When Can I Upgrade My MetroPCS Phone?
Metro by T-Mobile or formerly known as MetroPCS is an American prepaid wireless service provider and brand owned by T-Mobile US. The company offers numerous great benefits for its customers including affordable prepaid phone plans, high-quality mobile devices from the most reputable brands, and frequent special deals.
MetroPCS also offers a simple phone upgrade process for both new and existing customers. Once you buy a MetroPCS phone, you automatically qualify for promotional phone upgrades. However, you can only get a MetroPCS phone upgrade if and when you meet the upgrade eligibility criteria. One of the upgrade eligibility requirements is that you are a current customer for at least 90 days before you can upgrade your phone. As such, you can upgrade your phone every 90 days or 4 times a year.
How Do MetroPCS Phone Upgrades Work?
MetroPCS phone upgrades work by the company providing customers with promotional discounts on mobile devices every 3 months. As these promotional discounts vary, make sure to continuously check the available discounted upgrade prices. This way you will find the most affordable and suitable device for you and ensure a smooth upgrade process.
Currently, MetroPCS or Metro by T-Mobile offers a promotional discount of up to $150 on select phones. After you purchase your first MetroPCS phone, you will automatically qualify for an upgrade every 3 months. Therefore, purchasing a MetroPCS phone and becoming a customer is all you have to do to receive a MetroPCS phone upgrade.
What is the MetroPCS Phone Upgrade Eligibility Policy?
In order to qualify for a MetroPCS phone upgrade, you must purchase a Metro phone and meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are required to pay a $25 phone activation fee and $10 to purchase a SIM card.
- You must be a MetroPCS customer for at least 3 months and have your original Metro device for at least 3 months in order to request the upgrade.
- If you wish to upgrade the device through the company’s Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program, you must have a smartphone that is compatible with Metro (unlocked and GSM technology-compatible) and has been purchased at Metro’s online shop or retail store.
- At the time you request the upgrade, you must have an active Metro account.
You can also purchase an upgraded phone before the end of the 90-day period, however, if you choose to do so, you will have to pay the regular price.
How to Upgrade My MetroPCS Phone?
There are three ways to upgrade your MetroPCS phone:
You can get a MetroPCS phone upgrade online. If you are a new customer, you can do so by following these simple steps:
- Visit the provider’s official website at metrobyt-mobile.com.
- Sign up for Metro’s services. First, create an account. To do so, follow the on-screen instruction. The process will only take about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Choose a plan. Once you have created your Metro account, you should log into it by using your phone number and password. You can log in at metrobyt-mobile.com/my-account/sign-in. Then, select a plan that best fits your needs. You can choose from family plans and individual plans.
- Choose a device. You can either select the option to bring your own phone (BYOP), which requires you to have an unlocked, compatible GSM-enabled device, or to purchase a new one (online or in-store). If you decide to purchase a device online, you can simply choose one from the company’s large selection of phones and add it to your cart. After the purchase, you will be required to pay a $25 activation fee and your phone will automatically qualify to receive an upgrade every 3 months.
If you are an existing customer, you can upgrade your phone online by logging into your account and choosing the ‘upgrade device’ option, and following the prompts. In addition, you can also chat with the company’s customer support service and ask them to help you upgrade your device.
You can get a MetroPCS phone upgrade in-store. Both new and existing customers can visit a store and ask the agent to help them upgrade their device. You can find a MetroPCS store near you at metrobyt-mobile.com/storelocator.
You can receive a MetroPCS phone upgrade by contacting the company’s customer support service. Both new and existing customers can contact the company’s customer service and ask the representative to walk them through the phone upgrade process. Contact the company online at metrobyt-mobile.com/contact-us or by phone at 888-8-METRO-8 or *611 from your Metro phone.
How Much Does it Cost to Upgrade a Phone to MetroPCS?
MetroPCS upgrade phones come at different prices. If you receive a promotional upgrade discount of $150, it simply means that this sum will be deducted from the phone’s price. In addition, you will have to pay an upgrade fee of $25.
If you need information How to Get MetroPCS Affordable Connectivity Program
What are the Benefits of Upgrading MetroPCS Phones?
By upgrading your MetroPCS phone, you will enjoy numerous benefits, including:
- You will receive fast and reliable services, including high-speed internet connection, fast message delivery, and clear and consistent calls.
- You will receive access to T-Mobile’s reliable 5G network.
- You will stay up-to-date with your phone and thus avoid future inconveniences as a result of fast-paced technology development.
- More advanced upgraded phones allow you to connect your device with other smart devices in your home, including home security systems, which can be monitored at home and from a distance.
- At Metro, you can receive more advanced phones regularly and at a discounted price.
On the flip side, once you upgrade your Metro phone, you are no longer eligible for trade-in credits for a discount.
Does MetroPCS Offer Any Upgrade Deals for Their Existing Customers
Since the merging of T-Mobile and MetroPCS, Metro’s existing customers’ phones were not compatible with T-Mobile’s network and services and thus unable to operate under the new brand. As such, it became necessary for existing customers to receive an affordable upgrade deal.
Since then, existing Metro customers can receive a $150 discount on upgraded phones every 3 months – up to 4 times a year. These upgrade deals are available online, in-store, and through the company’s customer service.
Does MetroPCS Offer Any Upgrade Deals for Their New Customers
New customers can benefit from frequent Metro deals on cell phones and other devices. The deals tend to change and update regularly, therefore, you can see the current Metro phone deals at metrobyt-mobile.com/shop/deals.
Do I Need to Activate MetroPCS Phone After Upgrade? How Do I Activate it if Needed?
After getting a MetroPCS phone upgrade, you will have to activate the device.
New customers are unable to activate the phone by using the online activation tool. Instead, they must visit a Metro store or call the company’s customer service.
Existing customers, on the other hand, can activate their upgraded phones online. To do so, follow these simple steps:
- Visit metrobyt-mobile.com/self-service/activate.
- If you purchased your phone directly from the company’s website, simply provide your order number and ZIP code so that the system can find your order and activate the device.
- If, on the other hand, you have purchased your phone from another retailer, make sure to prepare your phone and SIM card, pick your plan, and provide the required information.
- Select where and how you have purchased your phone by pressing ‘Activate your phone’ under the correct column. Then, follow the on-screen prompts to activate your phone.
Do I Need to Upgrade My MetroPCS Plan After Upgrading the Metro Phone?
If you are an existing Metro customer that already has a Metro plan, you won’t be required to upgrade it every time you decide to upgrade your phone.
If, however, you are a new Metro customer, you will be required to select your Metro plan.
Metro has a wide selection of very affordable prepaid plans that don’t require you to sign any contracts. MetroPCS offers two kinds of plans: individual and family plans.
Individual plans include caller ID, voicemail, hotspot tethering, Wi-Fi calling on select phones, 2 GB of data, and unlimited talk and text. Metro individual plans are:
- $30 plan with 5GB of high-speed data and access to T-Mobile’s 5G network, which is free of charge for Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) subscribers.
- $40 a month unlimited plan ($10 for ACP subscribers) comes with unlimited text, talk, and high-speed data and access to T-Mobile’s 5G network.
- $50 a month unlimited plan ($20 for ACP subscribers) comes with unlimited text, talk, and high-speed data, access to T-Mobile’s 5G network, 5 GB of hotspot data, and the 100 GB Google One membership.
- $60 a month unlimited plan ($30 for ACP subscribers) comes with unlimited text, talk, and high-speed data, access to T-Mobile’s 5G network, 1 GB of hotspot data, the 100 GB Google One membership, and Amazon Prime membership.
Family plans come with similar benefits, yet at other prices.
- Purchase the $40 a month unlimited plan with 4 lines for only $100 when you switch. This offer is in-store only.
- At the $50 a month unlimited plan, you can save $20 by adding each additional line. This offer is in-store only.
- Get the $60 a month unlimited plan with 4 lines for only $120. This offer is in-store only.
Do I Need to Upgrade My MetroPCS SIM Card After Upgrading to Metro Phone?
Generally, there is no need to upgrade your MetroPCS SIM card after upgrading your Metro phone. If the SIM card fits and if it is not damaged, you can simply turn off your old phone, eject the SIM card, turn off the new phone, and place the card into the new device’s SIM card slot. Then, you can turn on the new device and use it. If you have never used this new device on Metro before, you may also need to activate it.
However, in case your new phone has a SIM card slot in which your old Metro SIM card does not fit, you will have to order a new one, which will fit your phone.
In addition, if your Metro SIM card was damaged, broken, lost, or stolen, you will also be required to purchase a new one.
Which Phones are Available if I Qualify for MetroPCS Phone Upgrade?
You can get a MetroPCS phone upgrade by purchasing a new phone, which is possible every 3 months with a discount, or by bringing your own more advanced device to Metro.
If you are planning to purchase a MetroPCS phone upgrade directly from Metro, you will have the possibility to select your new device among some of the best phone brands in the world, including:
Samsung devices are some of the most popular and high-quality ones in the world. They offer ample internal storage space, a user-friendly interface, great cameras, and much more.
Apple is a renowned, reliable, and also a rather expensive phone provider. Users like iPhones for many reasons, including their incorporated eco-system, great performance, user-friendly interface, quality camera, etc.
Motorola phones are durable and reliable. They offer numerous great features, including quality cameras, ample storage space, fast processing speeds, etc.
This may be a lesser-known brand, however, its phones are of great quality. The devices come with reliable processors, great performance, a user-friendly interface, high-quality cameras, and more.
Other MetroPCS phone upgrades include brands such as LG, Huawei, Razor, and more.
All Metro phones must accept GSM technology, which is especially important if you are planning to bring your own phone. If so, the device must be unlocked and Metro-compatible. Some of the Metro-compatible phones include:
- Alcatel Fierce 4
- Apple iPhone 11 Pro
- LG K30
- LG K51
- LG Stylo 5
- Moto G Stylus
- Moto G7
- Samsung A6 Galaxy
- Samsung Galaxy A20
- Samsung galaxy note 10+
- Samsung Galaxy S10
- Samsung Galaxy S20
- Samsung J7 Prime
- ZTE Cymbal
MetroPCS Phones Upgrade Related FAQs
What Carriers Are Compatible With MetroPCS Phones?
All carriers that offer GSM-enabled phones should be compatible with Metro phones.
Is There Any Fee for Activating a MetroPCS Phone?
Yes, to activate your upgrade phone, you will be charged a $25 activation fee.
How Long Does It Take to Upgrade a MetroPCS Phone?
The MetroPCS phone upgrade process is quick and simple. The duration mostly depends on whether you buy the device at Metro or a retail store. If you purchase the phone online, the process is fast – there is one-day shipping and then, you can activate the device via the company’s website. If you wish to receive paper documentation, you will have to wait for a day.
Does Metro by T-Mobile Give Free Phones With Activation?
Yes, at Metro, you can get free phones as a new and existing customer, both for your first phone and any upgrade device you may wish to purchase (depending on the phone’s price). You can see current Metro deals at metrobyt-mobile.com/shop/deals.
Is MetroPCS and T Mobile the Same?
No, Metro PCS or Metro by T-Mobile is a mobile virtual network operator owned by T-Mobile USA.
Can I Use a T-Mobile Phone With MetroPCS Service?
Yes, as Metro uses T-Mobile’s network anyway, you can definitely use a T-Mobile phone with Metro’s services.
Who is Eligible to Trade in a MetroPCS Device?
Both new and existing Metro customers with a qualifying transaction are eligible to trade in a device. Qualifying transactions include new activations, added lines, or upgrades with a device purchase.
What Happens if You Lose Your MetroPCS Phone?
If you lose your Metro phone, make sure to contact the company’s customer service as soon as possible and ask them to suspend your service, as all additional charges are your responsibility.
Can I Put My MetroPCS SIM Card into Another Phone?
Yes. Metro offers a BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) program, which allows customers to use their own phones with Metro SIM cards and services. However, the phone must be unlocked, GSM-enabled, and compatible with Metro’s services. To check your phone’s compatibility with Metro, visit metrobyt-mobile.com/cell-phone/metro-by-t-mobile-sim-card and enter your phone’s IMEI number in the provided box. The system will immediately let you know whether or not your phone is Metro-compatible.
You can read one of our past articles How Do I Switch MetroPCS Phone Service To Another Phone