Medicaid is an American federal and state program, purposed to cut medical costs on individuals with strained resources and income. It was created in 1965 through the social security amendments act.This is the largest source of medical care service to low income individuals in USA.
It provides free and special health services to low income consumers, persons with disabilities, pregnant women and the elderly. Rather than medical care services, there is free cellphone with Medicaid program. Sponsored by lifeline, this program provides Medicaid free cellphone, free data, free texts and free call minutes to eligible families and individual. Therefore, free phone with Medicaid are free government phone given to Medicaid beneficiaries to offer them effective and affordable means of communication. These phone are given out by several providers that collaborate with the government. For instance; Safelink, Verizon, AT & T and T- Mobile wireless provider among others.
Who Is Eligible To Get Free Phone With Medicaid?
Not all American citizens get Medicaid free phone. To acquire one, you must be eligible. Note that, eligibility differs per your residential state. However, the federal government has general criteria to determine those eligible. In this site, we have given you enough guideline to know Medicaid free phone eligibility.
1. Financial Eligibility
To qualify for free Medicaid phone, the federal state law indicates that your finances or income should be equal or below 135% of the federal poverty line. That is approximately 2313$ in a month. The federal state uses the modified adjusted gross income methodology to determine financial eligibility for Medicaid free phone.
2. Non – Financial Eligibility
- Citizenship : Generally, you must be a fully registered US citizen. Alternatively, you can be a non-citizen with permanent residency in USA.
- Disability : Disability is another effective non-financial eligibility to Medicaid phone. However, you should be facing long term unemployment due to permanent disability.
- Pregnancy : In some states, pregnant women are eligible to acquire Medicaid free phone. Nevertheless, they should be financially strained.
- Old age : You qualify to get free Medicaid phone if you are a senior aged 65 years and above. This is because in some states, seniors are considered eligible to Medicaid benefits.
3. Asset Eligibility
Medicaid has asset limits or guides to determined eligibility. For instance, to qualify for free Medicaid phones, married couples should have an asset limit worth 3000$. Single applicants should have an asset limit of 2000$.
Qualified Method For Medicaid Free Cellphone
You can’t get Medicaid free cellphone if you are not a qualified member of Medicaid program. Therefore, ensure your eligibility first. As seen earlier, Medicaid eligibility differs from one state to another.
1. Fill the Medicaid free phone application form
Select the most reliable and convenient cellphone provider and fill your phones application form. During application remember:
- To fill correct and consistence details on the provided field.
- To attach documents to prove that you are eligible for Medicaid program.
There are two different ways in which you can fill these forms:
- Through visiting your provider’s office in person, fill an application form and attach your Medicaid membership proof.
- You can get one online.
Technology has really developed. As a result, most activities are conducted online. All you need to do is search your provider’s website, enroll and fill an application form.
You can also write them an email and request for Medicaid free phone application form
2. Receive your phone
Once you submit the form, your respective provider will prove eligibility then approve your request. You will then receive your phone through mail or direct delivery to your address.
What Documents Do You Need To Present
- Birth certificate to prove your age.
- Driving license.
- Social security number to prove citizenship.
- Current address to prove your residency.
- Your income proof.
- Medicaid program membership certificate or certificate of participation on any other government federal program.
- Bank accounts number.
How Do You Get Involved Or Get Enrolled In Medicaid?
Medicaid enrollment is quite simple. However, there is a condition that before you enroll, you must renew your application annually.
You get involved in Medicaid in two different ways:
A ) Send an application directly at your local states agency .
B ) Send an application to your marketplace healthcare through healthcare.gov.
In either way, below is the complete application procedure.
- Through the agency, fill Medicaid’s application form indicating correct and reliable personal details.
- Attach valid documentations to prove eligibility. Your state agency will use these documents for reference.
- Wait for approval. Once proved eligible, the state agency will send you an alert to notify that you are eligible for the program. In the alert, you will also know the date and amount expected.
- Acquire your benefits.
After Apply For Medicaid, What Happens?
After submitting your application form, a series of activities happen. Firstly, the state agency will access your documents and financial records. The state can also contact you for physical interview. If your documents and finances are straightforward, then your application will be approved immediately.
After approval, Medicaid will send you a letter or an email with the date and amount of benefit that you qualify.
How Long Does Medicaid Take To Process Its Application?
Mostly, this application takes 40 – 45 days to complete. However, the process might prolong to 90 days. This is as a result of failing to submit required documents in time. Presentation of wrong details and documents can also prolong duration or make your request cancelled.
Medicaid Free Cellphone Benefits
Most providers give out Medicaid free cellphone with several benefits. These phone come with 1000 free call minutes, unlimited texts and 1 GB free monthly data. They also come with free call waiting,free voicemail services, free well care members services and free 911 emergency calls.
Other Benefits From Medicaid Program
1. Medicaid covers medical care costs
This program covers nearly 80% health care costs for the poor, needy, seniors and disabled American residents. It covers long term and short term health care treatment costs like prescribed drugs costs, dental and optical care costs and physical therapy costs.
2. Medicaid offers comprehensive children benefits
It provides a very crucial children benefit known as early periodic screening diagnosis and treatment services. These services are important to children with disability and special needs.
Are Non- Citizens Eligible For Medicaid?
More often, only US citizens qualify for Medicaid. However, some states consider non-citizens eligible under the following conditions.
- To qualify as a non-citizen you should have lived in America for more than five years and attained legal permanent residency.
- To qualify as a non-citizen you should be 21 years and below or pregnant with a legal residency permit.
Note than, all humanitarian immigrants and refugees qualify for Medicaid for the first 7 years upon entering United States of America.
Difference Between Medicaid And Medicare
Medicaid and Medicare are two distinct federal programs that most people confuse. First of all, Medicaid is a federal state health assistance program while Medicare is a federal insurance program.
To expound, Medicare provides insurance medical care service to all aged disabled and seniors above 65 years regardless of their income. Note that this program is not completely free. Beneficiaries are required to pay a certain portion of their medical expensive on monthly basis. Additionally, Medicare is a federal government program, meaning all rules and regulations are similar across entire United State.
Medicaid on the other hand is a state federal program with rules and regulations differing from one state to another. Unlike Medicare, Medicaid is a health assistance program that relies on your personal income. I mean, it serves all strained income consumers regardless of their age or disability. Their services are not paid for.
There are several health assistance programs in USA. Among many, Medicaid is the most reliable and convenient program to consider. As seen, it ensures low income residence are not deprived the best health care services as well as effective communication.