TruConnect, formally known as TruConnect Mobile, is an American phone and wireless service provider and MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) that offers plans on T-Mobile’s nationwide network. The company participates in two government assistance programs – Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). Through those programs, qualifying low-income customers can receive free wireless services with high-speed data, unlimited talk and text, as well as a free Android smartphone.
In this article, we will take a closer look at TruConnect upgrade phones. We’ll discuss their availability, price, and how to get one.
Things to Consider, Do, and Have Before You Can Get a TruConnect Upgrade Phone
Before you can get a TruConnect upgrade phone, you must first become a TruConnect customer. Prior to committing to it, make sure that TruConnect is the right choice for you. To make an informed decision, follow these simple steps:
- Consider the company’s offer. Do the plans come with sufficient amounts of high-speed data? Does the company provide all the perks that you need?
- Consider the company’s network. Even the best offer is no good if you live in an area where the provider’s network coverage is poor. Poor network coverage may make it difficult for you to make a simple phone call, let alone use your monthly data.
If your heart is set on becoming a TruConnect customer, you can go ahead and enroll. To do so successfully, you must follow this simple process:
- Make sure that you qualify for TruConnect’s Lifeline and ACP benefits. To qualify, you must be 18+ years old or an emancipated minor, the only applicant in your household, and a resident of one of the states where TruConnect offers its services – Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, U.S. Virgin Islands, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Moreover, to qualify, you must meet the Lifeline and/or ACP eligibility criteria. You can apply for both programs based on your income or participation in another qualifying government assistance program. To qualify based on income, your annual household income must be at or below 135% (for Lifeline) or 200% (for ACP) of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. To qualify based on program participation, you must participate in Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, WIC, Tribal programs, etc.
- Make sure you can prove your eligibility by providing copies of valid official documents.
- Apply through the National Verifier and then through TruConnect’s official website at truconnect.com.
- If your application gets approved, you will receive all the benefits, including free monthly services and a free device. In case the device you get doesn’t suit you, you can then start considering the possibility of upgrading your TruConnect phone.
What Kinds of Mobile Devices Does TruConnect Offer?
In terms of cell phones, TruConnect offers the following options:
- A free Android smartphone for eligible customers. TruConnect (like many other Lifeline/ACP providers) doesn’t reveal exactly which phone brand and model eligible customers can receive in advance, as the offer depends on availability, state, and plan. However, the company does reveal that eligible customers will get a Google Play Certified LTE Android smartphone.
- Bring your own phone. The company also allows customers to bring their own unlocked devices that are compatible with TruConnect’s services and network. The company will first have to test your phone’s compatibility.
- Replacement phone. In case your original TruConnect phone that was provided to you by TruConnect itself doesn’t work, you can return it within 90 days of first use and the company will send you a comparable replacement phone at its own cost.
- Upgrade phone. Indeed, it is possible to upgrade your TruConnect phone if you wish to do so. Note: As TruConnect is a government assistance provider, it does not offer a huge selection of upgrade phones.
How to Get a TruConnect Upgrade Phone?
If you wish to upgrade your original TruConnect phone, you can absolutely do so, regardless of how you received the first device (if it was provided to you by TruConnect or if you brought your own phone). In fact, you have two options:
You can get an upgrade phone directly from TruConnect.
To get a TruConnect upgrade phone from the company, you can either visit one of the company’s stores (find one near you at truconnect.com/locations) or purchase a device online.
If you decide to purchase it in-store, the representative will help you find a phone that completely fits your needs and they will guide you through the purchase.
On the other hand, to buy the phone online, visit truconnect.com/devices and see the list of currently available TruConnect phones. As the selection here may be very limited, make sure to also click ‘Explore more products’ (or go straight to shop.truconnect.com/shop/?_product_categories=phones), as there you will be redirected to a much larger assortment.
Once you find a device that suits your needs, simply press ‘Select options’ and ‘Add to cart’. Then, go to your cart and press ‘Check out’. Place the online order just like you would place any other online purchase. You will receive a confirmation email and the device via mail shortly.
You can get an upgrade phone elsewhere and bring it to TruConnect.
In case you are unable to find a TruConnect upgrade phone that fits your needs, you can consider buying a newer, more advanced phone elsewhere and then bringing it to TruConnect. If you decide to do so, make sure that the device you buy is carrier-unlocked and that it’s compatible with TruConnect’s services.
Are TruConnect Upgrade Phones Free?
TruConnect upgrade phones are not free of charge. Instead, you will have to pay for the device at full price. Luckily, most of TruConnect’s phones are not very expensive, as such, the cost may not be that steep. However, certain devices are very advanced and pricey.
Currently, TruConnect offers upgrade phones ranging from $64 (NUU F4L Flip phone) to $1899 (Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4).
Which TruConnect Upgrade Phones are Currently Available?
TruConnect currently offers a decent selection of flip phones and smartphones, including:
- NUU F4L Flip Phone
- Cloud Mobile Stratus C7
- LG Aristo 4 Plus
- Motorola E5 Play
- Alcatel Revvl 4
- NUU A11L
- LG K40
- BLU View 3
- Alcatel 3V
- Motorola G7 Revvlry
- NUU X6 Plus
- LG Aristo 5
- Motorola G Play (2021)
- Motorola G Fast
- Samsung Galaxy A03s
- Nokia G100
- Samsung Galaxy A12
- Wingtech Revvl V+ 5G
- Motorola E
- Nokia 3.4
- TCL Revvl 5G
- Motorola G Power (2022=
- Motorola G7 Power
- Apple iPhone 8
- Samsung Galaxy S10e
- OnePlus Nord N10 5G
- Motorola G Play (2023)
- OnePlus Nord 200 5G
- Google Pixel 4
- Motorola G Stylus 5G
- Apple iPhone 11
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G
- Google Pixel 6a 5G
- Motorola Edge 5G (2022)
- Apple iPhone 13
- Google Pixel 7 Pro
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4
What to Do if I Have Any Additional Questions About TruConnect Upgrade Phones?
In case you have any other questions or concerns about TruConnect upgrade phones, it’s best to speak to a TruConnect representative. There are several ways to get in touch with an agent: