Selectel Wireless is a wireless provider that offers quality phones, affordable plans, and nationwide coverage. Recently, the provider also started offering Affordable Connectivity Program benefits to eligible customers and households to help everyone stay connected.
When Can I Apply and Enroll in the Selectel Wireless ACP?
The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is a brand new government assistance program by the FCC. It’s a $14 billion program designed to replace the old and now-expired Emergency Broadband Benefit and to help make sure that all households can afford the internet connections they need for work, education, healthcare, and more.
The ACP benefit provides a discount of up to $30 a month for internet service (including mobile broadband) for eligible non-Tribal households and up to $75 a month for eligible households on qualifying Tribal lands. Eligible households (Tribal and non-Tribal) can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a connected device, such as a tablet, laptop, or desktop computer (with a required co-pay of more than $10 and less than $50). New Selectel Wireless customers will also get a smartphone free of charge.
The new Selectel Wireless ACP program is available since December 31, 2021 (the same day the old EBB program expired). As such, eligible households can enroll in the Selectel Wireless ACP at any time from that day onward.
In Which States Is Selectel Wireless ACP Offered?
Selectel Wireless is a nationwide service provider that serves all of the United States, including Hawaii. Selectel Wireless ACP is available in the following states:
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
How Can I Enroll in the Selectel Wireless ACP?
To enroll in the Selectel Wireless ACP program, you must be a resident of one of the states where the provider offers its ACP benefits. See the list of Selectel Wireless ACP states above.
In addition, you must be ACP-eligible. ACP eligibility criteria are determined by the FCC, therefore they are universal for all ACP providers. The ACP benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device per household. A household is ACP-eligible if a member of the household meets at least one eligibility criteria below:
- Has an annual household income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. The guideline is based on the household size and state.
- Participates in one or more of the following government assistance programs:
- SNAP (formerly known as Food Stamps)
- Federal Public Housing(Section 8)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program, including at U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision schools in the 2019-20, 2020-21, or 2021-22 school year
- Received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year.
A household living in a qualifying Tribal land may also be ACP-eligible if it meets any of the additional eligibility criteria below:
- Receives Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Receives Tribal TANF (Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
- Participates in Head Start
- Participates in the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
What Documents Are Required to Apply for the Selectel Wireless ACP
To enroll in the Selectel Wireless ACP program (or any other ACP program for that matter), it is vital to be eligible. Now, you can claim to participate in a qualifying government program or to have an annual income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. However, as anyone may do that in order to obtain great discounts and benefits, you will be required to prove your eligibility. The documents that you may be required to submit during the application process depend on your eligibility criteria.
- To verify your identity, you may have to show an official document that includes your full name and date of birth. For example, a passport, government, military, state, or Tribal ID; birth certificate, driver’s license, Green Card, etc.
- To verify your address, you may have to submit an official document that includes your full name and your current physical address. For example, a passport, ID, driver’s license, utility bill, mortgage or lease statement, etc.
- To prove your income-based eligibility, you may have to show proof of income that includes your full name and annual income. For example, a tax return, pay stubs, current income statement from your employer, Social Security statement of benefits, Veterans Administration statement of benefits, Unemployment or Worker’s Compensation statement of benefits, divorce decree, child support award, etc.
- To prove your participation in a qualifying government benefit program, you may have to submit an official document that includes your full name, the name of the program, the name of the establishment that issued the document, and an issue date within the last 12 months. For example, an approval letter, a benefit verification letter, a benefit award letter, a statement of benefits, etc.
Note: To enroll in the ACP program, you must be 18 years old or more or an emancipated minor. As such, emancipated minors must also prove their emancipated minor status by providing a court document or a certificate of emancipation.
You can submit the documents that prove your eligibility online by submitting digital copies or you can send physical copies made with a copy machine, scanner, or a camera directly to the provider’s address. Make sure not to send out original documents!
How Can I Determine if I’m Eligible and Sign Up?
The first thing you can do to determine your eligibility is to review the ACP eligibility criteria listed in the ‘How Can I Enroll in the Selectel Wireless ACP?’ section.
Secondly, you can confirm your eligibility with the National Verifier at acp.selectelwireless.com/acpform. Simply fill out the application form and click ‘Submit’. Your information will be verified with the National Verifier and you will receive a response informing you what to do next. If you get approved, you can visit Selectel’s official ACP website to sign up for Selectel Wireless ACP.
How Do I Apply/Sign Up for Selectel Wireless ACP
The Selectel Wireless ACP application process is quick and simple. To sign up and receive the benefits, simply follow the instructions below:
- Step 1: Confirm your eligibility with the National Verifier. To do so, visit acp.selectelwireless.com/acpform and complete the application form by providing your full name, identity information, address, contact information, eligibility, etc. When you are done, press ‘Submit’.
- Step 2: Wait to get approved by the National Verifier. You may get approved within a few minutes or it could take up to a few days (this usually happens if your application requires a manual review).
- Step 3: Once you get approved with the National Verifier, visit selectelwireless.com/acp, fill out the Selectel Wireless ACP application form, and press ‘Send’. You can also complete your enrollment by calling 877-218-5744 for assistance. You can have the ACP benefit applied to your existing Selectel service or you can use it with a new service (at Selectel or another participating provider).
- Step 4: If you are qualified for the ACP, you will receive an email with further instructions. New customers who wish to receive a free smartphone with a $30 monthly service plan, will receive an email with a tracking number.
In case you have any questions about the Selectel Wireless ACP application process, contact the provider’s customer support at 1-877-218-5744.
What Are the Benefits if I Am Qualified for the Selectel Wireless ACP
Customers who qualify for the Selectel Wireless ACP program will receive the following benefits:
- A free smartphone (new Selectel Wireless customers and customers who have not received a free smartphone through the old EBB program only)
- A $30 monthly wireless service plan for free. The free service plan includes:
- Unlimited talk
- Unlimited text
- 5 GB of high-speed mobile broadband a month
- The possibility to purchase additional high-speed data at an additional charge
Read more about Selectel Wireless ACP at selectelwireless.com/acp.
What if I Received the Emergency Broadband Benefit?
Before the Affordable Connectivity Program was launched on December 31, 2021, eligible customers were able to receive the Emergency Broadband Benefit discounts. In case you enrolled in the EBB program before the program was no longer available, you will continue to receive your EBB discounts until March 1, 2022. After this date, you will continue to receive the up-to $30 ACP discount. In case you will be required to re-enroll or to take any additional steps to change your EBB benefit to ACP, the provider will inform you about it. As the EBB and ACP eligibility criteria are virtually the same, most former EBB customers can now enjoy the ACP benefits.In case you also need information about ebb providers read our past article Best Emergency Broadband Benefit Providers
Are There Any Restrictions for the Selectel Wireless ACP?
The Selectel Wireless ACP is a government assistance program. As such, it comes with a list of restrictions and limitations, including the following:
- Only ACP eligible customers are qualified to receive ACP discounts and benefits.
- The ACP service and device discounts can’t be transferred to another person or household.
- Only one ACP benefit is available per eligible household.
- A household is not allowed to receive ACP benefits from more than one ACP provider at a time.
- In order to continue receiving the ACP service, the customer must use their ACP service at least once a month. The customer must either make/answer a phone call, send a text message, use data, purchase minutes, etc.
- In case you are no longer ACP-eligible, you must notify the provider within 30 days.
- ACP services and devices are subject to consumer eligibility, provider participation, product availability, and FCC/Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) approval.
Selectel Wireless ACP Related FAQ
Can I Join Selectel Wireless ACP if I Am Already a Selectel Wireless Customer?
Yes, both new and existing Selectel Wireless customers may enroll. However, only new Selectel Wireless customers are qualified to receive a new smartphone.
Does Selectel Wireless Offer Free Tablet Under ACP Program?
Unlike many other ACP providers that only offer ACP monthly service discounts, Selectel Wireless also offers discounts on connected devices. However, while certain ACP providers offer free tablets, laptops, or desktop computers, Selectel Wireless offers free smartphones instead. Note: This offer is only available for new customers and customers who have not received a free smartphone through the old EBB program.
You can read one of our past articles 10 Best Free Touch Screen Government Phones
Can I Keep My Existing Phone Number?
Selectel Wireless recommends customers get a new phone number. Nevertheless, if you want to keep your old number, you can do so. To do so, you will have to provide the account number and PIN from your current cell phone service provider. By doing so, Selectel Wireless will be able to port your existing phone number. To activate your old number on the Selectel network, you will probably need a new SIM card, which will be mailed to your address.