Reasons to Cancel Assurance Wireless
Assurance Wireless is a popular and generous Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) provider. With the support of the federal Universal Service Fund, it offers free monthly phone and wireless services with free unlimited talk, text, and data, up to 10 GB of mobile hotspot data, and a free smartphone to eligible low-income customers. If you are lucky enough to qualify for the company’s amazing assistance program, you may wonder why the heck would you ever give the benefits up. Well, even though it may not seem logical at first sight, there are many reasons why you would want to cancel your Assurance Wireless service.
- The number one reason why you would need to cancel your Assurance service is if your Assurance phone or SIM card gets lost or stolen. In this case, it is mandatory to immediately cancel your service to prevent people who may have stolen or found the device from inflicting additional charges on your account (which you would have to cover).
- Secondly, you may no longer qualify for the Lifeline/ACP program. If you have gotten a good job and improved your financial situation or canceled your membership in a government benefit program, you may no longer qualify for Lifeline or ACP.
- You may also need to cancel your Assurance service if you have recently moved. Perhaps you have moved to a state where the company does not offer its services or to an area where the company’s network has poor coverage.
- Lastly, you may feel the urge to switch to another provider. This is often the reason if the new provider offers special discounts for new customers. If so, make sure that the new provider’s offer is indeed better in your area.
What Do I Need to Know and Do Before Cancelling My Assurance Wireless Service?
Before you take any drastic measures, make sure to take the following factors into consideration and take the following steps:
- Make sure that you don’t have any unsettled payments with Assurance Wireless.
- Back up all personal files to ensure that you don’t lose them during the cancelation process. After all, the company may ask you to return the smartphone that you have received if you decide to cancel their services.
- Decide whether or not you wish to keep your existing phone number. Make sure to inform the representative of your decision, as the agent will either enable you to use your phone number with another carrier or assign the number to a new subscriber, depending on what you choose.
- If you are planning to switch to another provider, make sure to find the new provider in advance and ensure that the company operates in your area, offers excellent coverage in your area, and offers great (preferably better than Assurance) benefits in your area. If Assurance will decide to take your phone away, also make sure that the new provider offers a free phone as well.
- If you wish to apply for another provider’s services, ensure that you still qualify for Lifeline and ACP and prepare the documentation that you will be once again required to provide during the application process. Even if the new provider does not offer Lifeline/ACP benefits, make sure to review its offer and prepare all the documentation that will have to be submitted when applying.
How to Cancel Assurance Wireless Service
If you are firmly decided that you wish to cancel your Assurance Wireless services, you can do so by following one of the ways described below. Luckily, the process is quick and simple either way and there are no cancellation or termination fees.
Cancel Assurance Wireless by Phone
Canceling your Assurance Wireless services by phone is by far the simplest and quickest way to get it over with. All you have to do is to contact the company’s customer support service at 1-888-321-5880, ask to speak to a representative, and then, ask the agent to terminate your service. Make sure to explain your decision and note whether or not you wish to keep your number. The agent will ask you certain process-related questions, and the entire process will be finished in a few minutes.
You can also contact the company via mail at Assurance Wireless, P.O. Box 5040, Charleston, IL 61920-9907. Nevertheless, doing so will take much more time than contacting the company by phone.
Cancel Assurance Wireless Through Your Online Account
You can also cancel your service through your online account. Simply visit myaccount.assurancewireless.com/my-account/login, enter and confirm your phone number, and press ‘Next’. Once you are signed into your account, you can cancel the service there.
Automatic Service Cancelation
Assurance Wireless reserves the right to terminate your service on its own. They can do so in the following cases:
- If your phone has been reported lost or stolen.
- If you are no longer Lifeline or ACP-eligible.
- If you are unable to complete your annual recertification process on time.
- If your account is inactive for more than 45 consecutive days.
- If your account has been connected with fraudulent activity.
- If you have violated the company’s terms and conditions in any way. Read the terms and conditions at assurancewireless.com/legal/terms-and-conditions.
How Long Does it Take to Cancel Assurance Wireless Service?
Exactly how long it may take to cancel your Assurance Wireless service depends on the cancelation method that you choose. Canceling your services via mail may take a while, as it generally takes a long time for the company to receive the mail, read it, and respond properly. On the other hand, if decide to cancel Assurance Wireless by phone, it will only take a few minutes. After you reach a representative and explain what it is you want, the agent will do their thing and your account will officially be disconnected within a few minutes. Afterward, your SIM card will be rendered useless and you won’t be able to make calls, send text messages, or use your monthly data.
What Happens If I Cancel Assurance Wireless Service?
As soon as your service gets terminated, you will be unable to place or receive phone calls, send or receive text messages, or use your data. In some cases (such as service inactivity, failing to do the annual recertification on time, or service cancelation due to a lost/stolen device), you will be able to reactivate your account, however, in other cases, you will not be able to reactivate your account.
Account termination may also result in you losing your phone number, deleting your voicemail messages, and the company may take away your phone.
In case you also need information How Do I Get Assurance Wireless Free Government Phone
Can I Keep My Phone After Canceling Assurance Wireless Service?
The moment you cancel your Assurance Wireless service, the company has the right to collect your free phone. However, the provider does not do so in all cases. Unfortunately, there is no way to know whether or not you will be allowed to keep the phone in advance. If you brought your own phone to Assurance, the company will definitely not take it away.
Do I Have to Pay Any Charges to Cancel the Assurance Wireless Service?
No, you won’t have to pay any termination or cancellation fees. The company does, however, charge some other fees, such as a fee to purchase a replacement phone (which may be waived upon the receipt of a police report if the device was stolen).
Can Assurance Itself Cancel My Wireless Service?
Yes, Assurance has the right to cancel your wireless service itself at any time. The provider can do so under certain conditions that are described in the section ‘Automatic Service Cancelation’ above.
How to Transfer My Lifeline Benefit to Another Provider?
Even though each household can only receive one Lifeline benefit from one provider at a time, every Lifeline customer has the right to transfer their Lifeline benefits to another provider at any time.
To do so, simply contact the new provider (make sure they offer their services in your state of residence and review the plans that are available in your area). Ask the representative to transfer your Lifeline benefit to them. Make sure to contact the new provider before you cancel your services with your old provider, as this way you may lose your phone number. You may be required to reapply with the National Verifier and to apply for their services on their website. To do so, you must be Lifeline/ACP-eligible and able to prove it. You may also be required to provide your verbal or written consent acknowledging that you will lose your Lifeline benefit with the previous provider and confirmation that you realize that you may not have more than one Lifeline benefit per household.
You can read one of our past articles Assurance Wireless Compatible Phones
What to Do if I Have Any Additional Questions About How to Cancel Assurance Wireless?
If you have any additional questions, contact Assurance Wireless by phone at 1-888-321-5880.