Food stamp phones are government free phone that are given to the needy, jobless, seniors, disabled and low income USA residents. They are also known as Obama phones since they dominated most during Barrack Obama’s ruling.
These phones started in mid 1980s through a government sponsored program known as lifeline. Their main aim was to make communication services affordable to everyone regardless of their financial status. Initially, this program offered discounted landline services.
In early 2000, cellphones were introduced, which forced the government to advance from offering discounted landline services to free cellphone services. This was during George bush presidency. The same happened until president Barrack Obama came into ruling and noticed the need of providing free cellphones to eligible citizens.
How Do You Get Food Stamp Free Phone?
Below are ways on how you get free food stamps phones.
- Online : This is the easiest way to get free food stamps phones. All you need to do is: visit provider’s website and apply for an enrollment. After, fill an application through the same website and wait for approval.
- Mail : This is another easy way to get free food stamps phone. In this case, you send an email to your provider in request for free phone application form.
- Physically : This is the most effective way to get free food stamp phone. This method requires you to visit your selected provider’s office in person and fill an application form.
Below are qualified methods used to acquire free Obama phones.
- Determine your qualification : Once you visit the offices, inquire from them whether you are eligible to get the phone. This is because; eligibility varies per your state of residence.
- Fill the application form : After determining your eligibility, fill in an application form. In this form, you should;
- Fill in your correct and consistence personal details.
- Fill your current location address.
- Attach all necessary documents to prove eligibility.
- Submit your form : After application, submit the form to your respective provider. The company will take few days to prove eligibility and approve your request after a count of 45-60 days.
Who is Eligible For Food Stamp Free Phone?
As mentioned earlier, to acquire free food stamp phone you have to prove your eligibility. So, how do you know you are eligible?
- You should be an active member in a government federal program.
The criteria is: if you are an active member in any government aid program, you are already qualified to get free Obama phone. Some of these programs are: food stamp, Medicaid, supplemental security income, veteran’s pension and survivors benefit among others.
- You should have an income equal to or below 135% of the federal poverty level.
You should have an income equal or below 135 % of the federal poverty level. However, it is said that federal poverty guideline varies per your state of residence and the size of your household. Therefore, it is important to confirm that relevant information from your provider.
- You should be disabled.
Disabled consumers are also prioritized. If you are disabled, then you can easily get free food stamp phone. However, not all disabled consumers benefit. To benefit, you should never be employed. If not, you should have stopped employment as a result of your disability. There are other criteria to receive free food stamp phones as a disabled. This are: You should be receiving federal disability payments or be a child or spouse of a permanently disabled veteran.
- You should be elderly.
Seniors are also eligible to get free food stamp phone. To qualify, you should be 65 years and below poverty level guideline. Already i write an article for seniors free phones procedure, in case you miss it here you may read this article.
Food Stamp Income Limit
Food stamp income limit of an individual or household should be 135% below the federal aid program. However, this limit varies per the size of each household.
Income limit is determined by gross monthly income and net monthly income. Let’s understand what net and gross monthly income is. Gross income is the total income in a household. On the other hand, net income is gross income minus usual deduction. Therefore, food stamp income limit of an individual is 1,245$ gross income and 973 $ net income. The limit of two sized household is 1,731$ gross income and 1311$ net income. That of 4 sized household is 2,552$ gross and 1988$ net income.
Food Stamp Work Requirements
To benefit from SNAP or food stamp, there are some set standards of work in every household. These requirements are set in terms of age. Consumers aged 16 – 39, except disabled, students and mothers of children below 6 years, should work for 30 hours in week. Able bodied adults between 18 – 49 years should work for 80 hours in a week. It is important to note that households made of elders and disabled are not subject to these work requirements.
What Happens After Applying For Food Stamp
After application, your local state office will go through it and later invite you for an interview. The interview can be conducted via phone or physical appearance. When proven eligible, the state will send you a notification with amount qualified and the expected date to receive your benefits.
How Do Food Stamp Recipients Apply For Free Government Cellphones?
To apply for free government cellphones as food stamp beneficiary, you should follow the following process;
- First, determine your eligibility. Ask yourself, am i qualified to get this free phone? If you are an active member in any government aid program, or have low income, then you qualify.
- Secondly, select the best cellphone provider in your locality. Conduct a thorough research and select the most reliable and convenient provider.
- Submit your food stamp phone application. Fill the phone application form through the selected company and submit. In this form, fill your correct personal details including your correct location address. Note that, when submitting the form, you should attach some documents to prove eligibility.
Once the service provider proves your eligibility, free food stamp phone will be delivered in the mentioned address. Alternatively, you can get an email notification requiring you to pick the phone.
Documents Needed For Food Stamp Phone Application
To apply for free food stamp phone, documents needed depends on your lifeline eligibility. I mean, if you qualify through participation in a government federal program, you should present membership certificate of your respective program.
If you qualify as a senior, you should present necessary documents to prove your age, For instance: birth certificate.
So the necessary documents are:
- Membership certificate of your respective government federal program.
- A pay slip to prove that your income is below the federal poverty guideline.
- Documents to prove your current age. I.e. birth certificate number.
- Documents to prove your nationality. I.e. Social security number
- Documents with relevant bank details. I.e. bank account number.
Free Food Stamp Phone Benefits
Free food stamp phone is of great benefit. More often than not, this phone comes along with free calls, free texting and free monthly data to ensure effective and convenient communication.
The phone also allows you to access internet at ease. This helps the user keep posted of arising issues in the society and country at large.
In addition, the phone has free roaming services, free voicemail, free call waiting and free emergency call services.
Other Benefits Associated With Food Stamp or SNAP
Rather than free phones, there are other benefits that associated with SNAP program.
- The program provides food to the needy and low income consumers.
- The program educates on importance of healthy food. In addition, it impacts knowledge on dangers of malnutrition as well as obesity.
- The program supports farmers and local food businessmen and women.
- Free laptop with food stamps.
Are Non- Citizens Eligible For Free Food Stamp Phone?
Mostly, SNAP limits free phones to only US citizens. However, this program has recently extended its eligibility to non-citizens under the following conditions.
- The applicant should have lived in US for not less than 5 years.
- The applicant should be below 18 years of age from a household with income below the federal poverty guideline.
The government gives out free food stamp phone to ensure low income consumers are not discriminated in terms of effective communication. However, each household should own one free Obama phone at a time. Additionally, your free phone should not be dormant for more than 30 days; else, the program will take it back.