Does SafeLink Offer Free Services and Devices?
SafeLink is a phone and wireless provider that offers monthly plans for eligible customers. SafeLink’s services are, however, not available to everyone. In order to become a customer, you must qualify for the Lifeline government assistance program or the Affordable Connectivity Program (see the eligibility criteria below). Moreover, you must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor and a resident of Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, or Wisconsin.
Thanks to SafeLink’s participation in the two government assistance programs (Lifeline and ACP), eligible customers can apply to receive free monthly services with unlimited talk, text, and data, calls to Canada and Mexico, up to 25GB of high-speed data, and up to 5GB of hotspot data. Qualifying customers can also receive a free smartphone or bring their own device and activate it on SafeLink’s network through the company’s Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program.
Can I Get a SafeLink Free iPhone?
SafeLink does offer free mobile devices to eligible Lifeline and ACP subscribers, however, it does (at least currently) not offer free iPhones. Nevertheless, this is no tragedy for several reasons.
- First, you can get another SafeLink free phone under the company’s Lifeline and ACP benefits. The phone brand may not be Apple, but SafeLink offers many other amazing phone models.
- Secondly, SafeLink may not offer free iPhones, but it does offer highly discounted Apple phones.
- Lastly, there are many other ways to get a free iPhone if that is what you truly want and we will discuss most of them in the following sections.
What Other Phone Brands and Models Does SafeLink Offer for Free?
While certain Lifeline and ACP companies inform their customers about the type of phone (brand and model) they may receive in advance and may even allow the customers to choose the device they wish to receive themselves, SafeLink is not one of those select few providers.
Instead, SafeLink’s customers are not able to select the device, nor can they see which phone models are currently available. SafeLink selects a device itself, depending on which phone models are available at the moment of the customer’s application and at that place. Customers should expect to receive an entry-level flip phone to mid-range Android smartphone with all the essential options but not the most recent and advanced features.
Nevertheless, in case you are not fully satisfied with the phone model you were provided with, you can upgrade the device at a very affordable price. Some of the phone models that SafeLink currently offers in its online shop include:
- Alcatel MyFlip 2
- Alcatel TCL A3
- BLU View 2
- Alcatel 3V
- BLU View 3
- LG Aristo 4 Plus
- LG K40
- Motorola G7 Play
- Motorola E (2020)
- Apple iPhone 7
- Samsung Galaxy A03s
- OnePlus Nord 200 5G
- TCL Revvl 5G
- Motorola G Power (2022)
- Nokia G50
- Google Pixel 4
- Samsung Galaxy S10
- Motorola Edge 5G
- Apple iPhone 13
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G
None of these devices is stated to be also offered free of charge, however, you may be able to receive any of the first five listed models for free, as they cost less than $100, which is a reasonable price for a government phone. See the full list of SafeLink’s phones for sale at shop.safelinkwireless.com/shop/?_product_categories=phones.
Can I Buy a SafeLink iPhone?
As mentioned before, you cannot receive a SafeLink free iPhone through the company’s government-supported Lifeline and ACP program, however, you can purchase an iPhone from SafeLink at a discounted price.
Currently, SafeLink sells the following Apple iPhone models in its official online store:
- Apple iPhone 7
- Apple iPhone 6S Plus
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus
- Apple iPhone 8
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus
- Apple iPhone XR
- Apple iPhone 11
- Apple iPhone 13
Obviously, none of these phone models comes free of charge, however, they are somewhat discounted. Their prices range from $149 for the first one to $879 for the last one listed.
If I Can’t Get a SafeLink Free iPhone, Can I Get a Free iPhone From Another Lifeline/ACP Provider?
Granted, you are currently unable to receive a SafeLink free iPhone through the company’s assistance program, however, there are several other Lifeline and ACP providers that do offer free government iPhones.
Most Lifeline and ACP companies (including SafeLink) offer Lifeline-only, ACP-only, and Lifeline+ACP combo plans. As both government assistance programs only offer limited financial support, the notoriously expensive Apple iPhones are only available through the most valuable combo plans. Even so, there are very few providers generous enough to offer free iPhones. See the list of Lifeline/ACP companies that offer free iPhones and how exactly can you receive a free iPhone from the government in the following two sections.
Which Other Lifeline/ACP Companies Offer Free iPhones?
Currently, only three Lifeline and ACP providers offer free government iPhones, and all of these companies happen to be affiliated and owned by HTH Communications.
AirTalk Wireless is a Lifeline and ACP provider that offers free plans with free monthly talk, text, and data services, free phones (including iPhones), and highly discounted ACP tablets to eligible customers in the states of California, Colorado, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New York, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Not only does the company offer several different iPhone models free of charge (in addition to many other flip phone and Android smartphone models), but it also allows you to choose the device that best fits your needs.
To learn more about AirTalk’s government assistance offer and to apply for its benefits, visit airtalkwireless.com.
Cintex Wireless offers free unlimited plans with free monthly talk minutes, text, messages, and high-speed data, free government phones (customers can choose among a large selection of free flip phones, Android smartphones, and cintex Apple iPhones), and discounted ACP tablets. However, these discounts and benefits are only available to eligible households in Arkansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Maine, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
NewPhone Wireless is another HTH-owned government assistance program that offers free unlimited monthly services with high-speed data, talk, and text, free government phones of the customer’s own choosing (flip phones, Android smartphones, and NewPhone Wireless free Apple iPhones), and a one-time ACP discount of up to $100 on a tablet. NewPhone currently only operates in Louisiana and Wyoming.
Begin your application process by visiting newphone.com, pressing ‘Apply Now’, entering your ZIP code, selecting a plan, and filling out the application form.
These companies currently offer some of the following Apple iPhone models: iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPhone 8.
How to Get a Free Government iPhone?
Receiving a free government iPhone is not particularly difficult, however, there are certain conditions that must be met and there is a simple procedure that must be followed:
- You must make sure that you qualify for both Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program. Only being eligible for both will enable you to apply for a free government iPhone. To participate in any of the two assistance programs, you must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor and a resident of one of the states where your selected provider operates. In addition:
- A household is considered Lifeline-eligible if its annual household income is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or if a household member participates in a Lifeline-qualifying assistance program, such as Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8, Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit, or a Tribal assistance program.
- A household is considered ACP-eligible if its annual income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, if it has received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year, or if a member participates in Lifeline, any of the Lifeline-qualifying programs listed above, WIC, or Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program.
- You must be able to prove your eligibility by providing a copy of a valid official document that contains all the essential information.
- You must apply for the Lifeline and ACP program through the National Verifier. Apply for Lifeline at nv.fcc.gov/lifeline and for ACP at nv.fcc.gov/lifeline/?id=nv_flow&ebbp=true&awsl=link-from-how-to-apply. During the application process, you will be required to provide all the information and proof documentation.
- Finally, find a Lifeline/ACP provider that offers free government iPhones in your area.
Can I Bring a Free iPhone to SafeLink?
In addition to offering free Android smartphones and discounted flip phones, Android phones, and iPhones, SafeLink also offers a Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program, which allows customers to bring another phone to SafeLink and use it with its services. You can bring an old phone that you happen to have lying around at home or get a phone elsewhere and bring it to SafeLink.
SafeLink’s BYOP program has some conditions and restrictions, though. While all types of phones (including flip phones, Android smartphones, and iPhones) can be brought to SafeLink, the device must be:
- And compatible with SafeLink’s services and network.
Most GSM smartphones are compatible. You can read more about SafeLink’s BYOP program and make sure your iPhone is compatible with SafeLink’s services at support.safelinkwireless.com/faqs/3087441?device=24934 or by contacting the company’s customer support system.
Is There Any Other Way to Receive a Free iPhone?
If you can’t get a SafeLink free iPhone or a free government iPhone from any other Lifeline/ACP provider and are not interested in receiving a free phone from another brand or buying an iPhone from SafeLink (or any other carrier or retailer, for that matter), there are still some other ways to receive a free iPhone. For instance:
- You can find a promotional deal for a free iPhone from a carrier or retailer. Keep in mind that these special offers are only available for a limited time and that they come with certain conditions. For example, you may be asked to switch to the carrier, sign a lengthy contract, add a line, purchase a select plan, trade-in another phone, or buy another device at full price.
- You can receive a free iPhone online. Online, there are many opportunities to receive a free iPhone, but you must avoid scams. You can enter an inline giveaway, participate in surveys or Amazon Vine, become a reviewer, become a marketing agent, etc.
- Low-income people may even be able to receive a refurbished free iPhone from a charity or non-profit.