In today’s digital age, access to reliable communication is essential for staying connected with loved ones, accessing important information, and pursuing various opportunities. However, not everyone has the means to afford a cell phone, especially those who are facing financial challenges. That’s where government phone programs, such as Lifeline, come into play.
As Motorola is one of the leading smartphone brands in the world, in this article, we will explore the concept of a free Motorola government phone. So, if you’re in need of a reliable cell phone but have financial constraints, read on to learn more about free Motorola government phones.
Available Free Motorola Government Phone Models (2023)
The Lifeline/ACP companies mentioned above currently offer the following free Motorola government phone models:
- Motorola G Fast
- Motorola G Play
- Motorola G Stylus 2020
- Motorola G Stylus 5G
- Motorola G7 Play
- Motorola G8 Power
- Motorola Moto E
- Motorola Moto E5 Play
- Motorola Moto E5 Plus
- Motorola Moto E6
- Motorola Moto Edge 5G
- Motorola Moto G Power
- Motorola Moto G Power (2022)
- Motorola Moto G Pure
- Motorola Moto G Stylus (2021)
- Motorola Moto G6
- Motorola Moto G6 Play
- Motorola Moto G7
- Motorola Moto G7 Power
- Motorola Moto G8 Plus
- Motorola Moto G8 Power Lite
- Motorola Moto G9 Play
Government Phone Program Benefits
You can get a free Motorola through the Lifeline program, which aims to provide eligible low-income individuals and households with access to affordable communication services. Lifeline is a well-established program that was launched by the FCC in the 1980s. It offers discounts on monthly phone, wireless, or internet services and it is distributed by numerous wireless companies that operate in all U.S. states and territories. These companies also often offer free or discounted cell phones for qualifying people in need. Lifeline providers traditionally offered entry-level to mid-range flip phones or Android smartphones to eligible low-income customers, along with a free or discounted monthly plan that includes free talk minutes, text messages, and data.
Recently, however, the FCC launched a new government assistance program, called the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) that offers free monthly broadband services and in some cases, free internet-connected devices. Many former Lifeline providers now also participate in the new ACP program and through this combination of funds and resources, they are now able to offer better monthly plans with more talk minutes, more texts, and more data, as well as more advanced cell phones from top brands, such as Motorola.
In order to get the best possible free Motorola government phone model, it’s best to apply for both government assistance programs – Lifeline and ACP. In the following sections, you will find out exactly how to do so.
Process of Getting a Free Motorola Government Phone in 2023
The process of obtaining a free Motorola government phone from a Lifeline/ACP provider typically involves several steps:
- First, you need to ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements for the Lifeline and/or ACP program, which are outlined in the next section.
- Next, you must provide proof documentation to establish your eligibility. Acceptable documentation can be found below.
- Then, you need to apply for the Lifeline/ACP program, following the instructions provided.
- Finally, you must locate a Lifeline/ACP provider in your state of residence that offers free Motorola government phones. Once you find a suitable provider, you can apply for their program and the free device. If your application is approved, you will receive the benefits in due course.
Let’s dive deeper into these steps in the following sections.
Eligibility Requirements to Get a Free Motorola Government Phone
To be eligible for Lifeline or ACP and receive a free Motorola government phone, you must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor, be the only applicant in your household (exceptions apply) and meet at least one of the FCC-determined eligibility criteria for each government program.
For the Lifeline program, your household must meet one of the following requirements:
- Your annual household income is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- You or any other member of your household participates in one of the qualifying Federal or Tribal assistance programs listed, such as SNAP, Medicaid, SSI, FPHA, Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit, Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard), Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations.
For the ACP program, your household must meet one of the following requirements:
- You or any other member of your household participates in Lifeline.
- You or any other member of your household participates in any of the Lifeline-qualifying assistance programs listed above.
- You or any other member of your household participates in Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) or the Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program.
- Your household received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year.
- Your annual household income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Documents Needed to Get a Free Motorola Government Phone
To ensure that government assistance programs for phone and internet services are not abused by those who can actually afford them, applicants must provide proof of eligibility for Lifeline/ACP. This can be done by submitting official, unexpired documents that contain the necessary information to verify eligibility based on income or program participation, as well as personal information. To expedite the application process, prepare copies of documents from the following categories:
- A valid government, military, state, or Tribal ID
- Birth Certificate
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Naturalization
- Government assistance program document
- Permanent Resident Card or Green Card
- U.S. Driver’s license
- A valid government, state, or Tribal ID
- Driver’s license
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Most recent W-2 or tax return
- Utility bill
- Current income statement from employer or paycheck stub
- Divorce decree, child support award, or a similar official document showing income
- Prior year’s state, federal, or Tribal tax return
- Retirement/pension statement of benefits
- Social Security statement of benefits
- Unemployment or Worker’s Compensation statement of benefits
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
Government assistance program participation proof:
- Approval letter
- Benefit award letter
- Benefit verification letter
- School documentation
- Statement of benefits
Emancipated minors must also provide proof of their emancipation status with an official document, such as a court document or emancipation certificate. Social Security Number or Tribal ID Number may also be required for verification. Documents can be submitted online by attaching digital copies or via mail by submitting physical copies. However, do not submit original official documents.
Application Process to Get a Free Motorola Government Phone in 2023
There are three ways to apply for Lifeline/ACP – online, by mail, or through your selected Lifeline/ACP provider directly.
- To apply online through the National Verifier, you must visit nv.fcc.gov/apply (for Lifeline) and affordableconnectivity.gov (for ACP). Fill out both online application forms by providing all the required information and digital copies of proof documentation. Submit the application and you will shortly be notified whether or not your application has been approved.
- To apply by mail, print out the application forms, which are available at lifelinesupport.org/wp-content/uploads/documents/get-lifeline/LI_Application_NVstates.pdf (for Lifeline) and affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf (for ACP). When applying for ACP, it is also recommended to print out a Household Worksheet, which is available at affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf. Fill out all of these forms, add the supporting documentation, and send the papers to Lifeline/ACP Support Center, P.O. Box 9100, Wilkes-Barre, PA 1877.
- Alternatively, you can also apply through your selected Lifeline/ACP provider directly. However, some companies will require you to first apply through the National Verifier, and then through the company’s application form. To apply through a company, follow these steps:
- Find a Lifeline/ACP provider that offers free Motorola government phones in your state of residence. You must be a resident of one of the states where your selected provider offers its services to qualify.
- Visit the provider’s official website.
- Fill out the online application form by providing the required personal information and eligibility documents. Some providers may also accept applications by mail.
- During the application process, you may have the option to choose a plan and a device model.
- After submitting your application, the provider will notify you about the approval status within a few days.
- If you have any questions, contact the provider’s customer service for assistance.
Best Companies in 2023 That Offer Free Motorola Government Phones
When it comes to searching for the best companies that offer free Motorola government phones, it’s important to know that most Lifeline and ACP providers don’t reveal which phone brand and model a customer may receive in advance, as the offer depends on the state, the plan, and availability. Nevertheless, there are some companies that do reveal (or at least hint at) the phone brand beforehand. These companies include:
AirTalk is one of the most generous Lifeline/ACP companies, as it offers a huge variety of high-quality Android phones and iPhones, as well as discounted tablets, and monthly plans with free monthly talk, text, and data. The company offers a large selection of free Motorola phones to choose from.
To learn more and apply, visit airtalkwireless.com.
Assurance is a Lifeline and ACP company by T-Mobile. It offers free monthly plans and free flip phones and Android phones. Currently, the company offers the Motorola Moto G Pure phone model, as well as other Android brands.
Learn more and apply at assurancewireless.com.
Cintex also offers free monthly plans with free talk, text, data, discounted tablets, and free flip phones or smartphones.
Find out more and enroll at cintexwireless.com.
Finally, NewPhone has also confirmed to offer free Motorola government phones, along with many other free Android phone models and iPhones. The company also offers discounted tablets and free monthly service plans.
Start your application process at newphone.com.
Other providers that offer free Android government phones (therefore, potentially, Motorola phones) include Access Wireless, Assist Wireless, Easy Wireless, enTouch Wireless, Life Wireless, SafeLink Wireless, StandUp Wireless, and TruConnect.
What Services Does Motorola Provide?
Motorola is a phone brand and manufacturer. As such, it doesn’t offer any services – products only.
Can I Get a Government Free Phone Directly From Motorola?
No, as Motorola is not a wireless service provider that would participate in Lifeline/ACP.
Is There Another Way to Get a Free Motorola Phone if Not Through the Government?
Yes, there are several other ways, including through a charity or non-profit, a carrier or retailer deal, online surveys or giveaways, etc.
What Other Phones Can You Get Through the Government?
You can also get Alcatel, Coolpad, Google, LG, Nokia, OnePlus, Samsung, Unimax, and Wiko phones through the government.
Can I Replace a Free Motorola Government Phone?
It depends on the Lifeline/ACP provider, however, most companies offer free or discounted replacement phones if the original phone gets broken.
Can I Upgrade a Free Motorola Government Phone?
It depends on the provider, however, many of them offer upgrade phones but not for free.