Apple iPhones are some of the most popular and beloved smartphones on Earth, which seems completely natural. After all, Apple iPhones are of very high quality, durable, reliable, and sturdy, they have powerful technology and some of the most advanced features, they come with loads of security features and an attractive design. Apple iPhones also work tremendously well with other Apple devices.
As Apple launches new phones with the latest features that offer more benefits each year, many Apple fans strive to stay up to date. Apple iPhone 12 is one of the latest iPhone models. It is an exceptional device that uses the best technology and offers the latest features. Unfortunately, it is also very expensive and therefore unattainable for many low-income people. As such, people who are unable to purchase an iPhone 12 for the full price may wonder if they get one for free. In this article, we will reveal whether or not it is possible to receive a free government iPhone 12 and much more.
Is iPhone 12 Available for Free From the Government?
The government offers free phones and monthly phone and internet services to eligible low-income households through their two government assistance programs – Lifeline (an assistance program that offers discounts on monthly phone and internet services and cell phones) and the Affordable Connectivity Program or ACP (an assistance program that offers discounts on monthly broadband services and connected devices).
Most participating Lifeline and ACP providers offer low-income customers mid-range Android touch screen smartphones, however, there are a select few that also offer free government iPhones. Still, the government only offers older Android and iPhone phone models free of charge, as such, Lifeline/ACP providers do currently not offer a free government iPhone 12, which is one of the latest iPhone models.
Perhaps, in five years’ time, when the iPhone 12 will be considered an older iPhone model, providers will offer free government iPhone 12. Until then, you will either have to settle with an older free government iPhone model or get a discounted (or even free) iPhone 12 elsewhere. In the following chapters, we will discuss both options.
What is the Process of Getting a Free Government iPhone 12?
As mentioned before, Lifeline/ACP providers do currently not offer free government iPhone 12 (which may change in the future). Nevertheless, they do offer other (older iPhone 6,iPhone 8,iPhone plus) free government iPhone models.
To receive a free government iPhone, you must follow a simple, yet strict process:
- First, you must make sure that you qualify for a government assistance program through which you can receive a free government iPhone (Lifeline/ACP). You can see the list of government-determined eligibility criteria in the next section.
- If you qualify, you must prove it by providing certain unexpired, official documents that contain and show the required information. See the list of acceptable documents in the following section.
- Apply for a free government iPhone and monthly government assistance services. You can learn how to do so below.
- Finally, you must find a Lifeline/ACP provider that offers free government iPhones in your state of residence.
How to Qualify for a Free Government iPhone 12?
In order to receive a free government iPhone, you must qualify for both Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program.
Lifeline and the ACP eligibility criteria are determined by the government and universal for all participating providers.
In order to qualify for Lifeline, a household must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- The annual household income is at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines.
- A household member participates in one or more of the following qualifying government assistance programs (federal or Tribal):
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard)
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
In order to qualify for the ACP, a household must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- The annual household income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.
- A household member participates in Lifeline or any of the government assistance programs that make you Lifeline-eligible (listed above).
- A household member participates in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
- The household receives the Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program, including at U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision schools.
- The household received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year.
In order to sign up for any government assistance program, you must also be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor and a resident of one of the states where your selected provider offers its services.
What Documents are Required When Applying for a Free Government iPhone 12?
When applying for a free government iPhone, you must prove your eligibility by providing unexpired, official documents that show that you meet the program requirements. Depending on your eligibility criteria and which other information your provider is unable to verify on its own, you may have to provide the following documents:
- An official document that includes your first and last name and income to prove your annual household income. Acceptable documents include:
- Prior year’s state, federal or Tribal tax return
- Current income statement from your employer or paycheck stubs
- Unemployment or Workers’ Compensation statement of benefits
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
- Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- Divorce decree
- Child support award, etc.
- An official document that includes your first and last name, the name of the qualifying government assistance program, the name of the establishment that issued the document, and an issue date within the last 12 months or a future expiration date to prove your participation in a qualifying government assistance program. Acceptable documents include:
- Benefit award letter
- Approval letter
- Statement of benefits
- Benefit verification letter
- An official document that includes your first and last name and date of birth to verify your identity or age. Acceptable documents include:
- A valid government, military, state, or Tribal ID
- Birth Certificate
- Driver’s license
- Government assistance program document
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Naturalization
- Permanent Resident Card or Green Card
- An official document that includes your first and last name and physical address to verify your address. Acceptable documents include:
- A valid government, state, or Tribal ID
- Driver’s license
- Utility bill
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Most recent W-2 or tax return
Emancipated minors must also prove their emancipation status by providing a court document or a certificate of emancipation.
How to Apply for a Free Government iPhone 12?
As we have already established, currently, there are no Lifeline/ACP providers that offer a free government iPhone 12. However, there are a few providers that offer other free government iPhone models.
Generally, there are three ways to apply for the Lifeline/ACP program, through which you may be able to receive a free government iPhone. You can apply online, via mail, or directly at your selected provider.
Apply at the Lifeline/ACP Support Center Online
- First, visit nv.fcc.gov/lifeline (to apply for Lifeline) or nv.fcc.gov/lifeline/?id=nv_flow&amp;amp;ebbp=true (to apply for ACP).
- If prompted, choose your state or territory and press ‘Get started’.
- You may be required to log in or create a new account.
- You will be redirected to the online application form. Complete it by providing the necessary information and documentation.
- At the end of each page, press ‘Next’, and in the end, submit your application.
Apply at the Lifeline/ACP Support Center Via Mail
- Print out a Lifeline application at lifelinesupport.org/wp-content/uploads/documents/get-lifeline/LI_Application_NVstates.pdf and ACP application at affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf.
- If applying for the ACP program, you should also include a Household Worksheet, which can be found at affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf.
- Complete the forms and add copies of your proof documentation.
- Send the package to Lifeline/ACP Support Center, PO Box 7081, London, KY 40742.
Apply Directly at Your Selected Provider
You can also apply at your selected Lifeline/ACP provider. To do so, you must find a provider that offers its services and free government iPhones in your area. You can see a list of all the Lifeline/ACP providers that offer free iPhones in the section ‘The Best Companies That Offer Free Government iPhone 12’. There, you can also see how to apply for a free government iPhone.
What Free iPhone Phones Does the Government Offer Other Than the iPhone 12?
There are very few Lifeline/ACP providers that offer free iPhones, as most providers only offer Android smartphones. The select few that do, currently offer the following iPhone models:
- Apple iPhone SE
- Apple iPhone 6
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus
- Apple iPhone 6s
- Apple iPhone 6s Plus
- Apple iPhone 7
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus
- Apple iPhone 8
In case you also need information How To Get Free Government Tablet 2022
What Free Smartphone Models Does the Government Offer in Addition to iPhones?
As we have established before, most Lifeline/ACP providers promise to provide eligible customers with a mid-range Android smartphone. Unfortunately, the vast majority of providers do not disclose exactly which phone models qualifying customers may receive. The offer namely depends on several factors, including the state, the time of enrollment, and availability.
Nevertheless, the few Lifeline/ACP providers that disclose and in some cases even let you choose between the available phone models offer the following free government Android smartphones:
- Google Pixel
- Google Pixel 2XL
- Google Pixel 3A
- Google Pixel 3A XL
- Google Pixel 3XL
- Google Pixel 4
- Google Pixel 4XL
- Google Pixel XL
- LG Aristo 4 Plus
- LG G7 ThinQ
- LG G8 ThinQ
- LG K10
- LG K51
- LG Stylo 5
- LG Stylo 6
- LG V40 ThinQ
- LG V50 ThinQ 5G
- LG Tribute Empire
- Motorola G Fast
- Motorola G Play
- Motorola G Stylus
- Motorola Moto G7
- Motorola Moto G7 Play
- Motorola Moto G7 Plus
- Motorola Moto G7 Power
- Motorola Moto G8 Power
- Motorola Z2
- Motorola Z3 Play
- Motorola Z4
- OnePlus 6
- OnePlus 6T
- OnePlus 7T
- OnePlus N10 Nord 5G
- OnePlus N100 Nord
- OnePlus N200 Nord 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A01
- Samsung Galaxy A11
- Samsung Galaxy A20
- Samsung Galaxy A20s
- Samsung Galaxy A21
- Samsung Galaxy A32
- Samsung Galaxy A50
- Samsung Galaxy On5
- Samsung Galaxy S6
- Samsung Galaxy S7
- Samsung Galaxy S8
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus
- Samsung Galaxy S9
- Samsung Note 8
- Samsung S6 Edge
- Samsung S9 Plus
- Unimax U693CL
What Free Flip Phone Models Does the Government Offer In Addition to iPhones?
While most Lifeline/ACP providers only offer free Android smartphones, some providers also offer iPhones and also basic flip phone models. The flip phone models that are currently offered by the government free of charge include:
- Coolpad Belleza
- Alcatel Go Flip 4
- Jitterbug Flip2
- Kyocera DuraXE Epic
- Nokia 2720 V Flip
The Best Companies That Offer Free Government iPhone
Unfortunately, currently, no company offers free government iPhone 12. Nevertheless, this may change in a few years, when the iPhone 12 model will no longer be considered one of the latest models. Additionally, there are certain Lifeline/ACP providers which already offer older Apple iPhone models, such as iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 7, and iPhone 8, which is currently the latest iPhone model that is available for free from the government. Companies that offer free government iPhones are the following.
Note: All of these are affiliate companies, as such their offer, as well as the application process, is virtually the same.
AirTalk Wireless is Lifeline/ACP provider that offers Lifeline, ACP, and Lifeline + ACP plans with free unlimited monthly talk, text, and high-speed data, as well as a free government phone (flip, Android, or iPhone) per eligible household. The company’s services and benefits are available in the states of California, Kentucky, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Michigan, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Wisconsin.
To apply, follow these simple steps:
- Visit airtalkwireless.com.
- Press ‘Apply Now’.
- When redirected to airtalkwireless.com/apply, enter your ZIP code in the provided box and press ‘Apply now’.
- In case the company does not provide services in your area but one of its affiliate companies (Cintex or NewPhone Wireless) does, the company will offer to redirect you to the affiliate company’s website, where you can start over.
- In case the company does provide services in your area, you will be redirected to the government assistance plan options that are available in your area (Lifeline Plan, ACP Plan, and Lifeline & ACP Combo Plan).
- Select the plan that best fits your needs by pressing ‘Apply Now’ under the plan offer.
- You will then be redirected to the company’s online application form. Fill it out by providing all the personal information, household information, eligibility information, and by selecting a plan and phone. At the end of each page press ‘Continue’ and in the end, submit the application.
- If your application gets approved you will be notified via email and receive your free government iPhone as well as other benefits within a few days.
Cintex Wireless is a Lifeline/ACP provider that offers free government iPhones, Android smartphones, and basic flip phones, as well as free monthly services with unlimited text, talk, and data to eligible residents of Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
To apply, go to cintexwireless.com and follow the exact same process that is described for AirTalk Wireless.
NewPhone Wireless is a Lifeline/ACP provider that offers free monthly services with unlimited talk, text, and data and free government iPhones and other phones in the states of Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and Washington.
To sign up, visit newphone.com and follow the same instructions that are provided in the section for AirTalk Wireless above.
Is It Possible to Get Free iPhone Deals With Cell Phone Carriers?
As you already know, there are currently no Lifeline/ACP providers that could offer you a free government iPhone 12. If you can settle with an older iPhone model, you may be able to get one for free from the government. If, on the other hand, your heart is set on getting a free iPhone 12, you may be able to get one from a cell phone carrier.
Some carriers and MVNOs offer frequent special offers and discount deals on their smartphones. In order to receive a free iPhone through a carrier deal, you must always meet certain varying requirements. For example, some carriers will require you to switch to their services, add a line, trade in an old phone in good working condition, buy a phone at full price and get a second one for free, etc.
The carriers that currently offer free or discounted iPhones (under certain conditions) include:
- Mint Mobile. The company offers an Apple iPhone 12 for only $73 a month (full price: $869) + 6 months of free Mint services. The company also offers an Apple iPhone 12 mini for only $60 a month (full price: $719) + 6 months of free Mint services. Both offers are available when you purchase an eligible device and any 12-month data plan.
- AT&T. The company offers an iPhone 12 mini with a 50% discount for new and existing well-qualified customers with a qualifying plan.
- Verizon. The company offers an Apple iPhone 12 completely free of charge (for $0.00 a month for 36 months) if you switch to the carrier’s services or add a new line. No trade-in required. You can also get a free iPhone 12 with any 5G unlimited plan. In addition, Verizon offers free certified pre-owned Apple iPhone 12 mini models with any 5G unlimited plan.
- T-Mobile. The company offers an $800 discount when you add a new line and trade in an eligible device. If you only decide to trade in an old device, you can get a $400 discount.
- Metro by T-Mobile. The company offers a $200 discount on an iPhone 12 mini if you switch to their services, keep your number, purchase a qualifying rate plan, and visit one of their stores.
All of these carriers also offer special deals on other Apple iPhone models.
Note: Carrier deals change on a regular basis, as such, it’s best to check the carriers’ websites frequently.
Other Ways to Get a Free iPhone
In addition to getting a free iPhone from the government or a carrier, you may also be able to get a free iPhone by:
- Finding a retailer’s promotional deal
- Becoming a reviewer
- Participating in an online survey
- Becoming a free marketing agent
- Entering a giveaway contest
- Participating in Amazon Vine
- Opting for a refurbished, used, or second-hand device
- Working for Apple
Free Government iPhone Related FAQs
Can I Get a Free iPhone From Apple?
Apple generally does not offer free iPhones. However, if you work for them (directly or by promoting their devices), you may be able to get a free iPhone from the company.
What Is the Lifeline Assistance Program?
Lifeline is a government assistance program designed to help make communications services more affordable for low-income people. It provides discounts on monthly phone or internet services and cell phones.
What Is the Affordable Connectivity Program?
The Affordable Connectivity Program or ACP is a government assistance program that provides discounts on broadband services and internet-connected devices (tablets, laptops, or desktops) to eligible low-income households.
Can I Get a Free Touchscreen Government Phone?
Yes, most free government phones have touch screens, as most of them are smartphones.
Can I Get Free a iPhone Without Scam?
Yes, there are many ways to receive a free iPhone without a scam. See the many options above.
Does Apple Replace iPhones for Free?
Yes, if your iPhone issue is covered by the Apple warranty, AppleCare+, or consumer law.
How Are Lifeline Phones Getting Better?
Lifeline free phones have become much better and newer since many Lifeline providers also started participating in the new ACP program, which provides additional government funds.
Can I Get Another Government iPhone if I Already Have One From Another Provider?
No, Lifeline/ACP free phones are limited to one device per eligible household.