Does Cricket Charge an Upgrade Fee?
Are you planning to upgrade your Cricket device to a new model packed with amazing features and wondering “Can I upgrade my Cricket phone for free?” Well, sadly, the answer is no.
While you can upgrade your Cricket phone every 180 days, the upgrade is not completely free of charge. Instead, Cricket Wireless will charge you a $25 device upgrade fee. The upgrade fee applies for both in-store and online phone upgrades.
What Is the Cricket Wireless Phone Upgrade Eligibility Policy?
Cricket Wireless understands that some customers like to change their devices regularly and that some of them wish to always have the latest phone models with the most advanced features. Therefore, the popular American wireless service provider has made the upgrading process as simple as possible.
The first thing that each Cricket customer who wishes to upgrade his or her phone must know is that one can only upgrade a Cricket phone if they meet the company’s device upgrade eligibility policy. The Cricket device upgrade eligibility policy includes the following rules:
- In order to upgrade a Cricket phone, you must have an existing line of service with Cricket.
- You must have a Cricket monthly service plan that costs at least $30 a month.
- The upgrade phone must be new.
- The upgrade phone must be purchased from a Cricket store or online at cricketwireless.com/home.html.
- Each customer can only upgrade his or her phone once every 180 days.
- When upgrading your Cricket phone (either in a Cricket store or online), you will be required to pay a $25 device upgrade fee (unfortunately, it is not possible to upgrade your Cricket phone for free).
How Do Phone Upgrades Work?
There are two ways to upgrade your Cricket wireless phone. You can do it online at cricketwireless.com/myaccount.html#/login (to do so, you will need to log in to your Cricket account), or you can do it in a local Cricket Wireless store (find the nearest store at cricketwireless.com/stores.html).
To upgrade your phone, you must consider and follow three basic steps:
Review protection options
When upgrading your Cricket phone, consider protecting it. You will have the opportunity to add coverage for your new device with Cricket Protect. Cricket Protect will provide protection against loss, theft, and accidental damage (including water damage). This protection will provide you with peace of mind. However, not all phones are eligible for this protection plan. For example, certain certified pre-owned and less expensive phones are not eligible.
How to get the Cricket Protect feature? It’s simple!
- If you already have the Cricket Protection plan on your line and if your new device is eligible, you can keep the protection.
- In case you already have the Cricket Protection but your new device is not eligible, Cricket will automatically remove this protection option when you activate your new device.
- If you don’t have Cricket Protect yet, however, you wish to get it and your new phone is eligible, you can simply add it during the upgrade process.
Get a qualifying plan
In order to upgrade your device, you must be on a plan that costs at least $30 a month. In case you wish or need to change your plan, you can do so at cricketwireless.com/myaccount.html?route=changePlan#/changePlan after activating your new phone. Simply sign in to your account at cricketwireless.com/myaccount.html#/login or use the myCricket app to select your plan.
Activate your new phone
After receiving your new phone, you will be required to activate it. To do so, visit cricketwireless.com/activate.html. Before you activate the device, make sure to insert your new SIM card into the new phone. As soon as you activate your phone, you will be able to see or change your current plan and features online whenever you sign in to your Cricket account.
How to Upgrade My Cricket Phone?
Perhaps the simplest way to upgrade your Cricket phone is to do so online. The process is simple. All you have to do is to follow the instructions below:
- Step 1: Visit cricketwireless.com/myaccount.html?route=login#/login and sign in to your account.
- Step 2: Once you sign in, you will get to the Account Summary page. Scroll down to ‘Phone Numbers’ and press the blue arrow to the right of the line you wish to upgrade.
- Step 3: On the next page, scroll down to ‘Device’ and press ‘Upgrade Device’.
- Step 4: On the next page, review the information about the upgrade process.
- Step 5: Choose the option ‘Shop Smartphones’ to start shopping for a new phone.
- Step 6: Select the device you wish to purchase and add it to your card.
- Step 7: Review the insurance options.
- Step 8: In case you wish to buy some accessories, press the button ‘Accessories’ at the top. Add the desired items and press the ‘Cart’ icon to get back to the cart.
- Step 9: Review your cart and press ‘Check Out’. Review your contact information, billing/shipping address, and payment info. Agree to the terms and conditions and press ‘Continue’. Review the information once more and choose ‘Place Order’.
- Step 10: You will see the Receipt screen. Make sure to save the confirmation number. You will also receive a confirmation text message and email.
You can also upgrade your phone at a Cricket store:
- Step 1: Locate a Cricket store near you by visiting cricketwireless.com/stores and entering your ZIP code or city and state.
- Step 2: Visit the store and ask to speak to a sales rep or agent. Tell them you wish to upgrade your phone and they will walk you through the process.
How to Upgrade Cricket Plans
In order to upgrade your Cricket phone, you will be required to have a plan that costs $30 a month or more.
If you don’t have a qualifying plan or if you wish to upgrade your Cricket plan for any other reason, you can do so online. Simply follow the instructions below:
- Step 1: Visit cricketwireless.com/myaccount.html?route=changePlan#.
- Step 2: Sign in to your account by entering your Cricket username and password. Press ‘Sign In’.
- Step 3: Select the plan you wish to use and purchase it.
You can also do the same at the myCricket app, which is available on both Google Play and App Store. Find out more about the app at cricketwireless.com/apps.html.
In case you also need information How To Replace Cricket Wireless Phone
How to Upgrade Cricket SIM
When you upgrade your phone, you will automatically receive a new SIM card, which you will be able to use with your new upgrade phone. As mentioned before, you will have to insert the new SIM into your new device before you activate it.
In case you wish to purchase a new Cricket SIM card because your old SIM card is lost or damaged, because you wish to switch to a device that uses a different SIM size, or for any other reason, you can do so both online and in the nearest Cricket store. To do so online, simply log in to your Cricket account and select a new SIM card.
If you need information Cricket SIM Card Replacement Guide
What Do I Need in Order to Upgrade My Cricket Phone?
There are several things you need in order to upgrade your Cricket phone, including a current account with Cricket, a Cricket line of service, and a rate plan that costs at least $30 a month. In addition, you can only upgrade your Cricket phone once every 180 days and you will be required to pay a $25 fee.
Does Cricket Protect Cover My Upgraded Phone?
Cricket Protect is an insurance plan that covers old and upgraded phones in the event of loss, theft, and accidental damage. However, to protect your upgrade phone with this insurance plan, the device must be eligible (some older devices cannot be protected). In addition, you have to add this insurance when upgrading your phone.
How Much Does Cricket Charge to Change Phones?
You cannot upgrade your Cricket phone for free. Instead, you will be required to pay a $25 device upgrade fee (both in-store and online).
What Happens if You Lose Your Cricket Phone?
In case you lose your Cricket phone, the best thing to do is to suspend your service temporarily. If the lost phone is found, you can easily restore the service. However, you won’t get a credit or a refund for unused monthly service.
Does Cricket Offer Free Phones?
Yes. However, to get a free phone you must activate a plan and bring your number or meet any other requirements. Currently, Cricket offers these free phones:
- Samsung Galaxy A12
- Motorola moto g power
- Samsung Galaxy A03s
- Motorola moto g pure
- Samsung Galaxy A02s
- Motorola moto g play
- Cricket Ovation 2
- Cricket Debut
- Cricket Icon 3
Can I Put My Cricket SIM Card on Another Phone?
As long as your SIM card is the right size for the phone, you can easily place your Cricket SIM card on any phone. However, if the SIM card doesn’t fit, you can simply buy another one – online or in-store.
Does Cricket Wireless Provide Call History?
Yes, however, to get the phone records you have to send a subpoena asking for the records. You can contact the center for records at 1-800-635-6840. Keep in mind that you will be required to pay a fee.
Can I Use My Cricket SIM Card on an AT&T Phone?
Yes, Cricket and AT&T devices are compatible, therefore you can easily use your Cricket SIM card in an AT&T phone.