Why Should You Want to Activate Mint Mobile?
Mint Mobile is an American telecommunications company, known for offering inexpensive mobile phone services, unlimited prepaid no-contract plans with unlimited texting and calling, unlimited 2G data speeds once higher speed data is consumed, mobile hotspot, Wi-Fi calling, HD voice/VoLTE calling, international calls to Canada and Mexico, spam filters, high-quality mobile devices, user-friendly online-only presence, seven-day money-back guarantee for their plans, and much more. In addition, Mint Mobile works as an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) and operates on T-Mobile’s cellular network, therefore it provides huge nationwide coverage and access to the country’s largest 5G network.
As Mint Mobile has great customer reviews and has become one of the most popular MVNOs in the country, it’s only natural that you wish to become a new customer and enjoy some of the company’s many benefits. If this is the case and you wish to know more about Mint Mobile SIM card activation, then you have come to the right place.
What Should Think Before Starting Mint Mobile Activation
As Mint Mobile offers a unique prepaid feature that allows customers to pay for service 3, 6, or 12 months in advance, instead of paying monthly, it’s best to consider some important factors before starting your activation.
1. Check compatibility
If you are planning to sign up for Mint Mobile services and bring your own phone, you first have to make sure your old device is both unlocked and compatible with Mint Mobile service.
Locked phones are tied to a certain carrier’s network and are unable to work with other providers. As such, one of the basic conditions for you to bring your phone to Mint Mobile is that the device is unlocked and uses GSM technology. If it is not, you can contact your previous carrier and ask them to unlock your device. Note that they will only be able to unlock the devices that have been paid off in full.
Then there is the service compatibility issue, which isn’t an actual issue at all. To check your phone compatibility, you can simply visit Mint Mobile’s official BYOP website (mintmobile.com) and either check by brand and model or enter your phone’s IMEI number. They will tell if your device is compatible in a matter of seconds.
2. Compare Mint Mobile plans
The second thing to consider is the plans. All of Mint Mobile’s plans include unlimited talk and text, high-speed data, free calls to Canada and Mexico, free mobile hotspot, Wi-Fi calling and texting, and a free 3-in-1 SIM card.
Mint Mobile currently offers 4 plans:
- The 4 GB a month plan comes with unlimited talk, text, nationwide coverage, 4 GB of 5G or 4G LTE data, and costs $15 a month.
- The 10 GB a month plan comes with unlimited talk, text, nationwide coverage, 10 GB of 5G or 4G LTE data, and costs $20 a month.
- The 15 GB a month plan comes with unlimited talk, text, nationwide coverage, 15 GB of 5G or 4G LTE data, and costs $25 a month.
- The Unlimited Plan comes with unlimited talk, text, and 5G or 4G LTE data, nationwide coverage, and costs $30 a month.
If you are not convinced if Mint Mobile is the right option for you, you can simply try their 7-day trial plan. This starter plan offers 7 days of service with 250 minutes of talk, 250 text messages, and 250 MB of 5G or 4G LT data and costs $5.
3. Check coverage
As we have established before, Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile’s network, therefore it offers excellent nationwide coverage. Their 4G LTE network connects 99% of Americans and their 5G network, which reaches over 80% of the population is the largest in the country. However, due to the uneven distribution of the towers, the coverage is better in some places than others. To determine whether or not there is good coverage in your area, check out their coverage map at mintmobile.com. Keep in mind that some outside factors, such as terrain, building structures, weather, and other conditions may interfere with the service available.
4. Check everything else
It might be a good idea to read customer reviews, check out Mint Mobile’s terms and conditions, return policy, and guarantees. If you are planning to buy a mobile device at Mint Mobile, you should also check out their devices. They have a wide selection of cell phones, but in case they don’t have the one you are looking for, you can still bring your own phone, which you bought at another retailer.
Once you have checked all of the important considerations listed above, you can ask yourself – is Mint Mobile right for you?
If you need information Verizon New SIM Card read one of our past article How To Activate Verizon New SIM Card
How to Activate a Mint Mobile
Now you are probably really eager to join the happy Mint Mobile family. So, let’s take a look at how it all works and how to activate your Mint Mobile SIM card.
- The first step is to choose a plan. You can review the plans in the previous chapter.
- The second step is to either buy a Mint Mobile phone or to bring your own device. If you decide to bring your own device, make sure it is unlocked and compatible.
- Then, get a SIM card and insert it into the device you are planning to use.
- And lastly, activate your Mint Mobile service.
Now, let’s check out the Mint Mobile activation process. The process is easy and it takes less than 15 minutes. Simply follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Order your Mint Mobile SIM card starter kit and once you get it, insert the SIM card into your phone using the right size.
- Step 2: Go to your computer and visit Mint Mobile’s official activation site at my.mintmobile.com.
- Step 3: Enter the 11-digit activation code, which is located on the back of your SIM holder card – at the top right corner. This will initiate the Mint Mobile activation. The on-screen instructions will guide you through the process.
- Step 4: During the process, you will have the option to either change your number or to stick to your old one. Choose the option you prefer. However, make an informed decision. While you can still change your number in a matter of seconds even after the activation process is finished, this is the only chance to keep your old number. If you decide to keep your current number, you will be asked to enter some information from your previous carrier – your password or PIN, ZIP code, and account number.
- Step 5: You will also have to enter your billing information to receive the package you have selected and your bank account information to pay for your service. With this step, you will have successfully created your Mint Mobile account and you will be able to move on to your phone.
- Step 6: Now, you may need to change the APN settings on your phone. As the configuration steps vary between devices, make sure to Google the process for your phone. This step will ensure that the device will function properly.
- Step 7: Restart your phone.
- Step 8: That’s it! You are now using Mint Mobile services. When the activation process is complete, Mint Mobile will send you a welcome text and email to confirm your phone number and service. Make sure to check the data speed and test the voice quality. Afterward, feel free to cancel your old carrier service.
Another option is to download their Mint Mobile app, which will guide you through the same process. In addition, the app will also allow you to check if your device is compatible with Mint Mobile and if you have coverage in your area. The app is available on both iOS and Android.
Read one of our past articles How To Activate A Tracfone
How to Activate/Install Your Mint Mobile SIM Card
Now, let’s take a closer look at the Mint Mobile SIM card activation and installation process. While in the previous chapter this part was mostly covered in step 1, in this chapter, we will get a bit more specific.
- Step 1: Buy a $5 Mint Mobile starter kit. You can do so online or at one of the retailers – Walmart, Target, Best Buy, or Amazon. The kit will be shipped to your selected address.
If you buy your first prepaid data plan, you will automatically receive a welcome package with a Mint Mobile SIM card free of charge.
- Step 2: Open the Mint Mobile kit and find some instructions and your new Mint Mobile SIM card.
- Step 3: As you will see, the SIM card comes in three sizes so that it can fit into various mobile devices. The sizes are standard, micro, and Nano (the smallest size). Choose the SIM card size that fits your phone.
- Step 4: Install your Mint Mobile Sim card. Use the SIM ejector tool located in your starter kit to pop out the phone’s SIM tray. Remove your old SIM card and insert the new one instead. Reset your phone. Note that the Mint Mobile SIM card will only work on a Mint Mobile device or a compatible unlocked phone.
- Step 5: Visit either Mint Mobile’s official activation website or their app and type in the 11-digit activation code that is located on the back of your SIM holder card (the credit card-sized card the SIM card came in.
- Step 6: Follow the steps in the previous chapter. Fill in the required information, change your APN settings, and restart your phone.
Note that the Mint Mobile SIM card activation process may take up to 24 hours, so be patient.
Additionally, keep in mind, that Mint Mobile requires users to activate the SIM card within 45 days of purchase. If you don’t activate your card on time, you can still try to activate it with Mint Mobile’s official app or with a third-party app, such as JIK. You can also try activating the card with a 20-digit ACT code. If none of it works, you can contact customer support and ask for an extension. They may either grant you one or ask you to swap the card.
In case you also need information MetroPCS SIM Card Activation
What Plan Features Are Supported By Mint Mobile
Mint Mobile offers several great and user-friendly features, which makes them one of the most popular mobile service providers. All of their plans come with these included features:
- Unlimited calling
- Unlimited texting
- A certain amount of high-speed data
- Unlimited 2G data when the high-speed data runs out
- Free mobile hotspot or tethering
- Wi-Fi calling
- HD Voice/VoLTE calling
- International calls to Canada and Mexico
- Spam filters for text messages
- Mint Mobile app to manage your account
- A seven-day money-back guarantee
- Plan recommendations according to your data usage
You can read one of our past articles Safelink SIM Card
Do I Need Mint Mobile SIM Card Activation After Replacing a SIM Card?
Yes, regardless of whether you bought your first Mint Mobile SIM card or whether you just got a replacement SIM card, you have to activate it either way. You can do so on their official activation site at my.mintmobile.com. Simply type in your 11-character ACT code and press ‘Start or Resume your Activation’. In the unlikely event that the activation takes longer than usual, contact Mint Mobile’s customer support service. They are very professional and responsive and will be able to help you in no time.
Do you want to learn more about Straight Talk SIM Card And Kit
How long does it take to Mint Mobile activation?
According to Mint Mobile’s official website, the activation and phone number transfer can take up to 24 hours, but most numbers get activated within 8 hours. Some reviewers say it took them only a few minutes.
Can I get a free SIM card from Mint Mobile?
Yes, you can get a free SIM card from Mint Mobile. When you buy your first prepaid data plan, you will automatically receive a welcome package that will contain a SIM card free of charge.
Is Mint Mobile SIM card CDMA or GSM?
Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile’s network, therefore it only works with GSM technology. As such, Mint Mobile’s SIM card will only work with unlocked GSM phones.
Does Mint Mobile SIM Card Support 5G?
Not only does Mint Mobile’s SIM card support 5G, but all their plans include 5G data. Moreover, Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile’s network, which is the largest 5G network in the country.
Can I Use My Mint Mobile SIM Card with Another New Phone?
Of course, you can! With their Bring Your Own Phone program, you can easily bring any mobile device to Mint Mobile – at least as long as it’s unlocked, and GSM network-based. If your device is locked, simply ask your current carrier to unlock it. To be sure, you can check at mintmobile.com.