What Do I Need Before Activating a Cricket SIM Card?
Cricket Wireless is an American wireless service provider owned by AT&T. It offers high-quality mobile devices, affordable services, nationwide coverage, and reliable services with no contract to millions of subscribers across the United States.
If you are planning to become one of Cricket’s subscribers you will have to activate your Cricket SIM card in order to use the provider’s services. Before you do so, you must prepare certain items, which you will need during the activation process.
- If you are planning to bring your own phone, you must unlock it.
- Check your own phone’s compatibility with Cricket.
- Get a SIM card or a new Cricket phone, which comes with a SIM card.
- Prepare your phone number.
- Prepare your Cricket account PIN.
What to Do Before Cricket SIM Card Kit Activation
The most important thing to do before activating Cricket SIM card is to get a phone and/or SIM card. Cricket Wireless enables customers to either buy a new phone directly from the provider or to bring their own device.
If you wish to buy a new Cricket phone, you can do so online or in-store. The company offers all kinds of devices, ranging from basic flip phones to most advanced smartphones from some of the most reputable brands, such as Samsung, Apple, Motorola, etc.
On the other hand, if you prefer to bring your own device, you must make sure the device is compatible with Cricket’s services.
Depending on whether you have already purchased the service or not and if you already have a device or are planning to purchase one, these are the things you must do before activating your Cricket SIM card:
For New Cricket Customers (Service Needed, BYOP):
- In case you bring your own phone, you must unlock it. In case your existing phone is not yet unlocked, you must contact your original wireless carrier and ask them to unlock it. In most cases, the representative will either unlock it remotely or walk you through the simple process, as long as you meet the provider’s unlock requirements.
- If you decide to bring your own phone, you must also check the device’s compatibility. Some unlocked devices are not compatible with Cricket’s network, however, most of them are. You can check the phone’s compatibility with Cricket’s Device ID (IMEI) checker on the provider’s official website at cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/bring-your-phone.
- Get the SIM card. If you bring your own device, you must purchase the Universal Cricket SIM card kit.
- Choose the plan for your device. You can do so online or with the help of a sales agent.
- Locate your order number and your phone number. Both numbers are located in your order confirmation email and on your packing slip. You will have to provide this information during the Cricket SIM card activation process.
- Prepare your four-digit Cricket account PIN. In case you forgot your Cricket PIN, you can contact the provider’s customer support to check.
For New Cricket Customers (Service and Device Needed):
- Get a phone. If you buy an original Cricket device, the Cricket SIM card, which is essential for using Cricket’s services, will be included in the package. You can purchase a Cricket phone online or in-store.
- Choose the plan for your device. You can do so online or with the help of a sales agent.
- Locate your order number and your phone number.
- Prepare your four-digit Cricket account PIN.
For Current Cricket Customers (Service Purchased):
- If you already have the phone, the SIM card, and the service, you can simply activate your account. Follow the Cricket SIM card activation process described below, depending on whether you ordered your Cricket service online at cricketwireless.com or at a non-Cricket retailer.
What Kind of SIM Card Does Cricket Use?
A SIM card is a removable card that connects the mobile device to the Cricket network. Cricket’s Universal SIM card kit includes pop-out SIM cards in all sizes.
There are three different SIM card sizes – Standard (Mini), Micro, and Nano. As different phones require different SIM card sizes, Cricket offers all three sizes in the same package, so that you can choose the right size that will fit your phone’s SIM card slot.
In addition to the pop-out SIM cards in all three sizes, Cricket’s Universal SIM card kit also includes everything else you need to activate your unlocked, compatible phone on the Cricket network.
In case you also need information What Network Towers Does Cricket Use
How Do I Activate a Cricket SIM Card?
To activate your new Cricket SIM card, you must follow one of the processes below, depending on where you purchased the SIM card if you already have service and if you already have a device.
Activate Cricket SIM Card You Purchased at a Non-Cricket Retailer
In case you purchased your Cricket SIM card at a non-Cricket retailer, such as Walmart, Target, or Amazon, activate your SIM card by following these simple instructions:
- Prepare certain items, which you will need during the activation process:
- Cricket SIM card and a GSM-compatible unlocked device
- A copy of your current wireless bill – in case you wish to transfer your phone number
- A credit or debit card, Cricket Refill Card, or Service Payment Card to pay for your first month’s service
- Your four-digit Cricket Account PIN. In case you forgot it or you wish to reset it, contact Cricket’s customer service.
- Visit cricketwireless.com/join.
- Verify your ICCID number. It is printed on the larger (credit card-shaped) card that came with your SIM card and on the Cricket phone’s box. It can be up to 22 digits long.
- Find your 15-digit IMEI number in your phone’s settings.
- On an iPhone, go to Settings – General – About. Look for your IMEI.
- On an Android device, go to Settings – About Phone/Tablet – Status. Locate the IMEI there.
- You can also find your IMEI on your new device boy, on the back of your phone (under the battery), or by dialing *#06# on your phone.
- Enter both your ICCID and IMEI numbers and press ‘Continue’.
- Select whether you are an existing customer or a new one. If you are an existing customer, choose between adding a new line or changing the device on an existing line. Sign in to your account.
- Choose your plan and add-on features (optional). Press ‘Continue’.
- Choose your phone number. You can either get a new one or transfer your existing number and do the transfer later).
- Review your shopping cart and press ‘Check Out’.
- Create a Cricket account or verify your existing account. To do so, you must enter your contact information and create a PIN.
- Enter your payment information.
- Next, you can transfer your current phone number (optional). To do so, follow the on-screen prompts.
- Complete the order by pressing ‘Place Order’.
- Press ‘Activate’ on the receipt page.
- Insert the Cricket SIM card into your device. To do so, select the right SIM size.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
Activate Cricket SIM Card You Purchased Online at Cricket
If you ordered your Cricket service online at cricketwireless.com, you must activate your service online.
To do so, visit cricketwireless.com/activate.html# and choose one of the following options:
Option 1: Service Purchased
- If you already have a Cricket service, press ‘Get Started’ under ‘Service Purchased’. Prepare your order number and the phone number associated with your order.
- Select your device type (Apple, Android, Both).
- Make sure your phone is switched off. Insert your SIM card into the device and turn the device on. Press ‘I’m Ready’.
- Select where you purchased your recent device or SIM card (Cricket or Another Retailer). Press ‘Continue’.
- Select whether you are a new customer or an existing one. Press ‘Continue’.
- Depending on what you have selected on the previous page, you may be required to provide your order number and Cricket phone number or your Cricket username, password, and account PIN. Press ‘Activate’.
- Your phone should be activated in a matter of minutes.
Note: Your service may be automatically activated within 8 days of shipping for new lines with new phone numbers.
Option 2: Service Needed – I need a device and a plan
- If you don’t have a device and a plan yet, press ‘I need a device and a plan’ under ‘Service Needed’.
- You will be redirected to the provider’s online shop. Select a device that best fits your needs. You can search by brand, select a 5G-capable device, or even choose a phone that can be you’re your free of charge (if, of course, the provider offers such deals at the current moment).
- Click on the device, select the color (optional), capacity (if possible), customer type (new or current), account type, and press ‘Add to Cart’.
- In the next step, you can add Cricket Protect (insurance), add your phone number, and see the compatible plan. Press ‘Check out’.
- Once you receive your new device and SIM card, you can activate it by following the prompts under Option 1.
Option 3: Service Needed – I have a device
- If you already have a device, press ‘I have a device’ under ‘Service Needed’.
- Make sure your device is unlocked.
- Check the phone’s compatibility with Cricket’s network. First, you must find your phone’s IMEI. To do so, dial *#06# or find it in your phone’s settings. For instructions, press your phone type. Enter your 15-digit IMEI number in the provided box and press ‘Check’.
- Next, get a Cricket SIM. To do so, select your preferred plan type (Voice and Data or Data Only), customer type (New or Current), and account type (Switching to Cricket or I need a new number). You may also be able to select any available promotion option.
- Press ‘Add To Cart’.
- Once you receive your Cricket Universal SIM card kit, you can activate the Cricket SIM card on your existing phone by following the prompts under Option 1.
What to Do if I Have Any Issues During the Cricket SIM Card Activation
In case you have any problems or questions during the Cricket SIM card activation process, make sure to contact Cricket’s customer support service. One of the company’s friendly and professional representatives will walk you through the activation process and provide you with any help you may need.
Before doing so, you can restart your device. Doing so may activate it.
You can contact the company’s customer support service by phone at 1-800-CRICKET (274-2538) or 611 from your Cricket phone or via chat on Cricket’s official website.
See other contact options at cricketwireless.com/contactus.
How to Set Up Data After Completing Cricket SIM Card Activation
Once your Cricket SIM card and device have been activated, it’s time to test if everything is working properly. To do so, you can try placing a call, sending a text message, or using your Cricket data.
If you have trouble, restart your device. Afterward, the activation process should be completed. Otherwise, contact the provider’s customer support service.
If you brought your own phone to Cricket Wireless, you may have issues with your high-speed data process. In this case, make sure to check your carrier settings (APN settings). Chances are that your old carrier’s APN settings are not the same as Cricket’s, therefore you may need to change them. To do so, follow the instructions below, depending on what kind of device you have.
Set Up Data For iPhone:
- Make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi and that you have more than 50% battery life (or are currently charging the device).
- Go to ‘Settings’ and press ‘General’.
- Press ‘Software Update’. If your software is up to date, you can continue. Otherwise, you must install the new version. If there is a notification next to ‘Software Update’, press the arrow to view the new version.
- In case there is an update available, press ‘Download and Install’.
- Read the Terms and Conditions and press ‘Agree’.
- Press ‘Install Now’. The installation process may take a few minutes.
- Once the process is complete and your settings up to date, press ‘Continue’ to exit.
Set Up Data For Android Phone:
There are two ways to install the Cricket settings on your Android phone – Automatic Configuration and Manual Configuration.
After inserting the Cricket SIM card into your device, you should see a notification for installing the Cricket settings. Follow these instructions and keep in mind that the exact steps may vary between phone brands.
- After the activation process, you will see two messages in your messaging folder. Open the messages.
- The messages will state that your internet service and MMS service settings have arrived. Some phones will allow you to press ‘Install’ directly. If not, proceed with this process.
- Locate the envelope icon between notifications. Pull down the notification tray and press ‘Configuration message’. If you cannot locate configuration messages, go to manual configuration instead.
- Press each Configuration message and see setting details.
- Press ‘Install’, then ‘OK’.
- Press ‘Settings’.
- Choose ‘Mobile Networks’.
- Select ‘Access Point Names’.
- Tap ‘Internet’ to edit current settings.
- Edit the settings to match these settings:
- Name: Internet
- APN: Endo
- MMSC: http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
- MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
- Multimedia Message Port: 80
- MCC: 310
- MNC: 150
- APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl
- APN protocol: IPv4
- APN roaming protocol: IPv4
- Turn APN on/off: ON
If I Activate the Cricket SIM Card, Do I Have to Activate the Cricket Phone Again?
You can only activate your Cricket SIM card when it is inserted into a Cricket original or compatible device (phone or tablet). As such, there is no need to activate your Cricket SIM card and then activate the device separately.
If you need information Can I Upgrade My Cricket Phone for Free?
What Benefits Do I Get After Activating a Cricket SIM Card?
After you activate Cricket SIM card, you will be able to enjoy Cricket’s services. Cricket’s services come with some great benefits, including:
- Access to AT&T’s nationwide network
- A large selection of high-quality mobile devices
- Affordable plans
- Responsive customer care
- Regular discounts and other special deals on both plans and devices
How Do I Order a New or Replacement Cricket SIM Card if I Need It?
In case your Cricket SIM card gets damaged or lost, you may be required to replace it.
You can order a replacement SIM card on Cricket’s online store at cricketwireless.com, at a regular Cricket store (they are located throughout the entire country – find the nearest one at cricketwireless.com/stores), or at an authorized retailer.
Although you can order a new Cricket SIM card online, Cricket is unable to replace it online. Therefore, Cricket advises you to visit one of their stores to replace your SIM card. Learn more in the Cricket Replacement Guide.
How to Know Which Phones Are Compatible With Cricket SIM Card
In order to bring your own phone to Cricket, you must make sure the device is compatible with Cricket’s SIM card and network. You can do so by visiting cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/bring-your-phone and inserting your phone’s IMEI number in the provided box. Doing so will tell you whether or not your phone is Cricket-compatible.
What Phones Are Compatible With Cricket SIM Card?
Most unlocked GSM phones, especially modern ones, are compatible with Cricket’s SIM cards and services. Some of the compatible devices include:
- Alcatel A2X
- Apple iPhone 6 and later
- ASUS 1005DC
- Google Pixel 4
- LG G8 ThinQ
- LG Stylo 6
- Microsoft Duo
- Motorola Edge
- Motorola Moto G9 Play
- OnePlus Nord N10
- Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G
- Samsung Galaxy ZFold 5G
- Sony Xperia 5 II
- ZTE ZMax 10
See the entire list of Cricket-compatible phones here What Phones Are Compatible With Cricket Wireless.
How to Transfer a Cricket SIM Card to a New Phone?
If your new phone is an original Cricket or a compatible BYOP device, the Cricket service can be transferred by simply moving your SIM card to a new phone. The SIM card contains most of the required data, which should transfer the service automatically.
In case the service doesn’t get transferred automatically, you can see the transfer process at Can I Put My Cricket SIM Card Into Another Phone or cricketwireless.com/support/orders-and-activations/transfer-content.html.
Cricket SIM Card Related FAQs
Why Does Sometimes My Cricket SIM Card Not Work After Activation?
Sometimes it takes some time for the activation to ‘kick in’. Restart your device and if the issue doesn’t resolve, contact Cricket’s customer service.
What Do I Do if I Forgot My Cricket SIM Card PIN?
If you forgot your SIM PIN, try to find your PUK code. Otherwise, contact the provider’s customer service.
What Is Cricket Wireless – 3-in-1 SIM Card Activation Kit?
The Cricket 3-in-1 SIM card activation kit or Universal SIM card kit includes pop-out SIM cards in all three sizes and other information needed to activate your phone.
What Is Cricket Wireless – Universal SIM Card Activation Kit?
It is the same as the 3-in-2 SIM card activation kit.
Is a Cricket SIM Card 5G Compatible?
Yes, however, to access the 5G network, you need a 5G compatible device and plan.
Can I Activate My Cricket Phone Online?
Yes, you can see the full guide above.
How Do I Know if My Cricket Device Is Unlocked?
The simplest way is to contact the provider’s customer support.
Do I Need Cricket SIM Card Activation After Replacing a SIM Card?
Normally, if you already have an active Cricket service, there is no need to activate your replacement SIM card.
If You Bring Your Own Phone to Cricket Can I Keep My Old Phone Number?
Is There an Activation Charge After You Buy the Cricket SIM Card?
Yes. The in-store fee is $25, online it’s free.
Can I Get a New Phone Number With The Cricket SIM Card?
Yes, you can get a new phone number with any new SIM card.
Can I Just Switch SIM Cards Between Cricket Phones?
Yes, just make sure the SIM card is the right size to fit the SIM slot.