With the current economy, everyone is looking for ways to save some money. One of the best ways to start saving is applying for free cell phones for seniors that helps you reduce the phone bill. The majority of seniors can apply for a free cell phones that comes with a free monthly phone plan.
Can Seniors Get Free Cell Phones?
Yes, they can. This is because lifeline is meant to provide free cell phones to low income citizens. Due to old age, seniors can’t work. In this case, they are rendered jobless with low income, making them eligible to get free cellphones from the government. However, it is important to note that not all seniors get free cellphones from the government.
Why Should Seniors Consider The Lifeline Assistance Program?
Known to all, seniors are subjects to numerous risks. They are generally weak and prone to diseases. This calls the need for seniors to consider lifeline assistance program. I mean, through this program, seniors can get all the help and attention they need.
Firstly, the program provides them reliable phones that ensure they are safe in case of emergency. Rather that safety, seniors also need phones for social support and mental health.
Seniors should also consider lifeline assistance program in order to get the best medical care services. The program ensures they get the best and convenient medical care services from the best facilities. Through the program, seniors can also get nutritious food which helps to boost their health.
Seniors Who Can Apply Free Cell Phones Are
As stated earlier, not all senior qualify to get free cellphones from the government. To apply free cellphone, seniors should be:
- 65 years of age and above.
- Should have no retirement benefits, no income or earn 135% below the federal poverty guidelines.
- Should be disabled with no work experience as a result of your disability. Nevertheless, you should not be receiving any disability benefit.
- Should be an active member of at least one government aid program.
How You Can Qualify For The Lifeline Assistance Program
To apply for this program, you must meet any of these requirements:
- Have an annual income that is below the federal poverty requirement
- Be a member of one or two of various government assistance programs such as:
- National Free School Lunch Program
- Section 8 or Federal Public Housing
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Food Stamps/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Even though lifeline assistance is given to one senior per family, you might qualify if you stay in a homeless shelter or nursing home. This is because the facilities qualify as several households. You might also apply if you have a temporary address.
You might get low-income help from one wireless or wire line phone provider per household. Additionally, make sure you don’t receive a lifeline help, or none of your family members can be subscribed to the program.
How Can I Prove That I’m Eligible?
You will need to present qualifying documents to participate in this program. These documentations might include:
- A recent statement of benefits offered by a recognized governmental assistance program where you are a member
- Official certification from any of the qualifying assistance program mentioned above
- Certification to prove your annual income, such as tax return for the previous year, paycheck stubs, or statement of benefits given by the social security office.
- Any paperwork that offers current details about your annual income
What Documents Need For Seniors To Apply Free Phones ?
- A fully signed lifeline assistance application form
- A fully signed lifeline program worksheet
A copy of any of these certification or supporting documents of program-based eligibility if applying as a member of any program:
- State/federal income tax returns for the previous year
- Income statement
- Paycheck stubs
- Statement of benefits from social security statement
- statement of benefit from the veteran’s administration
- Statement of benefit from pension
- Child support or divorce documentation
Lifeline Assistance Application Process.
Below is a guideline of the complete application process that a seniors should go through when applying for free phones.
- Choose the best lifeline service carrier in your residential area. To know your state’s lifeline carrier,visit lifelinesupport.org and enter your zip code. You can also visit their physical offices to find out your state’s lifeline provider.
- From your preferred company, fill the lifeline application form. In the form, include your official name, age, address, social security number, previous years income and membership certificate of any government aid .
- After submission, lifeline will prove eligibility and send your free phone in the mentioned address.
How Long Does It Take To Process Your Application.
Your application process depends on your residential state and preferred lifeline service provider. However, more often than not, life line application takes aduration of 40 – 60 days for sufficient time to prove eligibility
7 Best Free Cell Phones Model For Seniors
1. Jitterbug Flip
- Large buttons and huge readable numbers that make dialing easy
- Powerful speaker to make sure conversations are loud and clear
- No cancellation charges or long term contracts
- Can be activated with GreatCall to retain your number
2. Nokia 4.2
- Dual camera
- Better optimization and better performance
- Upgraded Android version
- Notification lights
- Big display and high contrast
3. Motorola G6 Play
- Long-lasting battery
- 13MP camera
- Fast performance
- Maximum vision display
4. Snapfon ezTWO
- Huge buttons that are easy to read and activate
- Higher earpiece volume
- Has an SOS button that is used to connect with emergency phone number
5. LG Exalt VN220
- Long-lasting battery
- Can support HD voice calls that produce a clear conversation
- Allows you to share network through mobile hotspot
- Large buttons that are easy to use
6. Jitterbug Smart2
- Large touchscreen that will enable you to read texts and numbers easily
- The menu is arranged in a single list with big icons and letters, making it easier to navigate
- A user-friendly smartphone with exceptional features that are found on GreatCall network
- No cancellation charges
- No contract
7. ASUS ZenFone Max Pro
- Large display of 6.3 inches
- 12MP camera
- Longer battery life with its Li-Po 5000 mAh battery
- The unlocked cell phone is compatible with various carriers such as T-mobile and AT&T
10 Best Free Cellphone Providers For Seniors
The best cell phone company for seniors should be inexpensive, uncomplicated, and doesn’t surprise the clients when paying the phone bills. We’ll have a look at the best cell phone companies for the seniors.
1. American Assistance
The moment you sign up for this program, you receive 1GB worth of data, unlimited texts, and 1000 minutes. American Assistance provide free cellphone in this States: Colorado, Hawaii, lllinois ,Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah,West Virginia,Wisconsin.
2. Assist Wireless
People living outside Oklahoma will receive 1000 minutes, 500 messages, while the data allocation will differ with your location. Assist Wireless provide free cellphone in this States: Arkansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma.
3. Assurance Wireless
With this provider, you get unlimited calls and messages and 2GB worth of data for free.Assurance Wireless provide free cellphone in this States: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin.
4. En Touch Wireless
With this provider, users are guaranteed with high speed 4G LTE connection. Residents in California receive unlimited calls, unlimited texts, and 500 MB worth of data. People living in other parts get 100MB data.En Touch Wireless provide free cellphone in this States: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.
5. Easy Wireless
This gives less data compared to other providers. Nevertheless, you can recharge the account for $5 to get 1GB whenever you are out of data.Easy Wireless provide free cellphone in this States: Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma.
6. Arctic Slope Telephone Association Cooperative (ASTAC)
The provider offers unlimited minutes and unlimited texting within North Slope. They also allow up to six additional lines to share local service. They allow you to use up to 6 additional lines.
7. Cintex Wireless
The provider has a good plan that offers a free smartphone, 1000 free talk time, 1 GB data, and unlimited messages every month.Cintex Wireless provide free cellphone in this States: Arkansas, Maine, Maryland, Rhode Island, West Virginia.
8. Copper Valley Wireless
The company gives you 450 minutes and unlimited texting per month for $1 only.
9. Infiniti Mobile
The provider gives you a free smartphone, 750 minutes of countrywide talk, and unlimited messages for $1 a month. Infiniti Mobile provide free cellphone in this States: Oklahoma
10. Life Wireless
The provider will provide you with a free handset, 1000 calls, unlimited messages, and MMS. You also get 1GB worth of data free every month.Life Wireless provide free cellphone in this States: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Lllinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin.
Life Line Restrictions
Life line has set restrictions on its members. To benefit from this program,
- You must prove your eligibility. That is, you must prove your qualification to acquire free cellphone from this program.
- You must be honest in your application form. You must fill correct information in respective fields.
- You must use your free phone or else you lose it. Make sure your phone is active at least once in every one month.
- You must update your respective company of any arising information. For instance, change of address.
- You must have only one phone per household.
Smartphone Tips for Seniors
When selecting or purchasing smartphone for seniors, follow the following tips;
- Smartphones for seniors should not be complicated to use. These phones should have few applications that are well arranged for ease use.
- Easily visible. These smartphones should have enlarged screens and touch buttons. The screen and keypads should also be well lit for clear vision.
- Amplified volumes. These phones should have enhanced volumes to boost audibility.
- Relevant notifications and reminders. Smartphones for seniors should have relevant reminders and alerts. For instance, medication reminder and low battery alert.
- Unique emergency key for quick help. Emergency key should be unique to easily distinguish from other keys.
Tips For Choosing The Best Provider
There are a couple of things you must consider when choosing a cell phone company. Some of the notable things to look at include the rate of calls, data plans, and text messages. You also need to look at the coverage and other factors like the reputation of the provider, regional coverage, contract length, and good customer service.
Things To Consider Before Picking A Plan
When it comes to choosing the best cell phone plan, network coverage is the first thing to consider. You also need to determine how much data you consume. You also need to check the allowances you will get with the plan to make sure it will be enough for your consumption. Lastly, check the length of the contract before making the final decision. Sign up for a longer contract that will give you a perfect deal.
Getting free data is not easy. However, the government is providing free phones services to its seniors citizens. But you must be careful when selecting a carrier because some companies will not provide their internet services in all states. Therefore, select a carrier that provides enough free data each month and ensure the plan is accessible in your region. In case you are not eligible to get a free cell phone then you may try, how to get a free landline phone service for seniors. On the other hand some company offer free cell phone when you switch other brands.