You may have already heard about Q Link Wireless and you may have even heard the rumors that this company offers free tablets and phones. But are the rumors true? Could you really get a Q Link Wireless free tablet and phone? If so, how? To get answers to these questions and many more, you have come to the right place!
What Services and Products Does Q Link Wireless Offer?
Q Link Wireless is a wireless company that offers free government cell phone service to eligible low-income customers. The company operates in many states and its offer varies slightly by state. However, qualifying customers can generally expect to receive:
- Free monthly unlimited data (with limited amounts of high-speed data)
- Free monthly unlimited talk minutes
- Free monthly unlimited text messages
- Free monthly unlimited picture messages
- Other service perks, such as voicemail, 3-way calling
- Access to 10 million free Wi-Fi locations
- A free SIM card and activation
- A new tablet
- Potentially (in certain areas and under certain conditions) also a new phone
How to Get a Q Link Wireless Free Tablet and Phone?
Q Link Wireless offers free monthly wireless services to all eligible customers. Qualifying applicants may also receive a new tablet (it’s not completely free of charge, but it’s hugely discounted) and a free phone (this offer is only available in certain areas and under certain conditions). This is a limited-time offer that depends on the availability and other factors. However, to get these benefits you must follow these steps:
- Step 1: Make sure to qualify for both Lifeline and ACP. Only if you qualify for both programs can you hope to receive both devices.
- Step 2: Make sure that you can prove your eligibility by providing copies of certain acceptable documents that verify the requirements.
- Step 3: Apply for the Lifeline and ACP program through the National Verifier and Q Link Wireless.
- Step 4: If approved, enjoy the benefits.
Let’s break down these steps in the following sections.
How to Qualify for a Q Link Wireless Free Tablet and Phone?
As mentioned before, in order to receive both a free phone and tablet, you must qualify for both government assistance programs. Each program has slightly different eligibility criteria, however, luckily, qualifying for Lifeline also automatically makes you ACP-eligible. Let’s see the general Q Link Wireless requirements, as well as Lifeline and ACP-specific requirements below.
General Q Link and Government Assistance Program Requirements:
- To participate in the government benefit program, you must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor.
- You must be the only applicant in your household or apply for duplication of benefits under certain conditions.
- You must be a resident of one of the states where Q Link offers its services.
To participate in Lifeline, you must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Have an annual household income at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Participate in one of the following Lifeline-qualifying government assistance programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard)
To participate in ACP, you must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Have an annual household income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Participate in Lifeline
- Participate in one of the above-stated Lifeline-qualifying government assistance programs
- Participate in Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) or Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program, including at U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision schools
- Be the recipient of a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year
How to Prove Your Q Link Wireless Eligibility to Receive a Q Link Wireless Free Phone and Tablet?
Both Lifeline and ACP have two general eligibility criteria – you can either apply based on your income or based on your participation in a program (or reception of a Pell Grant). As such, depending on which criteria you meet, you will either be required to prove your income or program participation.
To prove your income, you must provide a copy of an official document that includes your full legal name and annual income, such as:
- Paycheck stubs
- Current income statement from your employer
- Prior year’s state, federal, or Tribal tax return
- A Social Security statement of benefits
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
- Unemployment or Worker’s Compensation statement of benefits
- Divorce decree
- Child support award, etc.
To prove your program participation, you must provide a copy of an official document that includes your full legal name, the name of a qualifying Federal or Tribal assistance program, the name of the establishment that issued the document, and an issue date within the last 12 months or a future expiration date, such as:
- Benefit award letter
- Approval letter
- Statement of benefits
- Benefit verification letter
- School documentation
In addition, you may also be asked to:
- Verify your identity (with a valid ID or passport)
- Verify your age (with a valid ID or birth certificate)
- Verify your physical address (with a valid ID, driver’s license, utility bill, etc.)
- Provide your SSN
- Verify your emancipation status (with a certificate or a court document)
Make sure to make clear copies (digital or physical, depending on how you are planning to apply), as you will be required to provide them during the application process.
How to Apply for Q Link to Receive a Q Link Wireless Free Tablet?
In this section, we will not only reveal how to apply for Q Link’s free devices and services but we will show you how to do so in the most effective way that will make sure that your application gets approved (as long as you meet the eligibility requirements, of course).
Step 1: Apply through the National Verifier
You can do so online or via mail. We absolutely recommend you do it online, as this way you may receive the approval immediately.
To apply online for both programs, visit nv.fcc.gov/lifeline/?id=nv_flow&ebbp=true&awsl=link-from-how-to-apply and complete the application form by providing all the required information and documentation.
Step 2: Apply through Q Link Wireless
If you have applied via National Verifier and your application got approved, you will receive a National Verifier application ID. Make sure to save it and provide it in your Q Link application form. Also, make sure that the information and documentation that you provide here match the data provided in your National Verifier application.
To apply through Q Link, visit qlinkwireless.com, key in your ZIP code and email address in the provided boxes, and press ‘Get it Now’. If the company operates in your area, you will be redirected to your state’s offer. Choose the plan that offers the most benefits and complete the online application form by providing all the necessary information and documentation.
How to Check My Q Link Wireless Application Status?
There is no need to check your Q Link Wireless application status, as the company will notify you as soon as your status changes. You will receive a notification via email or another provider contact method.
However, if you wish to see your status anyway, you can either log into your online Q Link Wireless account at qlinkwireless.com/members/Login.aspx or contact the company’s customer support service and ask the representative about your application status. Learn more about how to check your application status at support.qlinkwireless.com/check-status.
What Happens if My Q Link Wireless Application Status is Approved?
If your Q Link Wireless application gets approved, you will soon be able to enjoy the benefits.
The company will try to send you your Q Link free device and a free SIM card kit via mail to your physical address as soon as possible. Depending on availability, where you live, and some other factors, you should receive the package within a few business days. You can check if the package has already been shipped out in your online Q Link account.
You must then activate your device and SIM card and you should be able to start using your free monthly talk, text, and data immediately.
If you have any issues, make sure to contact Q Link’s customer support service as soon as possible.
What Kind of a Free Tablet and Phone Can I Expect to Receive?
Just like most other Lifeline and ACP providers, Q Link Wireless is very secretive when it comes to revealing the exact tablet and phone models that customers may receive. In fact, the company tends to not disclose the tablet or phone brand or model in advance at all, as the offer tends to depend on the area, the plan which the customer qualifies for, and availability.
Nevertheless, the company does reveal that the tablet comes with the latest Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities and that customers must pay a one-time of $10.01 to get it.
Otherwise, it is safe to expect an entry-level to mid-range Android-powered device (whether that’s a tablet, a smartphone, or both).
What to Do if My Q Link Wireless Application Status is Rejected?
There may be several reasons why your application got rejected. For instance:
- The information that you have provided is incorrect or incomplete.
- The documentation that you have provided is incorrect, blurry, invalid, or incomplete.
- The Information and/or documentation in your Q Link application doesn’t match the information/documentation in your National Verifier application.
- You really don’t meet Q Link’s eligibility criteria.
If one of the first three seems to be the reason, you should contact the company and ask them to give you the opportunity to reapply or to just provide any missing data. If, on the other hand, you don’t qualify, you should consider some of the options in the following section.
What to Do If My Q Link Application Gets Approved But I Only Receive a Tablet?
Well, there is a fair chance of this happening, as Q Link does not consistently offer free phones. If it does happen, you must decide whether you wish to take this offer or you prefer to switch to another Lifeline/ACP provider. If you decide to stay, you can use the provided free SIM card with your tablet or you can bring your own phone to Q Link. The phone you bring must be carrier-unlocked and compatible with Q Link’s network and services. You can check your phone’s compatibility at qlinkwireless.com/byop.aspx.
What to Do If I Qualify for Lifeline and ACP But I Don’t Live in an Area Where Q Link Operates?
If that is the case, you should try to find another Lifeline and ACP provider. If you wish to receive both a free phone and tablet, you will have to find a company that participates in both those two assistance programs and you will have to make sure that you also qualify for both programs. If you only qualify for one program or the other, you will only be able to receive one of those devices at best.
Lifeline and ACP companies that offer both free government tablets and phones include:
- AirTalk Wireless
- Cintex Wireless
- Easy Wireless
- NewPhone Wireless
- StandUp Wireless
What to Do if I Don’t Qualify for Government Benefits?
In case you don’t qualify for a government assistance program at all, you can still check the following options. However, most of these options only offer one device or the other, you will rarely be able to receive both devices at once.
- Getting a free device from a charity or non-profit organization. Only low-income people can apply. Check out companies such as Adaptive.Org, Causes, Computers for Learning, EveryoneOn, On it Foundation, Smartriverside, and The Salvation Army.
- Get a free device through a carrier or retailer’s promotional deal. Both carriers and retailers tend to offer free devices, however, these offers always come with certain conditions, such as having to switch to the customer’s services, sign a lengthy contract, add a line, purchase an expensive plan, trade in an old device, etc.
- Try your luck online. Nowadays, the internet offers tons of options to get a free device (phone or tablet). You should consider becoming an online reviewer or a marketing agent, joining Amazon Vine, participating in online surveys, or entering an online giveaway. However, make sure to avoid scams which are also quite common.
What to Do if I Have Any Additional Questions About the Q Link Wireless Free Tablet and Phone?
In case you have any additional questions, make sure to contact Q Link’s customer support service. You can do so at qlinkwireless.com/members/support.aspx, via chat, or by phone at 1 (855) 754-6543. The representative will surely be able to help you out.
Why Does Q Link Wireless Offer Free Services and Devices for Low-Income Households?
Q Link Wireless participates in not one but two government benefit programs – Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). Both of these assistance programs are funded by the government and administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC).
The first program has a long tradition of providing low-income U.S. citizens with discounts on monthly phone or wireless services and it often offers free phones.
The second program (ACP), is a new program that was only launched during the pandemic to help people finance their very important internet expenses. Many ACP companies only provide discounts on monthly broadband services, however, some (including Q Link Wireless) also provide a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase an internet-connected device (such as a tablet). However, according to government rules, the tablet does not come completely free of charge. Instead, a customer must pay a mandatory co-pay of more than $10 and less than $50 to receive the device.
How to Find Another Provider That Offers Free Tablets and Phones in My Area?
We have listed the providers that offer both free phones and tablets above. However, to see which providers are available in your area, go to cnm.universalservice.org and follow the prompts.
How to Activate My Q Link Wireless Free Tablet and Phone?
Once you have your Q Link Wireless SIM card and device, you can insert the SIM card into the original or compatible phone or tablet. To do so, find the device’s SIM slot and gently slide in the card. Turn the device on and visit qlinkwireless.com/Activate.aspx. Follow the instructions on this page to activate the SIM card and device.
What to Do if I Lost My Q Link Wireless Free Tablet or Phone or if it Was Stolen?
Make sure to contact Q Link’s customer support service immediately so that they can protect your account by temporarily deactivating it. If you won’t be able to find the missing device, you should replace it, upgrade it, or borrow a spare phone.
What to Do if My Q Link Wireless Free Tablet or Phone no Longer Works?
Contact the provider’s customer support right away. Depending on whether your device is still under warranty, the agent will explain your options.
Can I Replace My Q Link Wireless Free Tablet and Phone?
Yes, in certain cases, you can get a replacement device for $25 or more. Contact the support team for more information.
Do My Q Link Wireless Free Tablet and Phone Have a Warranty?
Yes, normally, the device should come with a 14-day limited warranty exchange policy and a one-year factory warranty.
Can I Upgrade My Q Link Wireless Free Tablet and Phone?
Yes, Q Link offers upgrades on devices, however, these upgrades are not free of charge. The price typically starts at around $75.
Can I Change My Lifeline and ACP Provider?
Yes, you can do so, however, you can’t ever get benefits from more than one company at a time.
What Are the Limitations of a Q Link Wireless Free Tablet and Phone?
As these devices are offered under two government assistance programs, you must obey their rules. For instance, only eligible customers can apply, the benefits are only available for one person per household, the benefits are non-transferable, the benefits must be used at least once every 30 days, and you must reapply once a year to continue receiving the services.