim.com/cricket. If you don’t have Cricket Protect, you should still report the incident at 1-855-309-8342, simply to temporarily suspend your service and thus make sure no one else uses it.
Does Cricket Wireless Really Replace a Lost Phone?
Sure, they do. However, in order for Cricket Wireless to replace your lost phone, you must have the Cricket Protect insurance feature.
Can I Find My Friend’s Lost Cricket Wireless Phone Using My Cricket Wireless Phone?
Yes, you can find your friend’s lost Cricket Wireless phone using your Cricket Wireless phone. To do so, allow your friend to log into his or her Google account and use ‘Find my phone’ (if they have an Android device) or to log into his or her iCloud and use ‘Find my iPhone’ (if they have an iPhone).
How Long Does It Take to Replace a Cricket Wireless Phone?
Claims filed and approved by 7 pm ET will be shipped and generally even delivered the next day. Deliveries to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands cannot be shipped for next-day delivery.
Does Cricket Wireless Charge Me When I Replace My Phone?
Yes, Cricket Wireless will charge you to replace your phone. First of all, you will have to pay $8 a month for the Cricket Protect service, and secondly, you will be required to pay a $10-250 non-refundable deductible for the device.
Can I Change My Cricket Wireless Phone Number When I Replace My Phone?
You can change your phone number at any time, regardless of whether you get a replacement phone or not. To do so, your account must be active. Keep in mind that you may not change to a vanity or toll-free number and that you will be charged a $14 number change fee. If you wish to change your number, simply call 1-800-CRICKET (1-800-274-2538) or chat with Cricket’s customer support. You can read more at cricketwireless.com/support/account-management/change-my-phone-number.html.
Can I Use My Old Cricket Wireless SIM in a New Cricket Wireless Replacement Phone?
Yes, you can use your old Cricket SIM in a new Cricket replacement phone.