If you are a person who participates in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as Food Stamps) and use the EBT payment system to purchase healthy, tasty, and nutritious food, you already know all about the benefits of this generous government assistance program. However, did you know that it has recently also become possible to receive a free tablet with EBT? Amazing news indeed! If you are a SNAP/EBT participant and a resident of Pennsylvania, you may want to stay tuned, as we will explore all there is to know about the Free Tablet With EBT Pennsylvania initiative.
How is it Possible to Get a Free Tablet With EBT in Pennsylvania?
Receiving a free tablet with EBT may sound nothing short of miraculous or you may not even believe it’s possible. Especially if you are already a SNAP/EBT user, you may be thinking that you know exactly which items you can purchase with your EBT credits and that it’s certainly not a tablet! But bear with us. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) indeed only allows participants to use their EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) card to purchase food items in certain authorized stores. However, the fact that you participate in SNAP/EBT means that you come from a low-income household and therefore, you automatically qualify for a bunch of other government assistance programs as well. One of the aid programs that you qualify for if you receive EBT benefits is the new Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP).
Just like SNAP/EBT itself, ACP is a true blessing for its beneficiaries. However, instead of providing food, ACP provides discounted or free monthly internet service plans and in some cases, a free tablet (or another internet-connected device). The monthly service plan may be completely free of charge (depending on the initial price of the plan, as the discount covers $30 on $75 for eligible applicants living on Tribal lands) and it may include free home or wireless data, as well as free talk minutes, text messages, and/or other perks. However, the ‘free’ tablet cannot be completely free of charge, even though the device discount is up to $100, as government rules require the customer to pay a mandatory co-pay of more than $10 and less than $50. Moreover, while all the companies who participate in ACP and offer ACP benefits to eligible customers provide free or discounted monthly plans, only some of them also offer discounts on devices. Luckily, there are several amazing ACP companies that offer free tablets with EBT in Pennsylvania.
Free Tablet With EBT Pennsylvania – Best Providers
In Pennsylvania, there are numerous ACP companies that not only offer discounts on monthly services but also offer discounts on connected devices (usually tablets). Some of the best such companies include:
- Go Technology Management (review the offer and apply at http://www.goknows.com/)
- PCs for People (review the offer and apply at https://www.pcsforpeople.org/)
- Maxsip Telecom (review the offer and apply at https://www.maxsiptel.com/)
- NewPhone Wireless (review the offer and apply at https://www.newphone.com/)
- Whoop Connect (review the offer and apply at https://www.whoopconnect.com/)
- Q Link Wireless (review the offer and apply at http://qlinkwireless.com/)
- Cintex Wireless (review the offer and apply at https://www.cintexwireless.com/)
- Unity Wireless (review the offer and apply at https://www.gounitywireless.com/)
- Excess Telecom (review the offer and apply at https://excesstelecom.com/)
Can I Simply Order a Free Tablet With EBT Pennsylvania?
Hold your horses! Receiving a free tablet from an ACP company is not as simple as visiting Target, taking a device, and paying for it at the register. Instead, ACP is a government assistance program, therefore it requires a process to obtain it. However, as you already seem to participate in the EBT program, you may be halfway there.
The process of receiving a free tablet with EBT in Pennsylvania involves the following vital steps:
- You must make sure that you qualify for ACP. If you participate in SNAP/EBT, you likely do. Find out more in the next section.
- You must have the right documents to prove your eligibility for the program.
- You must apply for a free tablet with EBT in Pennsylvania (through the National Verifier and your selected ACP provider that operates in your area) and wait to see if your application gets approved.
In case you have any questions about the process, don’t worry, as they will likely be answered in the following sections.
Who Can Benefit from the Free Tablet With EBT Pennsylvania Initiative?
The answer to this question is rather simple – EBT (SNAP) participants who reside in Pennsylvania, are more than 18 years old (or emancipated) and are the only applicants in their household.
In case you are not an EBT/SNAP subscriber yet, you can become one by following these instructions:
- Step 1: Determine eligibility: Eligibility is based on income, assets, citizenship status, and other factors. Your household’s gross monthly income must be at or below 130% of the poverty line, which varies by household size and state. Net income must also be below the poverty line, and there are asset limits.
- Step 2: Provide proof of eligibility: During the application, you’ll need to submit documents to verify your eligibility. This includes identity, residency, income, and, if applicable, noncitizen status.
- Step 3: Apply: Apply for EBT/SNAP either through your local SNAP office or online through your state’s SNAP website. Gather necessary documentation beforehand.
- Step 4: Application submission: The process varies; SSI recipients can get an application at a Social Security office, while others apply directly to the local SNAP office.
- Step 5: Interview and processing: Expect an interview, usually by phone. Processing takes about 30 days, with expedited service available. Keep confirmation letters for future use.
For state-specific details, consult your local SNAP office.
However, even if you don’t become a SNAP/EBT participant, you may still be able to qualify for ACP based on another criterion:
- You are also ACP-eligible if you participate in another government assistance program, such as Lifeline, Medicaid, SSI, WIC, FPHA, Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit, School Breakfast Program, a Tribal assistance program, or Federal Pell Grant.
- You are also ACP-eligible if your household’s income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty level.
- Regardless of which of the listed ACP eligibility requirements you meet, you must always be 18 years old or more (or emancipated) and the only applicant in your household.
Will I Have to Prove My Free Tablet With EBT Pennsylvania Eligibility?
Absolutely! As you can see based on the ACP eligibility requirements above, the program’s benefits are not available for all. In fact, only the people who qualify for it can apply. As such, it only makes sense that the government will thoroughly check whether or not you meet the eligibility requirements before they give you any benefits.
But worry not, as we’ll help you prepare for the application process, which involves you providing all the relevant information and documentation.
- Expect to be asked to provide personal information, such as your full legal name, address, date of birth, Social Security Number, and contact information.
- Expect to be asked to provide clear copies of valid official documents that prove your eligibility (your participation in SNAP/EBT or another government assistance program or your low income, depending on how you qualify).
- You can prove your program participation by providing a program approval letter, benefit award letter, statement of benefits, or benefit verification letter.
- You can prove your low income by providing a copy of your paycheck stubs, a current income statement from your employer, a prior year’s tax return, etc.
- Expect to be asked to provide clear copies of valid official documents that prove your identity, age, address, emancipation, or other personal information. Acceptable documents may include a valid ID, passport, birth certificate, driver’s license, utility bill, emancipation certificate, etc.
How Can I Apply for a Free Tablet With EBT Pennsylvania?
You can apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) in three ways:
- Online through the National Verifier: Visit https://getinternet.gov/apply?id=acp and create an account if needed. Follow the online application instructions, available in multiple languages, provide all the required information and documentation copies, and you may get immediate approval.
- Mail through the National Verifier: Print the application in English from https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/ACP-Application-Form-English.pdf. Include the Household Worksheet, which is also available in multiple languages at https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/wp-content/uploads/lifeline/images/ACP-Household-Worksheet-English.pdf. Complete both forms, gather document copies, and mail them to ACP Support Center, PO Box 9100, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773.
- Contact Your Internet Company: Check if your current internet company participates in the ACP, select one of the ACP free tablet with EBT providers in Pennsylvania listed above, or use the online tool at https://cnm.universalservice.org/ to find another participating company nearby. Visit the companies’ official websites to assess their offers and choose the provider that aligns with your needs. Once you’ve selected a suitable ACP provider, apply by visiting the provider’s official website, entering your ZIP code, choosing a plan and other benefits if prompted, completing the application form with accurate information and required document copies, submitting the application, and awaiting approval notification.
Once you apply, the National Verifier and/or the company will review your application and inform you of the approval status. If approved, you’ll receive your free tablet and other benefits shortly.
Note that most ACP companies operate online, so you’ll likely receive benefits via mail (within a few days after approval), not in-store.
Obtaining a Free Tablet With EBT Pennsylvania and Other Benefits
If your application gets approved, you can expect to receive a free or discounted internet service plan, which may include free home or wireless data, free voice minutes, free texts, and access to a nationwide network. Additionally, you will receive a free tablet. The free tablet models that are currently offered with EBT in Pennsylvania include:
- Alcatel Joy Tab
- Alcatel Joy Tab 2
- Sky Pad 8
- Konnect One Moxee Tablet
- Sky Elite T8 Plus
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S
- Apple iPad
Note that the tablet selection differs between companies and that it changes often. Also, keep in mind that the company probably won’t allow you to choose which tablet you wish to receive but you will get one depending on availability. Moreover, don’t forget that you will have to pay a one-time of between $10 and $50 to receive the device.