Why Should You Activate Total Wireless?
Total Wireless is a subsidiary of TracFone Wireless and one of the most popular wireless service providers in the United States. As Total Wireless offers a lot of appealing benefits, it attracts many new subscribers each year. New customers must activate their service as soon as they purchase or bring a phone and select a plan. If you are one of them and you are wondering exactly how to activate your Total Wireless service, you have come to the right place.
But before we dive deeper into the Total Wireless activation process, let’s determine why should you activate Total Wireless and what are the benefits of becoming the provider’s subscriber in the first place.
Total Wireless is a reputable and reliable wireless service provider. It offers affordable wireless plans, high-quality mobile devices from the best brands, and great services. The provider also allows customers to bring their own compatible phones and offers a simple and user-friendly BYOP program. As a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), Total Wireless runs on Verizon’s nationwide network and thus provides its customers with the best coverage in the country. The fact that at Total Wireless you can get access to the country’s best and most reliable network for a much lower price, is actually one of their main selling points. Total Wireless also has responsive and professional customer service and they tend to offer many amazing deals for both new and existing customers. The services come with no contracts, no activation fees, no cancellation fees, unlimited carryover with no extra costs, and much more.
What Should You Check Before Starting the Total Wireless Activation Process
If you have checked the provider’s many benefits listed above, chances are you wish to subscribe to its services. However, before starting the Total Wireless activation process, make sure to check and consider some important factors.
Check the coverage and available network
Probably the most important thing to do is to check the coverage in your area, as without a network and a strong steady signal you won’t be able to make calls, send text messages, or use data. Since Total Wireless uses Verizon’s nationwide network that covers 70% of the entire U.S. territory and connects over 99% of the population, thus offering the best coverage of all U.S. carriers, you will almost definitely have great coverage in your area. However, as Verizon’s cellular towers are not equally distributed, certain remote rural areas may have patchy coverage. You can find out exactly how good the coverage is in your area by visiting totalwireless.com/coverage/check, pressing ‘Change Location’, and entering your ZIP code.
Total Wireless offers great customer service. They have an extensive FAQ page on their website at support.totalwireless.com where you can find answers to the most common questions. You can find the answers to the most common 5G-related questions at support.totalwireless.com/expresshelp/5g. They offer a simple way to check your balance and service update at totalwireless.com/balanceinquiry. They also offer a page to track your order at shop.totalwireless.com/shop/TFOrderStatusForm?storeId=20003&urlRequestType=Base&langId=-1&catalogId=12051 In addition, their customer service can be contacted via online chat (available 7 days a week from 8 am to 11:45 pm EST), via mail, and by phone at 1-866-663-3633 (available 7 days a week from 8 am to 11:45 pm EST).
Total Wireless has no activation fees, no cancellation fees, and no hidden charges whatsoever, therefore you can expect to pay exactly the price that is listed on their website, regardless of whether you wish to buy a mobile device, a plan, an accessory, or any other features.
Choose a device or check compatibility
In case you wish to subscribe to Total Wireless services, you will either have to purchase a mobile device from them or bring your own device.
If you decide to purchase a cell phone directly from the provider, you can either do so at a retailer (you can find the nearest store at totalwireless.com/findastore by entering your address) or at their official website. If you wish to purchase a Total Wireless phone at their website, simply visit shop.totalwireless.com/shop/en/totalwireless/phones, enter either your ZIP code (for new customers) or your phone number (for existing customers), and choose a device that will best fit your needs. Total Wireless offers iPhones and Android smartphones from the most reputable manufacturers, including Samsung, LG, Motorola. In addition to the latest and most advanced phones that can be purchased at affordable prices, Total Wireless also sells regular flip phones and refurbished phones.
If you already have a phone that you love, on the other hand, you can keep it. Total Wireless offers a simple and convenient Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program, which allows customers to bring an unlocked CDMA mobile device that is compatible with Total’s services. You can check your phone’s compatibility at totalwireless.com/activation/byop/collectesn?carrier=VZW by entering either your phone’s IMEI, MEID, or serial number. You can read more about the provider’s BYOP program at totalwireless.com/keep-your-own-phone.
Last, but certainly not least, you must compare Total Wireless’ plans and choose the one that best fits your budget and your minute, text, and data needs. Total Wireless offers single-line plans, an extended plan, and family plans. In addition, they offer service add-ons.
Single line plans:
- Unlimited plan with 1 GB of high-speed data, unlimited 2G data, unlimited nationwide talk and text, and 30 service days. It costs $23.70 with auto-refill.
- Unlimited plan with 5G of high-speed data, unlimited 2G data, unlimited nationwide talk and text, 30 service days, and now with hotspot up to high-speed data allotment. It costs $33.20 with auto-refill.
- Unlimited plan with 25G of high-speed data, unlimited 2G data, unlimited nationwide talk and text, 30 service days, 50 GB of cloud storage, and now with hotspot up to 10 GB per line. It costs $45.00 with auto-refill for the first three months.
- Unlimited plan with 5G of high-speed data every 30 days, unlimited 2G data, unlimited nationwide talk and text, and 90 service days. It costs $90.00.
- Unlimited 2 lines plan with 30 GB of high-speed shared data, unlimited 2G data, unlimited nationwide talk and text, 30 service days, and now with hotspot up to 10 GB per line. It costs $57.00 with auto-refill.
- Unlimited 3 lines plan with 60 GB of high-speed shared data, unlimited 2G data, unlimited nationwide talk and text, 30 service days, and now with hotspot up to 10 GB per line. It costs $80.70 with auto-refill.
- Unlimited 4 lines plan with 100 GB of high-speed shared data, unlimited 2G data, unlimited nationwide talk and text, 30 service days, and now with hotspot up to 10 GB per line. It costs $95.00 with auto-refill.
- 5 GB add-on data gives you 5 GB of extra shared data. It doesn’t expire with active service, it rolls over to the next month if unused, and it cannot be used for hotspot. It costs $10.00.
- Global calling add-on costs $10.00 and provides the ability to call anywhere in the world from the U.S. for as low as $0.01. Unused balance carries over to the next month.
Read more about Total Wireless service plans at totalwireless.com/serviceplan?session=reset.
How to Activate a Total Wireless Phone
Now, let’s take a look at how to activate your Total Wireless phone.
To become a Total Wireless customer, you must take three essential steps.
- First, you must decide whether to buy a new phone or keep your old compatible one.
- Once you do so, you must find a no-contract plan. You can do so at totalwireless.com/serviceplan?session=reset.
- Finally, once you receive both your phone and SIM card, transfer your service to Total Wireless by calling 1.866.663.3633.
Now, it’s time to activate your account and device. In this chapter, we will review how to activate a new original Total Wireless phone that has been purchased directly from the provider. To do so, simply follow the easy steps below.
- Step 1: Open your phone package and find the red activation card saying ‘Start here’. On this card, you will find your phone’s serial number, which is required to complete the process.
- Step 2: Turn off your phone and carefully insert your SIM card into the phone.
- Step 3: Decide to either activate your phone online at totalwireless.com/activation/selectdevice or by phone at 1-866-663-3633.
If you decide to activate your new Total Wireless device by phone, you will be required to follow the provided instruction and to provide your personal information, such as your name, address, payment method, and your phone’s IMEI, MEID, or serial number.
In case you choose to do the activation online, follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Go to totalwireless.com/activation/selectdevice.
- Step 2: Select the first option (Total Wireless phone) and press ‘Continue’.
- Step 3: Enter your phone’s IMEI, MEID, or serial number. Accept the company’s terms and conditions and press ‘Continue’.
- Step 4: Select a plan and press ‘Continue’.
- Step 5: Do the phone setup. You will be required to provide some personal and payment information. Do so, follow the prompts, and press ‘Continue’.
Note: Here, you will be able to choose a new number, keep your existing number, transfer information and number from your old device or your previous service provider, or transfer your service and airtime balance to your new phone in case you are a current Total Wireless customer upgrading to a new phone.
- Step 6: Finalize the activation process. Once you do so, you will be able to use your Total Wireless services. Test if your device has been successfully activated by placing a call, sending a text message, or using the data.
How to Activate Total Wireless by Using Bring Your Own Device
In case you have decided to bring your own compatible device and wish to activate a non-Total Wireless phone, follow the instructions provided in this chapter.
- Step 1: Go to totalwireless.com/activation/selectdevice.
- Step 2: Select the second option (Bring your own device) and press ‘Continue’. Accept the terms and conditions by pressing ‘I accept’.
- Step 3: Enter your phone’s IMEI, MEID, or serial number. In case you don’t know your phone’s ID number, you will be provided with instructions on how to find it for both Android phones and iPhones. Press ‘Continue’.
- Step 4: Assuming that your phone is compatible with Total Wireless services, you will now be able to buy a SIM activation kit.
- Step 5: Once you receive your SIM activation kit, turn off your phone and place the new Total Wireless SIM card into the device.
- Step 6: Activate your BYOP device and SIM card by following the instructions provided in the SIM activation kit.
Once you finish the activation process described in your SIM activation kit, make sure your service has been successfully activated by trying to place a call, send a text message, or use data.
Reactivate and Activate Total Wireless – Is It the Same?
In case you lose your phone, if it gets stolen, or broken, or if you decide to upgrade it, you may have to reactivate your service with another device.
To do so, simply insert your new or old Total Wireless SIM card into the device, turn the device on and try making a call. If the call goes through and if you are able to send messages and use data, your service is already activated. Otherwise, reactivate it by calling Total Wireless’ customer support service at 1-866-663-3633 and ask them to activate your device. You may be required to provide some account info, personal details, and the phone’s IMEI, MEID, or serial number.
How to Activate Total Wireless SIM Card
Your Total Wireless SIM card will automatically get activated along with the device when you activate your phone, therefore you don’t have to worry about activating your SIM card separately.
In case you purchase a new phone directly from Total Wireless, the device will come with a SIM card. You simply insert the card into the device and do the activation process described in the ‘How to Activate a Total Wireless Phone’ section.
If you decide to bring your own phone, you will only need to purchase a SIM activation kit (you can do so online at shop.totalwireless.com/shop/en/totalwireless/byop or at any of their retailers), insert the SIM card into the device, and follow the activation process provided in the ‘How to Activate Total Wireless by Using Bring Your Own Device’ section.
In case you lose your SIM card but you still have the same device, you can simply insert the new SIM card into the device and the service will probably activate automatically. Otherwise, call Total Wireless’ customer support service at 1-866-663-3633.
How to Activate Other Total Wireless Products
In addition to activating an original Total Wireless phone purchased directly from the provider and a BYOP device, Total Wireless also allows customers to activate a third type of product – a Total Wireless hotspot. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Step 1: Go to totalwireless.com/activation/selectdevice.
- Step 2: Select the third (and last) option (Total Wireless Hotspot) and press ‘Continue’.
- Step 3: Enter your device’s IMEI, MEID, or serial number. Accept the company’s terms and conditions and press ‘Continue’.
- Step 4: Continue the activation process by following the on-screen prompts and providing your account, payment, and personal information.
- Step 5: Once you finalize the activation process, make sure that your hotspot works. If it does, it has been successfully activated, otherwise call Total Wireless’ customer support service at 1-866-663-3633.
What to Do if I Can’t Activate Total Wireless With These Instructions?
In case you experience any trouble during the activation process, if the device hasn’t been activated properly, or if you have any other Total Wireless activation-related questions, make sure to call Total Wireless’ customer support service at 1-866-663-3633. Their team of highly trained professionals will be able to help you in no time. This number is available 7 days a week from 8 am to 11:45 pm EST. You can also get in touch with them via online chat, which is also available 7 days a week from 8 am to 11:45 pm EST).
Total Wireless Activation Others Thing You Should Know
Can I Add Airtime During Activation?
During the activation process, you will be able to choose a plan. Choosing a plan will automatically fill your service with minutes, text messages, and data for 30 or 90 days (depending on the plan you choose). You will need to refill your service plan every 30 (or 90) days to keep the phone active. Enrolling in Auto-Refill will automatically refill your service plan once a month. You can also refill your service by visiting their official website at totalwireless.com/, clicking ‘Refill’ on the main menu located on the top of the page, and selecting either ‘Refill now’ or ‘Auto-Refill’.
What Special Deals Does Total Wireless Offer Right Now?
You can see the provider’s hottest current deals on phones at shop.totalwireless.com/shop/en/totalwireless/top-deals. Other discounts and special offers can be spotted at totalwireless.com/. When visiting the main website, you may even get a pop-up notification offering you a discount coupon in exchange for providing your e-mail address and subscribing to their newsletter.
Are Total Wireless Phones Unlocked?
Generally, Total Wireless phones are locked. Some phones are capable of being unlocked and others aren’t. If you wish to unlock your Total Wireless phone and if your device can actually be unlocked, you must request phone unlocking. The company will unlock the devices of both current and former customers free of charge, however, the device must have been activated on the provider’s service for 12 months or more with service plans redeemed in no less than 12 months and it cannot be reported stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity.
If I Bought a Phone From Straight Talk Can I Use Total Wireless to Activate It?
As Straight Talk and Total Wireless are both TracFone subsidiaries, you can bring a phone from Straight Talk and activate it at Total Wireless and vice-versa.
Can I Bring Any Phone to Activate With Total Wireless?
No. While you can bring phones from many different carriers and MVNOs to Total Wireless, the company does have some eligibility rules. The phone you bring to Total Wireless must be unlocked, compatible with the service, not interfering with the service, and complying with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations. You can check your phone’s compatibility at totalwireless.com/activation/byop/collectesn?carrier=VZW.
How Do I Know if My Phone Is Compatible With Total Wireless?
You can check your phone’s compatibility at totalwireless.com/activation/byop/collectesn?carrier=VZW by entering either your phone’s IMEI, MEID, or serial number. If the system notifies you that the device is compatible, you can bring it to Total Wireless and use it with its services, otherwise, you can’t.
What Is the Network Unlock Code for Total Wireless?
In case your locked Total Wireless phone is capable of being unlocked, the provider will give you a unique unlocking code if you request unlocking and meet certain conditions. The conditions include that the phone must have been activated for at least 12 months with service plans redeemed in no less than 12 months and that the device is not reported stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity. To get the unlock code, make sure to contact the provider’s customer service.
Can I Use Total Wireless Phone Without Activation?
No, before you can use your Total Wireless phone (or your own phone with Total’s services) you must activate the device. To activate your original or BYOP device go to totalwireless.com/activation/selectdevice, select the device you wish to activate, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Do I Need Total Wireless SIM Card Activation After Replacing a SIM Card?
In case you need to replace your Total Wireless SIM card, you probably won’t be required to activate it. Once you insert the card into the old phone, the service will probably activate automatically. Otherwise, call Total Wireless’ customer support service at 1-866-663-3633.
How Long Does It Take to Total Wireless Activation?
After completing the activation process, the device should be activated in a matter of minutes. If the device isn’t activated after 24 hours, call the provider’s customer support service at 1-866-663-3633.
Is Total Wireless CDMA or GSM?
Total Wireless runs on Verizon’s CDMA network, as such, it uses CDMA technology and sells CDMA devices.
Does Total Wireless Support 5G?
Yes, Total Wireless supports Verizon’s huge 5G network. You can check if the provider offers a 5G network in your area at totalwireless.com/coverage/check and you can read more about Total Wireless’ 5G coverage at support.totalwireless.com/expresshelp/5g.