Are you a Medicaid participant or are you planning to apply? If so, you will be happy to learn that in addition to receiving healthcare coverage, you will also be able to apply for a free iPhone with Medicaid!
Apple iPhones are some of the best smartphones in the world. They are reliable, high-quality, and packed with advanced features. Of course, through Medicaid, you won’t be able to receive the most recent iPhone model, but you can still get an excellent device. If you’re wondering how to get a free iPhone through an assistance program that only covers health care, learn more below.
Who Gets the Benefits of a Free iPhone With Medicaid
Medicaid is a government assistance program that offers low-cost or even free health coverage to millions of American citizens who are unable to cover those expenses on their own. Only people who qualify for Medicaid can get the program’s free health care services. See the Medicaid eligibility criteria below.
However, while Medicaid only covers health care, participating in the program also makes you automatically eligible for certain other government assistance programs, such as Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) – programs that offer free phone, wireless, and internet services, as well as connected devices (including smartphones like Apple’s iPhones).
The Process of Getting a Free iPhone With Medicaid 2023
To receive a free iPhone with Medicaid, you will have to complete the following process:
- First, you must make sure that you qualify for Medicaid and that you can prove your eligibility during the application process. You can then apply for Medicaid. If approved, you will be notified.
- Once you are a Medicaid participant, you will receive an official document proving your participation. Make sure to hold on to it, as you will need it during the Lifeline/ACP application process. Participating in Medicaid automatically qualifies you to enroll in Lifeline and ACP. As such, you can proceed to apply for Lifeline and ACP through the National Verifier and a selected provider in your state of residence. If you wish to receive a free iPhone with Medicaid instead of any other phone, make sure to apply through a provider that offers free iPhones. Note: Such providers are very limited, as such, there may not be a provider available in your area.
- If your Lifeline/ACP application gets approved, you will be notified and you will receive discounts on your monthly phone, wireless, and internet services, as well as a free iPhone (or another phone) with Medicaid.
The process may sound daunting but fret not, as we will walk you through every step in the following sections.
Eligibility Rules in 2023 for Each State to Receive Free iPhone With Medicaid
To get a free iPhone with Medicaid, you must qualify for Medicaid, as well as Lifeline and ACP. Luckily, participating in Medicaid will automatically make you Lifeline and ACP-eligible.
Medicaid Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility requirements may vary depending on the state you live in, but generally, Medicaid is available to people with low incomes, disabilities, and certain health conditions.
Generally, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- They must be a resident of the state in which they are applying
- Their financial situation must be characterized as low-income or very low income
- They must be a citizen of the United States or a qualified non-citizen (for example, a lawful permanent resident)
To find the eligibility requirements for your state, visit your state’s Medicaid page. On the website, also make sure to check out additional options for coverage and limitations on age, pregnancy, and parenting status.
To make sure whether or not you qualify for Medicaid, fill out the online form at benefits.gov/benefit/606#Eligibility_Checker.
Lifeline and ACP Eligibility Criteria
Participating in Medicaid is enough to make you Lifeline and ACP-eligible (in addition to being 18 years old or more and being a resident of one of the states where your selected provider operates). However, Medicaid participation is not the only thing that can make you Lifeline/ACP-eligible. Your household is also eligible if its annual income is at or below 135% (for Lifeline) or 200% (for ACP) of the federal poverty guidelines or if a household member participates in another qualifying government assistance program, such as SNAP, SSI, WIC, FPHA, certain Tribal programs, etc.
Documents Required When Applying for Medicaid to Receive a Free iPhone
Obviously, knowing whether or not you qualify for Medicaid, Lifeline, and ACP isn’t enough. During the application process, you will also be required to prove it. To make your application process as fast and smooth as possible, make sure to make clear copies (physical or digital, depending on how you wish to apply) of some of the documents listed below.
Documents Required When Applying for Medicaid
- If you qualify based on low income, you will have to prove it with an official document, such as your tax documents and income paycheck stubs. In order to qualify for Medicaid, your income must be at or below 135% of the federal poverty level.
- If you qualify based on disability, you will have to provide documents proving your disability.
- Children can either get Medicaid through their parents or on their own. To do so, they must provide age proof and other documents proving their eligibility.
- Seniors after 55 also qualify. To apply, they must prove their age. They can do so either online or by visiting a Medicaid office.
Documents Required When Applying for Lifeline/ACP
- If you qualify based on your Medicaid participation, you will have to provide a copy of an official document showing your participation, such as an approval letter, benefit award letter, benefit verification letter, or statement of benefits.
- If you qualify based on your participation in another qualifying government assistance program, you must also provide a document verifying your participation (see examples above).
- If you qualify based on your low income, you must prove it with a copy of a current income statement from your employer, paycheck stubs, prior year’s state, federal, or Tribal tax return, unemployment or worker’s compensation statement of benefits, a Social Security statement of benefits, etc.
You may also be required to prove your identity (ID, passport), age (ID, birth certificate), address (ID, driver’s license, utility bill), emancipation status (court document), Social Security Number, etc.
Application Process for Getting a Free iPhone With Medicaid
To receive a free iPhone with Medicaid, you must first apply for Medicaid and then for Lifeline and ACP.
How to Apply for Medicaid
- After making sure that you qualify and can prove it, contact a Medicaid office by phone at (800) 362-1504, via email at [email protected], or by visiting the nearest office.
- You can also apply through the Health Insurance Marketplace. To do so, visit healthcare.gov/medicaid-chip/getting-medicaid-chip, create a Marketplace account, and complete the application.
- Fill out the application form by creating an online healthcare account, visiting the link above, and following the on-screen prompts. You will be asked to provide personal information and copies of your proof documentation.
- If approved, you will be notified and able to collect your Medicaid card at the nearest office or get it via email.
How to Apply for Lifeline/ACP
- Visit the National Verifier at nv.fcc.gov/lifeline/?id=nv_flow&ebbp=true&awsl=link-from-how-to-apply. Here you can apply for both Lifeline and ACP simultaneously.
- Alternatively, you can apply via mail.
- When completing your application form, make sure to provide all the required information and copies of proof documentation (your Medicaid approval letter, benefits award letter, etc.).
- If approved, you will be notified.
- Then, find a Lifeline/ACP company that offers free iPhones with Medicaid in your area and apply through their website as well. Make sure to include your National Verifier ID number.
How to Check Your Free iPhone Application Status
After applying for Medicaid and then Lifeline and ACP, you will receive a notification from the responsible party about your application status. The organization will notify you whether or not your application has been approved or rejected.
However, if you are too anxious to wait, you can always check your application status by checking your online account (if you have an account with the organization you applied through) or to contact the company or organization you applied through.
Reasons for the Rejection of the Free iPhone With Medicaid Application?
In case your free iPhone with Medicaid application got rejected, there may be several reasons why that is, including:
- The information you have provided is incorrect, invalid, or incomplete.
- The documentation you have provided is incorrect, invalid, incomplete, or blurry.
- The provided information and documentation don’t match on both application forms.
- You are genuinely not eligible for the program.
If any of the first three seems to be the issue, you can ask to reapply and this time provide only correct, valid, complete, and clear information and documentation.
List of Free iPhones With Medicaid
If you manage to get approved by one of the companies that odder free iPhones with Medicaid, you will be able to receive a high-quality Apple iPhone (or a great Android smartphone). Lifeline and ACP companies, unfortunately, don’t offer the latest phone models, however, the devices that you can receive are all of excellent quality. Free iPhone models that are available through Lifeline/ACP include:
- Apple iPhone SE
- Apple iPhone 6
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus
- Apple iPhone 6s
- Apple iPhone 6s Plus
- Apple iPhone 7
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus
- Apple iPhone 8
The Best Providers That Provide Free iPhones With Medicaid in 2023
Currently, only three Lifeline and ACP companies offer free iPhones for eligible customers (including Medicaid participants). All of these companies are owned by HTH Communications. However, as Lifeline and ACP providers tend to change their offers regularly, there may be more companies offering free government iPhones in the near future.
AirTalk is a Lifeline and ACP company that operates in California, Colorado, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New York, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Eligible residents of these states can get a free iPhone or Android phone, a huge discount on a tablet, and free monthly mobile services with free talk, text, and data.
Initiate your application process by visiting airtalkwireless.com, pressing Apply, entering your ZIP code, choosing the plan (make sure to choose the Lifeline and ACP combo plan, as this is the only plan that offers a free iPhone), and following the on-screen prompts to complete the application form.
Cintex also offers free monthly services, free smartphones, and ACP-discounted tablets. You can apply if you meet the Lifeline/ACP eligibility criteria, are 18 years old, and are a resident of one of the following states: Arkansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Maine, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
Enroll in the program by visiting cintexwireless.com, pressing Apply, entering your ZIP code, choosing the Lifeline and ACP combo plan, and following the instructions to complete the online application form.
Finally, NewPhone is another wireless company owned by HTH Communications. It offers free monthly data, talk, and text, a free phone (basic, Android smartphone, or iPhone), and discounts on tablets. Only adult residents of Louisiana and Wyoming can apply.
To being your application process, go to newphone.com. Press Apply, type in your ZIP code, choose the combination plan, and follow the instructions to complete and submit the form. If approved, you will be notified.
Is There a Free iPhone Available in Any Other Program?
The only programs that offer free government iPhones or Android smartphones directly are Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) – currently in combination. However, there are many other programs through you which you can get a free iPhone from the government indirectly, simply because participating in the program makes you eligible for both Lifeline and ACP. These programs include:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard)
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
Having an annual household income at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines will also make you qualify for both Lifeline and ACP.
On the other hand, participating in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) or the Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program, or receiving a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year will make you ACP-eligible, which may not be enough to receive a free iPhone.
Who is Not Eligible for the Free iPhone With Medicaid Program?
The only people who can receive a free iPhone with Medicaid are the ones the meet the requirement under ‘Medicaid Eligibility Criteria’ in the section ‘Eligibility Rules in 2023 for Each State to Receive Free iPhone With Medicaid’. Applicants must also be at least 18 years old or emancipated minors and residents of one of the states where free government iPhone companies operate.
Whoever doesn’t meet these requirements is not eligible for a free iPhone with Medicaid.
However, perhaps, you can still get a free government iPhone based on your low income or your participation in another qualifying government assistance program, such as SNAP, SSI, etc.
Alternative Way to Get Free iPhone
In case you don’t meet the Medicaid requirements or any other Lifeline/ACP requirements or if there is no free government iPhone provider available in your area, you can still get the free iPhone another way, such as:
Receiving a Free iPhone From Apple
Apple offers its employees discounts on Apple products but it doesn’t give them away free of charge. However, if you have a huge social media following, you can make a deal with Apple to market their products in exchange for a free iPhone.
Taking Online Surveys
Taking online surveys is a good way to get a free iPhone or another award.
Participating in Online Contests
You can also try your luck participating in online contests.
Participating in Giveaways
Winning an online giveaway may also result in receiving a free iPhone. Make sure to avoid scams.
Free Tablet With Food Stamps: is This SNAP Rumor True?
Indeed! While SNAP only directly provides free food, participating in it also makes you ACP-eligible and ACP is the program that offers free (discounted) tablets for eligible customers.
Can I Get a Free iPhone With Other Government Assistance Programs?
Yes. As mentioned before, there are many other government programs through which you can participate in Lifeline and ACP and receive a free iPhone, including SNAP, SSI, Tribal programs, etc.
Is There a Cost to Participate in the Free iPhone Program With Medicaid?
No, participating in Medicaid, Lifeline, and ACP is free, as are the offered devices.
Can I Transfer My Free iPhone Program Benefits to Someone Else?
No. Your Lifeline and ACP benefits are non-transferable.
What Should I Do if My iPhone is Lost or Stolen?
Contact your provider as soon as possible. The agent will tell you how to proceed.