Why Do You Want To Replace Your Metro PCS Phone?
Metro PCS is one of the most popular no-contract prepaid wireless service providers in the U.S. Since 2013 when the company was bought and has merged with T-Mobile US, it is officially known as Metro by T-Mobile. It operates on the nationwide T-Mobile network, however, they offer independent services and products. Metro PCS has acquired millions of subscribers throughout the years, mostly because of the low-cost plans, a large variety of high-quality mobile devices, frequent special offers, reliable nationwide coverage, and many other great services they provide.
If you are a Metro PCS customer or are planning to join the millions of Americans who are, there is a good chance that sooner or later you may need a replacement phone. Why? Well, there are several reasons why a long-time subscriber may want to replace his or her Metro PCS phone.
- For one, replacing a phone may help you get better services :Upgrading your phone will enable you to enjoy many services, including limited and unlimited data plans for a more affordable price, better plans for calls and text messages, and better phone deals.
- You may wish to upgrade your device: Nowadays, technology advances faster than ever before. Cell phone brands and manufacturers come up with tons of new and exciting features every year, which make the lives of users more and more convenient. Upgrading your old mobile device may give you the latest operating system, larger memory storage, a better camera, a larger and more immersive screen, faster processing and internet speeds, and tons of other advanced options. However, upgrading your phone while your old one is still fully functional, will probably require you to pay a certain amount of money, depending on which phone you wish to purchase.
- You may have to replace your device if the old one isn’t working well: When it comes to technology, the popular saying “old is gold” certainly doesn’t apply. The older your phone (or tablet, computer, etc.) the less useful it is. Not only does it lack all the newer and better features the latest models have, but phones with outdated operating systems will also inevitably begin to malfunction with time. Some of the first and most common signs that your phone is starting to malfunction are text message delivery issues, network losses, system issues, etc.
- You will feel the urge to replace your phone when the manufacturer stops supporting your device: Supporting old technology is expensive, therefore, manufacturers often decide to stop supporting old phone versions. Suddenly, you won’t get the proper updates, you won’t be able to fix any issues, and you won’t have any other choice but to replace your phone with a newer model.
- Your company or another situation might force you to upgrade your phone: Oftentimes we rely on our phones for work. And if your old phone isn’t as reliable as it used to be, your company may require you to switch to a device with a later operating system. In addition, as we grow and get older, we may develop new hobbies and needs that may require us to use other features, such as health and fitness trackers, hearing aid support, and dedicated emergency buttons.
- Most importantly, you will need an immediate replacement in case your phone gets lost, stolen, damaged, or broken: If your device gets lost, stolen, damaged, or broken you will need a replacement device right away. Make sure to contact Metro by PCS as soon as possible and they will offer you a free replacement phone of like-kind and quality. Instead, you can also choose to select a better phone for an additional charge.
What Type Of Replacement Phone Does Metro PCS Provide?
Obviously, we have to differentiate between upgrading a phone and receiving a replacement device. You can always choose to upgrade your phone – to simply buy a new one. However, you are only entitled to receive a replacement phone if your old one gets lost, stolen, damaged, or broken. In these cases, Metro PCS will provide you with a replacement device free of charge. As such, they have certain rules about what type of replacement phones they provide.
The general rule is that your old device will be replaced with a reconditioned device of the same type and quality. In case a reconditioned phone is not available, you will receive a new device of the same type and quality as your old one. Colors, features, and accessory compatibility are not guaranteed. The replacement phone comes with a 180-day warranty or the original manufacturer’s warranty – the longer term applies.
How To Replace A Metro PCS Phone
Replacing a Metro PCS phone is quick and easy – you simply have to get a new phone and insert a Metro PCS SIM card in it. But let’s start at the beginning.
Metro PCS Phone Replacement Procedure – What If Your Metro PCS Phone Gets Lost, Stolen, Damaged, or Broken?
In case your Metro PCS phone got lost or stolen, first, make sure to contact Metro PCS customer service as soon as possible, as you will be required to pay for any additional usage charges that have occurred after the device has disappeared and before you have notified the company. You can call their customer service at 1-800-316-2075 and a representative will walk you through the process. To file a claim, you will have to provide the following information:
- Your phone number, serial number, or IMEI
- Your device make and model
- What exactly happened to the device and when
- Contact info and perhaps your ID
- Your account PIN number or security question – for security purposes
- A payment method for the deductible
You can also file a claim online. Log on to the Metro PCS website (or create an account in case you don’t already have one) and go to the phone claim section. You can also go directly to fastclaim.com/metro. Press ‘Get started’. You will be asked to enter the phone number of the device that has been lost or stolen. Once you do so, you will be required to provide the last name attached to the account and the ZIP code. Once you do so, press ‘Continue’. Then, you will be prompted to provide all the additional information that is needed to successfully file your claim, including your shipping address. After your claim has been submitted, you will get an estimated deductible on how much you can save on getting a new phone. For further assistance, contact their customer support.
Once you have filed a claim, you can track it online. 24 hours after filing your claim, Metro PCS will send a replacement phone your way. As you receive your new phone, you will also need a Metro PCS SIM card. In case you have an old SIM card, you should consider replacing it with a new one that supports the latest technology. Once you have acquired both, simply place the SIM card into your replacement phone and activate the device.
Note that you must report the phone loss or damage and file a claim as soon as possible, 60 days from the date of loss/damage at the latest. Also, keep in mind that you will be required to return the damaged device with the prepaid shipping label that you will receive with the replacement device.
Metro PCS provides full protection against loss, theft, physical damage, and mechanical or electrical breakdown after the manufacturer’s warranty period has expired with their Premium Handset Protection (PHP) Program for a $6 monthly charge.
In case you also need information How To Unlock T-Mobile Phone
Can I Replace My Metro PCS Online?
You can file a claim and thus initiate the replacement process by phone or online.
What If Metro PCS Phone Doesn’t Work?
If your original Metro PCS phone or your replacement Metro PCS phone doesn’t work, simply follow the Metro PCS phone replacement procedure above.
How Do I Permanently Deactivate Metro PCS Lost Or Stolen Phone?
Deactivating your phone will remove it from the network so that it is free to be used on another account. You can deactivate your device temporarily or permanently. To do so, follow either one of the simple methods below.
- Call customer service at 1-888-8Metro8 and request to have the phone disconnected. You will be required to provide the name on the account and the account security PIN.
- Simply stop paying for the phone to be active. First, it will be suspended for 30 days, then it will get automatically disconnected from the network.
- Change to a new phone. Once a new device is set up on the network, the old phone will be automatically deactivated.
Metro PCS Replacement Phones And New Phones – Is The Activation Process The Same?
The activation process for a new and a replacement Metro PCS is similar, but not exactly the same.
The activation process for a new Metro PCS device:
Before you get started note that you will need your phone and SIM card.
Existing customers with existing accounts can activate a new phone by dialing 1-888-8-Metro8 (1-888-863-8768) or by visiting their nearest store. The activation process should take only about 10 minutes.
New accounts, on the other hand, can do the activation online. Online activation is also only for phones. To activate another connected device, you must call dialing 1-888-8-Metro8 (1-888-863-8768) or visit your local store.
The activation process allows you to get a new number or bring your old one from your previous carrier. In case you wish to bring your own number, you will need to provide your current carrier’s account number and PIN.
To activate your new Metro PCS phone you will need to provide:
- Your phone IMEI and SIM card number
- Your rate plan selection (you will be requested to select a plan and plan for your first month)
- Your email address (it must be unique and not associate with another Metro PCS account)
Customers who are switching from Verizon Wireless will be required to have a number transfer PIN. To get it, you must dial #7678 from the phone on the account holder’s name and Verizon will send you an SMS with a link. Click ‘generate a PIN’ on the screen and you will see your account number and transfer PIN.
You can do the actual activation at metrobyt-mobile.com/self-service/activate by pressing ‘Get started’ at the bottom of the page and following the provided instructions.
The activation process for a replacement Metro PCS device:
If you wish to activate a replacement phone, chances are that you already have a Metro PCS account, therefore you will need to do the activation either by phone or in-store. If you choose to do so by phone, you must dial 1-888-8-Metro8 (1-888-863-8768), choose activation, and follow the provided instructions. You will be asked to pick your plan and add any other features. During the process, you will also be able to transfer your number. The process should take no longer than 10 minutes. If you wish to leave it to the experts, you can also do the activation process in your local store.
When activating your replacement phone, you will probably want to transfer some items and information from your old phone, including contacts, apps, media, messages, and WhatsApp chats.
- Contacts: You can transfer your contacts by copying all the contacts on your SIM card before inserting it in your new phone, by uploading your contacts to your Google account and then signing in using the same account on your new phones, or by sharing all the contacts with the new phone via Bluetooth, Flash Share, Sender, or another applicable app.
- Apps: You can transfer apps with a sharing app or by signing into your Google or Apple account and downloading them.
- Media: You can share media via Bluetooth or another relevant app. You can also copy them on a memory card and insert the card into the new device.
- Messages and WhatsApp chats: Some apps will allow you to back up your chats and restore them on the new device.
Tricks to Help You Locate Your Metro PCS Phone If Lost Or Misplaced
There are several different tricks that may help you locate your lost, misplaced, or stolen Metro PCS device.
- There is the most straightforward one – simply retrace your steps: As simple as it sounds, many people find their missing belongings by simply retracing their steps.
- Use a phone tracker tool: You can locate your missing iPhone with the Find My iPhone app. To locate an Android phone you can download and install the Find My Phone app. Both apps will help you establish the exact location of your phone. In addition to these two apps, there are plenty of other tracker tools that you can use. Spying software may also allow you to access your emails, messages, and phone conversations.
- Use your phone’s IMEI number and report it to Metro PCS and the police: Your phone’s IMEI number is unique. If you report your phone missing to the police, they may use this number to find it. Also, make sure to report that your phone is missing to Metro PCS by contacting their customer support. They may deactivate your phone or help you in any other way they can.
- Use the Metro Total Protection Site: Go to the Metro Total Protection Site and open it. Enter your phone number and password and press on the ‘Sound Alarm’ option twice. You may also press the volume up and down buttons at the same time. If this doesn’t help, press on the ‘Locate Phone’ option twice and you will be redirected to maps, which should display the location of your device.
You can read one of our past articles T-Mobile Compatible Phone
Metro PCS Replacement Phone List
As we have mentioned before, the replacement phone you receive will be a new or reconditioned phone of the same model as your old one. If the same model isn’t available, you will receive a phone of the same kind and quality. As such the replacement phone you receive depends fully on which phone you have now or you have lost or damaged.
You can view the full list of devices and their applicable deductibles at fastclaim.com/metro. The deductible is payable by credit card, e-check, in select dealer store locations, or by Cash On Delivery (C.O.D.). A processing fee will be charged for deductible payments processed in select dealer stores ($5) or by C.O.D. ($15).
Read one of our past articles How To Replace T-Mobile Phone
What Is Metro PCS Phone Insurance And How To Get It?
Metro PCS offers great phone insurance called Premium Handset Protection.
This phone insurance includes two different options – Device Insurance by Assurant and McAfee Security.
Device insurance by Assurant protects your device from loss, theft, accidental damage, device malfunctions, and much more. They will replace any major parts if needed. In addition, they accept claims 24/7 and offer free next-day shipping.
McAfee Security, on the other hand, protects your device from online threats, viruses, data loss, and risky apps. They offer coverage for up to 10 devices, including smartphones, tablets, and computers.
You can get Premium Handset Protection for as low as $5 a month per device. Prices vary depending on the area and the device. The enrollment process is quick and simple, however, make sure to add the insurance within 7 days of purchasing a new device. You can enroll in your local store when you buy the device or you can do it online at metrobyt-mobile.com/protection.
For more information and Premium Handset Protection terms and conditions visit metrobyt-mobile.com/terms-conditions/premium-handset-protection-terms-and-conditions.html.
Does The Insurance Company Replace Metro PCS Phone If Lost, Broken, Or Damaged?
Premium Handset Protection replaces your Metro PCS phone in case it gets lost, stolen, damaged, or irretrievably broken. They accept claims 24 hours a day every day of the week at fastclaim.com/metro. Moreover, they offer free next-business-day shipping for claims approved before 8.30 pm EST.
How To Submit Metro PCS Phone Replacement Claim If Not Replaced By The Authority Or Insurance Company?
Metro PCS offers various different ways to submit a claim in case your mobile device got lost, stolen, damaged, or broken.
You can do so by phone at 1-800-316-2075, on Metro PCS’s official website, or directly at fastclaim.com/metro. Make sure to notify Metro PCS as soon as your device went missing or as soon as it got damaged/broken. You can also notify the authorities.
Can I Get Any New Services When I Replace Metro PCS Phone?
If you wish to upgrade your phone, you can change your plan, your subscription, and add any new services you wish. You may also be able to get some new services when replacing your phone, however, you will be required to pay any applicable additional fees.
In case you want to add new services when replacing your Metro PCS phone, make sure to contact the company’s customer service at 1 (888) 863-8768 and ask them about the options. It is best to do so at the same time while filing the claim.
How Will Premium Handset Protection (PHP) Help Me?
Metro PCS’s Premium Handset Protection (PHP) will protect your device against loss, theft, and damage after the manufacturer’s warranty period expires. The protection program offers a client to file a claim and get reconnected quickly. They will provide the customer with a replacement phone as soon as possible as they will ship it to the user’s address the next business day.
As of 1st July 2019 (except in NY, NJ, and CT), Metro PCS has a new protection provider, therefore, if you have lost or damaged the device before this date, you can file a T-Mobile phone claim. You will need to provide general information, incident details, device details, shipping address, and payment method.
Does Metro PCS really replace a lost phone?
Yes, Metro PCS does replace a lost, stolen, damaged, or broken mobile device. You can learn more details in the ‘How to Replace a Metro PCS Phone’ section above.
Can I find my friend’s lost Metro PCS phone using my Metro PCS phone?
Yes, if you are planning to use a phone tracker tool to locate your friend’s lost Metro PCS phone, you will need another mobile device. Nowadays, there are many tracker tools to be found online, however, the most popular tracker app for iPhones is Find My iPhone and the most popular Android tracker is Find My Phone.
How long does it take to replace a Metro PCS phone?
Premium Handset Protection program offers free next-business-day shipping for claims approved before 8.30 pm EST.
How to cancel Metro PCS service if I lost my phone?
You can cancel your Metro PCS service if your phone got stolen or lost by calling customer service at 1-888-8Metro8 and request to have the phone disconnected. Read more in the ‘How do I Permanently Deactivate Metro PCS Lost or Stolen Phone?’ section above.
Can I use my old Metro PCS SIM in a new Metro PCS replacement phone?
If you still have your old Metro PCS SIM card (which is unlikely, as customers tend to lose both the phone and the card at the same time), you can use the old SIM card in your replacement phone. However, you may consider exchanging it for a more recent version with newer SIM card technology.
Can I Change My Metro PCS Phone Number when I replace my phone?
You should be able to change your Metro PCS phone number during the activation process of the replacement device. However, it’s best to ask about your phone number change/transfer options as soon as you contact their customer service to tell them about the incident and file a claim.