My life got so much easier when I got a 5G tablet. It enabled me to apply for a job, it enables me to work from home, it allows me to attend virtual meetings and classrooms, I can read and write, contact family members, friends, colleagues, and other individuals and businesses, enjoy some entertainment, and much more. It is an amazing high-quality device with 5G connectivity that offers everything I could possibly need in our modern day and age. Plus, I got it almost completely free of charge.
As people usually give me a stare in disbelief when I say that, I imagine you would too. Therefore, I have prepared a full guide on how you can also secure your very own free 5G government tablet. Let’s dive in.
How is it Possible to Get a Free 5G Government Tablet?
You may be confused about how it is even possible to receive a free 5G government tablet. After all, the last time you checked the government might have only offered mid-range Android phones. Well, yes, that was the case not long ago. But times change. During the pandemic, our dependency on internet connection and devices that could potentially enable us to work or educate ourselves from home has become more apparent than ever. As such, the government recognized the need and launched a new Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), in addition to the old Lifeline program that offers mid-range cell phones. Through the ACP program, eligible low-income households can now receive discounted or free monthly internet services and a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase an internet-connected device. The device is usually a tablet, but sometimes it can be a laptop or desktop computer. However, according to government rules, the device cannot be completely free of charge, as you will be required to pay a mandatory small fee of between $10 and $50 to obtain the device. Since the program has been launched, many wireless companies decided to participate in it and many of them now offer free monthly broadband services and (almost) free government tablets from some of the best brands. Certain ACP providers are even generous enough to offer tablets with 5G connectivity and other advancing features. And you could be one of the lucky recipients of such a device. How? Let’s find out in the following sections!
Short Guide on How to Get a Free 5G Government Tablet
To obtain a free 5G government tablet through the Affordable Connectivity Program, it’s crucial to understand the specific conditions and prerequisites for applying to this government assistance initiative. In this section, we’ll delve into the step-by-step process of securing a free device.
- Check Eligibility: Begin by confirming your eligibility. This can be established through your low-income status or participation in other government assistance programs. Refer to the ACP eligibility criteria outlined in the upcoming section.
- Verification Process: After ensuring your eligibility for ACP, the next vital step is to determine how to substantiate it to the FCC. Ultimately, the government assesses whether you can successfully enroll and potentially receive a government tablet. Review the acceptable documentation provided below.
- Application Submission: Proceed to apply for the program. While there are several application methods, all require the submission of necessary personal information and eligibility proof documentation. Explore the application process in the subsequent chapters.
- Select ACP Provider: Identify an ACP provider operating in your area that offers free 5G government tablets. Apply for their service and device discount. Refer to the list of recommended free government tablet providers provided below.
- Receive Your Tablet: Upon successful application approval, anticipate the delivery of your government tablet (which incurs a small mandatory co-pay) via mail within a few days.
Check Your Eligibility for a Free 5G Government Tablet
To be eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), individuals can apply based on their low annual household income or participation in qualifying government assistance programs. Although the ACP eligibility requirements are consistent nationwide, the specifics may vary.
- Income-Based Eligibility: Households qualify for ACP if their annual income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines, contingent on household size and state.
- Program Participation-Based Eligibility: Eligibility is also extended to those participating in qualifying government assistance programs, including:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program
- Qualifying Tribal Assistance Programs, such as Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Head Start (for income-qualifying households), Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Individuals receiving a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year
Additionally, the applicant must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor, reside in a state where the chosen provider operates, and be the sole applicant in the household, as the ACP benefit is limited to one person per household.
Free 5G Government Tablet Verification Process
During the ACP application process, you must submit official and valid copies of specific documents to prove your eligibility and verify personal information. Here are the document requirements:
- Income-Based Eligibility Documents: A valid official document showing the applicant’s (your or your dependent’s) legal first and last name and annual income information covering a full year or three consecutive months. Examples include the prior year’s tax return, current income statement, paycheck stub, Social Security or Veterans Administration statement, unemployment or worker’s compensation statement, divorce decree, child support award, or retirement/pension statement.
- Program Participation-Based Eligibility Documents: A valid official document displaying the applicant’s legal name, program name, issuing establishment, and an issue date within the last year or a future expiration date. Examples include a benefit award letter, approval letter, statement of benefits, benefit verification letter, and school documentation.
- Identity Proof: A valid official document featuring the applicant’s legal first and last name and date of birth. Examples include government, military, state, or Tribal ID, passport, birth certificate, U.S. driver’s license, certificate of U.S. citizenship or naturalization, permanent resident card, or green card.
- Address Proof: A valid official document including the applicant’s legal first and last name and physical address. Examples include a driver’s license, government, state, or Tribal ID, utility bill, mortgage or lease statement, or the most recent W-2 or tax return.
- Other General Documents: Verification of age using any valid document used for identity verification. Emancipated minors must provide proof, such as court documents or a certificate of emancipation.
Additionally, you may be required to provide personal information, such as full legal name, date of birth, SSN, address, etc.
Free 5G Government Tablet Application Process
To secure a free 5G government tablet for low-income families, you need to initiate the application process for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). There are three avenues for application—via the National Verifier online, through the National Verifier by mail, or directly through the selected ACP provider. Select the method that aligns with your preferences and follow the steps outlined below:
- Apply Online Through the National Verifier:
- Visit the National Verifier Online Application.
- Provide the required information and upload copies of your proof documentation.
- Submit the application and await notification from the National Verifier regarding the approval status.
- Apply Via Mail Through the National Verifier:
- Print the application form from the ACP Application Form.
- It is strongly advised (and essential for duplicate address applications) to include a Household Worksheet accessible here.
- Complete the necessary details and enclose physical copies of your proof documentation.
- Dispatch the package to ACP Support Center, PO Box 9100, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773.
- Apply Through the ACP Provider: After your National Verifier application receives approval, acquiring a 5G tablet is not automatic. First, identify an ACP provider offering free tablets in your locality and apply for their services and devices. While some ACP companies mandate customers to first apply through the National Verifier, others may permit direct application through them, bypassing the National Verifier process. Regardless of the approach, adhere to the following:
- Identify an ACP provider offering complimentary government tablets for low-income families in your vicinity.
- Visit the provider’s website and locate its ACP application form.
- Complete the requisite information and attach the necessary proof documentation.
- Submit the application and await the company’s response.
Selecting a Free 5G Government Tablet Provider
To find a great ACP provider that offers free 5G government tablets in your area of residence, you should visit https://cnm.universalservice.org/, enter your location, select the ACP program, tick the ‘free device’ option, and press ‘Search’. The system will then provide you with a list of all the ACP companies operating in your area. However, not all of them will offer free 5G government tablets. Some may offer tablets without 5G connectivity and others may offer laptops, desktops, or smartphones instead. As such, you will have to contact each company’s customer support service and ask if it is currently possible to receive a free 5G government tablet in your area.
Although most ACP companies don’t reveal the exact tablet models they offer due to frequent changes in availability, the following providers are known for offering the best government tablets which are likely to come with 5G connectivity and other advanced features:
- AirTalk Wireless: To apply, visit AirTalk Wireless and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Cintex Wireless: To enroll, visit Cintex Wireless – ‘Apply Now’.
- Easy Wireless: To apply, visit Easy Wireless, enter your email and ZIP code, then ‘Enroll Now’.
- Excess Telecom: Visit Excess Telecom – ‘Enroll Now’.
- Go Technology Management: Go to Go Technology Management – enter ZIP code and ‘Start’.
- Maxsip Telecom: Visit Maxsip Telecom – ‘Next’ after each page.
- Moolah Wireless: Visit Moolah Wireless to apply.
- My Tablet ACP: Begin your application by visiting My Tablet ACP – ‘Apply Online’.
- NewPhone Wireless: To enroll, go to NewPhone Wireless – ‘Apply Now’.
- Q Link Wireless: You can apply by visiting Q Link Wireless – ‘Get It Now’.
- StandUp Wireless: Press StandUp Wireless and ‘Begin Application’ to enroll.
- Stimulus: Get a tablet by visiting Stimulus – ‘Apply Now’.
- TruConnect: You can apply by going to TruConnect – ‘Apply Now’.
What to Expect When You Receive a Free 5G Government Tablet
You can apply through your selected provider by following the instructions above. Once you apply, the company will review your application and decide whether or not to approve it. If approved, you will receive a confirmation and the company will likely send you a free government tablet via mail within a few business days.
When you receive the device and a free SIM card, you can activate it and start enjoying your device and services. Other ACP benefits typically include a wireless plan with free talk minutes, texts, and high-speed data on a nationwide network. Moreover, if the provider also offers Lifeline benefits and if you qualify for Lifeline as well, you may also receive a free smartphone.
Which Free 5G Government Tablet Models Are Available?
The list of available free 5G government tablet models tends to change frequently. Moreover, most companies don’t reveal the options in advance. However, the few companies that not only reveal the tablet model in advance but even allow customers to select the device themselves (such as AirTalk Wireless) currently offer the following 5G tablet models:
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2020
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
- Apple iPad Air 2
- Apple iPad 6
See the full list of AirTalk’s tablet models at airtalkwireless.com/tablet.
What is the Benefit of Having a Free 5G Government Tablet?
The benefit of having a free 5G government tablet is enhanced connectivity and improved internet speeds. With 5G technology, users can experience faster download and upload speeds, lower latency, and a more reliable connection. This allows for smoother online activities, quicker access to information, and a better overall user experience, making the tablet a valuable tool for communication, work, education, and entertainment.