SafeLink Wireless is a telecommunication brand provided by TracFone Wireless. It is fully committed to serving Lifeline and ACP-eligible households in numerous U.S. states. The company offers free monthly plans with unlimited talk and text, a certain amount of monthly data, and a free smartphone.
However, to enjoy these benefits you must apply and activate your service. As such, we have prepared all the information necessary for a successful SafeLink Wireless activation.
Eligibility Requirements for SafeLink Wireless Activation
Before you can begin your SafeLink Wireless activation process, you must become a SafeLink customer. However, only eligible Lifeline and ACP (Affordable Connectivity Program) households can apply for SafeLink’s services.
To enjoy SafeLink’s government benefits, certain eligibility requirements must be met. These requirements are determined by the FCC and they vary slightly by each state where the service is provided. However, these are the general Lifeline and ACP eligibility criteria:
Lifeline Eligibility Requirements
To participate in SafeLink’s Lifeline program, your household must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Have an annual household income at or below 135% of the poverty guidelines. The guidelines depend on the state and household size.
- Participate in a qualifying government assistance program, such as SNAP, Medicaid, SSI, FPHA, Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit, or a Tribal Assistance Program.
ACP Eligibility Requirements
To participate in SafeLink’s ACP program, your household must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Have an annual household income at or below 200% of the poverty guidelines. The guidelines depend on the state and household size.
- Participate in a qualifying government assistance program, such as Lifeline or one of the Lifeline-qualifying programs listed above, Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), or Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program.
- Received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year.
Moreover, to become a SafeLink customer, you must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor and a resident of one of the states where the company operates. You must then prove your eligibility with copies of official documents and apply for the services at safelinkwireless.com. Keep in mind that the service is limited to one person per household.
How to Activate a SafeLink Wireless Phone
Once you become a SafeLink customer, you will receive a free SafeLink SIM card kit and a free SafeLink phone. Alternatively, you can also bring your own unlocked compatible phone. Only then can you begin the SafeLink Wireless activation process. Activating your SafeLink phone and SIM card is simple. You must just follow the instructions below.
Steps to Follow
- Turn off your SafeLink (original or compatible) phone and charge it fully.
- Locate your phone’s SIM card slot. Open it and carefully insert the SafeLink SIM card into the device.
- Visit safelinkwireless.com. Open the main menu and go to ‘My Service’ and ‘Activate Phone’.
- Under ‘New Phone?’ tap ‘Activate’.
- Enter your SafeLink phone number and press ‘Continue’.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to activate your phone.
- When your account will get activated, you should receive a message welcoming you to the network.
Alternatively, you can find the activation card in your SafeLink box and follow the instructions on the card. If you can’t find an activation card, it probably means that your phone is already activated.
Required Documents and Information for SafeLink Wireless Activation
In order to begin and finish your SafeLink Wireless activation process, you won’t need any documents. All you will need is the following:
- A SafeLink account
- A SafeLink SIM card and kit
- A SafeLink phone (provided directly by SafeLink or a compatible device brought to SafeLink)
- Instructions on how to activate your phone and SIM card (provided in your box and described above)
During the online activation process, you will be asked to provide some information about your current SafeLink service, such as your phone number.
However, you will need to provide much more information, as well as certain documents during the application process (before you become a SafeLink customer), including your full legal name, date of birth, address, Social Security Number, and proof of eligibility (a copy of a valid legal document that verifies your low income or participation in a government assistance program).
Tips for Successful Activation of SafeLink Wireless Service
To make sure your SafeLink Wireless activation process is successful and quick, follow these useful tips:
- Make sure to apply for SafeLink’s services and become the company’s customer in advance. If you don’t have an active SafeLink account and a SIM card that is connected to your account, you won’t be able to activate the service.
- Prepare every necessary item and information in advance, including your SafeLink SIM card, phone, activation instructions, phone number, and other account information.
- Follow the activation instructions provided above or the ones provided in your SafeLink box that contained your SIM card and phone.
- Check if your box contains activation instructions, as their absence may suggest that the phone is already activated.
- Check if your phone and SIM card are properly activated by trying to place a call. If the call goes through, it means that the line is active and there is nothing else you have to do.
What if I Encounter Problems During the Activation Process?
If you have difficulties during the SafeLink Wireless activation process, make sure to contact the company’s customer support service. The representative will be able to answer all questions.
You can contact the support team by phone at 1-800-SafeLink (723-3546), via chat on the company’s official website, or via mail at SafeLink Wireless, PO Box 160490, Hialeah, FL 33016-9997.
Can I Keep My Current Phone Number When Activating SafeLink Wireless Service?
Once you are a SafeLink customer, you will be able to port in your existing phone number to SafeLink Wireless.
First, you must receive your free SIM card via mail. Then, you can call SafeLink’s technical support number at 1-800-378-1684. Inform the representative that you wish to port in your phone number. Once you do so, the representative will take over and make the transfer.
Can I Activate My SafeLink Wireless Service Online?
You can activate your SafeLink service online by following the steps provided in the section ‘How to Activate a SafeLink Wireless Phone’.
Alternatively, you can follow the steps outlined in the instruction card that may come in your SafeLink box or contact the company’s customer support service.
Benefits of SafeLink Phone and SIM Card Activation
Once you activate your SafeLink phone and SIM card, you will be able to enjoy your Lifeline and ACP plans and benefits, including:
- Free unlimited talk minutes
- Free unlimited text messages
- Calls to Canada and Mexico
- Up to 25GB of high-speed data
- Up to 5GB of hotspot data
- Access to any of the three major nationwide U.S. networks (AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile)
The list of benefits depends on the state and the applicant’s eligibility.