How Does PCs for People EBB Program Work?
PCs for People is a non-profit organization and a national leader in digital inclusion. The organization is focused on providing low-income families and individuals with low-cost computers and affordable broadband internet services. They recycle business electronics and provide refurbished devices to low-income households.
Not only does PCs for People enable people in need to have access to education, employment opportunities, healthcare, and other services, but the organization also contributes to environmental sustainability by refurbishing usable computers, which would otherwise reach the landfills.
PCs for People is also a proud provider of the Emergency Broadband Benefit program.
Emergency Broadband Benefit or EBB is a government assistance program by the FCC designed to help families and individuals who are struggling to afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic. It helps connect eligible households to virtual classrooms, job opportunities, healthcare services, and other emergency services.
The EBB provides a discount of up to $50 a month towards broadband service for eligible households (up to $75 a month for eligible households on qualifying Tribal lands). Eligible households may also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to buy a desktop computer, laptop, or tablet from an EBB participating provider by contributing more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price. All EBB providers offer a monthly service discount, but only some of them also offer a one-time device discount.
The EBB benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household. As the EBB program was developed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is only temporary. It will end once the funds are exhausted or six months after the end of the pandemic has been declared by the Department of Health and Human Services.
PCs for People is one of the EBB providers, therefore, as of May 12, 2021, eligible households can enroll in the program and receive a monthly service discount, as well as a one-time discount of up to $100 off selected computers.
How to Qualify for The PCs for People EBB Program?
To participate in the PCs for People EBB program, you must be EBB-eligible. While the FCC asks people to apply for EBB directly through the federal government, PCs for People has been approved to use their existing eligibility verification process to qualify people for the EBB. Only people who meet PCs for People eligibility requirements can apply to receive the benefits.
PCs for People Eligibility Requirements:
You may qualify for PCs for People EBB program if you currently participate in another government assistance program, such as Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, SSD, or others. You may also qualify if you (or any of your family members) have received approval for benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program or a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year.
You may qualify for PCs for People EBB program if your household income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
What Are the Documents Required to Apply for PCs for People EBB?
To apply for the PCs for People EBB program, you will be required to provide a photo identification document and an official document that proves your participation in a government assistance program or your income (depending on your eligibility criteria).
Acceptable Photo Identification Documents:
- Driver’s license or state ID card for non-drivers
- Formal ID card (such as veteran or student)
- Company or work-issued identification
Acceptable Documents that Prove Participation in Qualifying Income-Based Assistance Programs:
Documents that prove your participation in the following programs. Note: The document must be dated within the last year and/or show current coverage at the date of submission.
- Adult & Child Mental Health Case Management
- Employment Services (only if income-based in your state)
- Extended Foster Care
- Federal Pell Grant
- Financial Assistance, such as GA, TANF, etc. (a dated letter showing current eligibility is required)
- Food Support (a dated letter showing current eligibility is required)
- Head Start
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Medicaid or Medical Assistance (bring a document that says ‘MA’ or ‘Medical Assistance’ on it)
- Section 8, Federal Public Housing Assistance, or Group Residential Housing (GRH)
- Social Security Disability (SSD)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- The National School Lunch Program’s Free or Reduced Lunch Program
Acceptable Income Documentation:
The following documents are acceptable for households that qualify under the net income test (200% of the Federal Poverty Level).
- A retirement/pension statement of benefits
- A Social Security statement of benefits
- A Veteran Administration statement of benefits (VA cards alone are not accepted)
- An Unemployment/Workmen’s Compensation statement of benefits
- Federal or tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- The prior year’s state, federal, or tribal tax return (W2 forms or pay stubs are not acceptable)
How to Send the Documentation:
There are three ways to send your eligibility documentation:
- Send in as an attachment during the online application process
- Via email at i[email protected]
- Via fax at 651-666-1045
Note: PCs for People won’t accept the following documents:
- Bank statements with deposit records
- EBT app screenshots
- Hand-written documents
- Notices to reapply for a benefit
- Tax returns where the applicant is claimed as a dependent
- W-2 forms or Pay Stubs
Make sure to only send copies of the documents instead of the original ones.
How Do I Apply PCs for People EBB?
Applying for the PCs for People EBB program is simple. All you need to do is to follow the procedure described below.
- Step 1: Check your eligibility. To make sure you are in fact eligible for the PCs for People EBB program, check out the eligibility requirements and required documents listed in the previous two sections of this article or at pcsforpeople.org/eligibility. If you qualify, you may proceed to the next step.
- Step 2: Apply for the PCs for People EBB program online. Go to ebb.pcsrefurbished.com/ebb and fill out the online application. The online application consists of 4 parts: Overview/Terms, Login/PCs for People Account Creation, NLAD Verification, and Confirmation. During the application process, you will be required to provide some personal information, as well as certain documents proving your eligibility. The information you provide will go through a federal database that checks to see if you are already receiving the EBB benefit with another provider. Once you have created your account and provided all the required information and documentation, you can place your order.
- Step 3: Enjoy your PCs for People EBB benefit. Once your application has been reviewed (it may take a couple of days), you will be notified if you have been approved. Once approved, you will be able to enjoy your benefits.
What Are the Benefits of the PCs for People EBB?
In comparison to many EBB providers who only offer a discount on monthly internet service, Pcs for People also offers a one-time discount on computers. See the full list of benefits below.
- A monthly service discount of up to $50 for eligible households (up to $75 a month for eligible households on Tribal lands) toward broadband internet service and associated equipment (hotspots or modems).
- A one-time device discount of up to $100 off select computers (depending on availability) when purchasing internet from PCs for People.
As a result of the service and device discounts, people in need will be able to stay in touch with their loved ones, virtual classrooms, work, job opportunities, health and other emergency services, and more.
Does PCs for People Offer Free Tablet or Laptop?
PCs for People offers free desktop computers and laptops to eligible people in need. As a part of their EBB program, the organization offers a one-time device discount of up to $100 if purchased at the same time as a new or renewed internet subscription.
The desktop computer or laptop that an eligible customer may get will be refurbished. The exact brand and model depend on availability. In addition, the offer stands as long as supplies last.
While PCs for People offers free or discounted refurbished desktop computers and laptops, it does not offer free tablets for eligible customers.
In case you also need information Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet
What Are The Available Computer Discounts?
As long as supplies last, PCs for People will be offering laptop and desktop packages that are suitable for remote work or school.
All the computers PCs for People offers are refurbished.
The usual computer brands at PCs for People include HP, Dell, and Lenovo.
The computers come with Windows 10 operating systems. In addition, some computers even come with MS Office Home and Student 2019.
Laptops come with an AC adaptor, while desktop computers come with a monitor, keyboard, mouse, wireless adaptor, as well as any other necessary audio or video accessories.
Prices for these computers (after the EBB discount is applied) range from $11 and $49.99.
As mentioned before, the computer you can expect to receive from PCs from People depends on availability. However, you can see which computers are currently available at ebb.pcsrefurbished.com/sales/salesHome.aspx.
Read one of our past articles Free Tablet With Food Stamps
What Are The Limitations of The PCs for People EBB Program?
Like all EBB programs by other providers, the PCs for People EBB program also comes with certain limitations and restrictions, which each eligible customer must respect, including the following:
- Subscribers must visit ebb.pcsrefurbished.com/ebb each month to use the EBB discount again to cover the internet bill. In case a subscriber chooses to pay for multiple months at once, he or she would have to wait until their subscription ends to sign up.
- The EBB benefit is non-transferable.
- The EBB benefit is limited to one program-wide discount per household.
- The EBB program is temporary and it will end when the government fund runs out, or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the COVID-19 pandemic, whichever comes sooner.
- When the temporary EBB program is over, customers will have the option to choose whether or not they wish to continue their subscription at PCs for People’s usual rates.
About PCs for People EBB What Others You Should Know
If I Am Enrolled With Another Internet Service Provider for Monthly Internet, Can I Get an EBB -discounted Computer From PCs for People?
In case you are EBB-approved for the internet benefit at another internet service provider, you cannot use the computer benefit separately at PCs for People. PCs for People only offer the EBB computer benefit to customers who subscribe to their internet service.
Can I Use the Benefit to Cover a Multi-month Internet Package?
The EBB program comes with certain restrictions. Therefore, only one month internet service renewals can be covered with the benefit applied. Multi-month packages are not eligible.
What if I Already Pre-paid for Multiple Months? Can I Get the Benefit?
PCs for People EBB program doesn’t allow for the benefit to be applied to past purchases or multi-month packages. In case the program is still active when the time comes to renew the service, the subscriber can start renewing each month to receive the benefit.
Can I Switch My EBB Provider?
Yes, you can switch your EBB provider at any time. However, note that you can only get the EBB benefit from one provider.
Can I Transfer PCs for People EBB Benefits to Another Person or Household?
No, the PCs for People EBB benefit is non-transferable.