Metro by T-Mobile, formerly known as MetroPCS is a wireless provider owned by T-Mobile that offers a large selection of versatile cell phone, device data, and home internet plans, cell phones, tablets, and other mobile devices and accessories, access to T-Mobile’s nationwide network, frequent deals on devices, reliable services, and much more.
In this article, we will take a closer look at how to activate a MetroPCS new phone with an old SIM card and if it’s possible to do so in the first place.
What Do I Need Before Activating My New MetroPCS Phone?
Before you can activate your new Metro phone with an old SIM card, you must first become a Metro customer. Subscribing to s wireless provider’s services is not a decision that should be taken lightly. Before committing, make sure to check the company’s network coverage in your area at metrobyt-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map, your phone’s compatibility with Metro (if you are planning to bring your own device) at metrobyt-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone, the carrier’s plans, phones, and other offers to make sure Metro is the right fit for you.
After becoming a Metro customer, you will need the following to activate your new Metro phone with an old SIM card:
- A new Metro phone (it can be a device that you have purchased directly from Metro or a Metro-compatible device that you have decided to bring to Metro).
- A valid Metro SIM card
- Certain information that you will be required to provide during the activation process, such as your phone’s ID number, phone number, email address, etc.
Before or during the activation process you will also be required to choose a rate plan for your first month of service.
Can I Activate a New MetroPCS Phone With an Old SIM Card?
So, is it even possible to activate a new MetroPCS phone with an old SIM card? Sure it is! However, there are certain conditions and requirements.
- First of all, you must be an active Metro customer. You cannot activate your device without having a Metro account.
- Secondly, the ‘old’ SIM card must be valid and in good working condition, and it must fit your new phone’s SIM slot perfectly. If your SIM card does not meet these requirements, you will be required to buy a new one.
- Lastly, you must have a phone that was either purchased directly from Metro or a compatible device that was purchased from another provider.
If you meet all of the requirements above, you can begin your activation process in the next section.
MetroPCS Process to Activate a New Phone With an Old SIM Card
There are several ways to activate a new Metro phone with an old SIM card, depending on where you purchased the device and other factors.
MetroPCS Activate New Phone With Old SIM Card for New Customers
If you purchased your phone or SIM card from Metro’s official website:
- Contact Metro’s customer service and help the representative find your order. To do so, you will have to provide your order number and ZIP code.
- Visit metrobyt-mobile.com/self-service/activate and press ‘Activate your phone’ in the right column.
If you purchased your Metro phone or SIM card from another retailer:
- Prepare your phone and SIM card ad locate your phone’s ID (IMEI) number. You can do so by dialing *#06#, in your phone’s settings, or on the label under the battery.
- Pick your Metro monthly plan at metrobyt-mobile.com/#plans and pay for the first month of service.
- Prepare the information you will need to provide during the activation process, such as your name, contact information, and an email address that is not associated with another Metro account.
- Visit metrobyt-mobile.com/self-service/activate and press ‘Activate your phone’ at the bottom of the left column.
MetroPCS Activate New Phone With Old SIM Card for Existing Customers
If you are an existing customer, you can visit a Metro store:
You can find a physical Metro store in your area if you visit metrobyt-mobile.com/storelocator. Simply search for a store on the map or enter your address or ZIP code in the provided search box and the system will show you the location of all the Metro stores near you.
When you visit the store, make sure to take your Metro phone, SIM cards, and all of the required data with you and ask a representative to help you with the activation process.
Or you can contact Metro’s customer support service by phone:
Call Metro’s customer support service at 1-888-8-METRO8 (1-888-863-8768). Request to speak to a representative and ask to help you activate your phone. Again, you will need your phone, SIM card, and information, therefore, make sure to have everything ready.
If your Metro SIM card has already been activated with another device in the past, you can also try activating it with a new phone (a replacement or upgrade phone, for example) by simply inserting your Metro SIM card into your new Metro phone, turning on the network, and trying to place a call or use the data. You may be able to use your Metro services on the first try, without having to follow an activation process. If your data is slow, you may have to change your APN settings.
How to Activate a New BYOP Metro Phone With an Old SIM Card?
In case you didn’t buy an original Metro device but decide to bring your own device instead, you must first make sure the phone is compatible with Metro’s services. Only so will you be able to activate it.
The phone you bring must be carrier-unlocked. In case it isn’t, make sure to contact the provider that sold you the device and ask them to unlock the device remotely. The company will check your phone’s eligibility and if the device is eligible to be unlocked, they will unlock it for you in a matter of minutes.
The phone must also be compatible with Metro’s services. As Metro uses T-Mobile’s GSM network, all of T-Mobile’s phones as well as other GSM devices should be compatible with Metro. The only way to be really sure that your phone qualifies is by visiting metrobyt-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone and checking the compatibility at metrobyt-mobile.com/cell-phone/metro-by-t-mobile-sim-card. You can also buy a SIM kit here, which you will definitely need to activate your phone with Metro.
Once you have checked your phone’s compatibility, you can activate the device using any of the methods listed above.
What If I Wasn’t Able to Activate My New MetroPCS Phone With an Old SIM Card?
Once the application process is complete, it’s time to make sure the activation process was successful. To do so, simply try to place a call or use your monthly data. If you are able to do so, you’re in!
If you have tried to activate your new phone with your old Metro SIM card by following the instructions above and you were unsuccessful, don’t worry! Virtually any issue has a solution! In this case, simply contact Metro’s customer support service and explain the situation. The trained agent will surely be able to help you out!
You can contact Metro by phone at 888-8-METRO-8, via mail at T‑Mobile Customer Relations, P.O. Box 37380, Albuquerque, NM 87176-7380, through your Metro app, or by visiting a Metro store.
What Benefits Can I Enjoy After Activating My Metro Phone?
After you have successfully activated your Metro account, you will be able to enjoy many of the benefits that are offered by Metro.
- You will be able to choose any of Metro’s great plans and even get a $30 a month discount on any one of the company’s plans if you qualify for the Metro ACP government assistance benefit.
- You will be able to take advantage of the company’s frequent and generous deals on devices.
- You will be able to enjoy Metro’s nationwide network.
- You will be able to enjoy other reliable Metro services and even contact the company’s responsive customer care if you have issues.
MetroPCS Activation Related FAQs
What Kinds of New Devices Are We Talking About?
We keep mentioning ‘a new Metro phone’. But what exactly does that mean? Well, it can be a new mobile device purchased directly from Metro or a Metro-compatible device purchased elsewhere. If you are already a Metro customer you may have a new phone, if you needed a replacement or if you recently upgraded your old phone.
How Long Does the MetroPCS Activation Process Take?
Your phone should activate immediately after finishing the activation process.
Do I Need to Activate a Metro Replacement or Upgrade Phone?
No, if you have a replacement phone or an upgrade phone, you probably won’t need to do the activation process. Inserting your Metro SIM into the new device should suffice.
Can I Activate a Metro Tablet?
Yes. To do so visit a Metro store or contact the company’s customer support service.
How to Order a New Metro SIM Card if Needed?
You can purchase a new Metro SIM card in any Metro store or online.