Does Cricket Charge an Upgrade Fee?
Are you planning to upgrade your Cricket device to a new model packed with amazing features and wondering “Can I upgrade my Cricket phone for free?” Well, sadly, the answer is no.
While you can upgrade your Cricket phone every 180 days, the upgrade is not completely free of charge. Instead, Cricket Wireless will charge you a $25 device upgrade fee. The upgrade fee applies for both in-store and online phone upgrades.
What Is the Cricket Wireless Phone Upgrade Eligibility Policy?
Cricket Wireless understands that some customers like to change their devices regularly and that some of them wish to always have the latest phone models with the most advanced features. Therefore, the popular American wireless service provider has made the upgrading process as simple as possible.
The first thing that each Cricket customer who wishes to upgrade his or her phone must know is that one can only upgrade a Cricket phone if they meet the company’s device upgrade eligibility policy. The Cricket device upgrade eligibility policy includes the following rules:
- In order to upgrade a Cricket phone, you must have an existing line of service with Cricket.
- You must have a Cricket monthly service plan that costs at least $30 a month.
- The upgrade phone must be new.
- The upgrade phone must be purchased from a Cricket store or online at cricketwireless.com/home.html.
- Each customer can only upgrade his or her phone once every 180 days.
- When upgrading your Cricket phone (either in a Cricket store or online), you will be required to pay a $25 device upgrade fee (unfortunately, it is not possible to upgrade your Cricket phone for free).
How Do Phone Upgrades Work?
There are two ways to upgrade your Cricket wireless phone. You can do it online at cricketwireless.com/myaccount.html#/login (to do so, you will need to log in to your Cricket account), or you can do it in a local Cricket Wireless store (find the nearest store at cricketwireless.com/stores.html).
To upgrade your phone, you must consider and follow three basic steps:
Review protection options
When upgrading your Cricket phone, consider protecting it. You will have the opportunity to add coverage for your new device with Cricket Protect. Cricket Protect will provide protection against loss, theft, and accidental damage (including water damage). This protection will provide you with peace of mind. However, not all phones are eligible for this protection plan. For example, certain certified pre-owned and less expensive phones are not eligible.
How to get the Cricket Protect feature? It’s simple!
- If you already have the Cricket Protection plan on your line and if your new device is eligible, you can keep the protection.
- In case you already have the Cricket Protection but your new device is not eligible, Cricket will automatically remove this protection option when you activate your new device.
- If you don’t have Cricket Protect yet, however, you wish to get it and your new phone is eligible, you can simply add it during the upgrade process.
Get a qualifying plan
In order to upgrade your device, you must be on a plan that costs at least $30 a month. In case you wish or need to change your plan, you can do so at cricketwireless.com/myaccount.html?route=changePlan#/changePlan after activating your new phone. Simply sign in to your account at cricketwireless.com/myaccount.html#/login or use the myCricket app to select your plan.
Activate your new phone
After receiving your new phone, you will be required to activate it. To do so, visit cricketwireless.com/activate.html. Before you activate the device, make sure to insert your new SIM card into the new phone. As soon as you activate your phone, you will be able to see or change your current plan and features online whenever you sign in to your Cricket account.
How to Upgrade My Cricket Phone?
Perhaps the simplest way to upgrade your Cricket phone is to do so online. The process is simple. All you have to do is to follow the instructions below:
- Step 1: Visit cricketwireless.com/myaccount.html?route=login#/login and sign in to your account.
- Step 2: Once you sign in, you will get to the Account Summary page. Scroll down to ‘Phone Numbers’ and press the blue arrow to the right of the line you wish to upgrade.
- Step 3: On the next page, scroll down to ‘Device’ and press ‘Upgrade Device’.
- Step 4: On the next page, review the information about the upgrade process.
- Step 5: Choose the option ‘Shop Smartphones’ to start shopping for a new phone.
- Step 6: Select the device you wish to purchase and add it to your card.
- Step 7: Review the insurance options.
- Step 8: In case you wish to buy some accessories, press the button ‘Accessories’ at the top. Add the desired items and press the ‘Cart’ icon to get back to the cart.
- Step 9: Review your cart and press ‘Check Out’. Review your contact information, billing/shipping address, and payment info. Agree to the terms and conditions and press ‘Continue’. Review the information once more and choose ‘Place Order’.
- Step 10: You will see the Receipt screen. Make sure to save the confirmation number. You will also receive a confirmation text message and email.
You can also upgrade your phone at a Cricket store:
- Step 1: Locate a Cricket store near you by visiting cricketwireless.com/stores and entering your ZIP code or city and state.
- Step 2: Visit the store and ask to speak to a sales rep or agent. Tell them you wish to upgrade your phone and they will walk you through the process.
Top 5 Cricket Wireless Upgrade Phones
An upgrade phone is by definition a device that is better than your current device. It tends to be a more recent model with more advanced features. Depending on which phone model you may currently have, one of the following smartphone models may be a good fit for you. As long as the device is new (instead of pre-owned), you can buy any of the devices that are currently offered by Cricket as an upgrade phone.
Apple iPhone 13 Pro
When it comes to smartphones, Apple is one of the most reputable brands in the world. And for a good reason. Apple’s devices are of high quality, durable, advanced, and packed with numerous amazing features. The company’s latest models are the Apple iPhone 13 models (13, 13 mini, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max), which are currently considered one of the best phones on Earth. Cricket offers all of these models, however, we will focus on all of them, except the basic (iPhone 13) model.
At Cricket, the iPhone 13 Pro model comes with 128, 256, 512 GB, or 1 TB. The device has a 6.1-inch all-screen OLED display, 5G connectivity, a pro 12 MP camera system with ultra-wide, wide, and telephoto cameras, a built-in rechargeable lithium-polymer battery, and many other advanced features.
Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max
This iPhone 13 model is even larger and more feature-packed. You can select between these models that have 128, 256, 512 GB, or 1 TB of internal storage capacity. The device has a 6.7-inch Super Retina XDR display with ProMotion, 5G connectivity, a pro 12 MP camera system that includes ultra-wide, wide, and telephoto cameras, a long-lasting built-in rechargeable battery, IP68 water resistance, a durable design, and much more.
Apple iPhone 13 mini
This iPhone 13 model is perfect for those who prefer smaller phone models, as smaller devices are simply more lightweight and portable. This phone comes with 128 GB, 256 GB, or 512 GB of internal storage capacity, a much smaller 5.4-inch Super Retina XDR display, 5G connectivity, an advanced dual-camera system with 12 MP wide and ultra-wide cameras, a decent built-in rechargeable lithium-polymer battery, and other great specifications and features.
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G
In the world of smartphones and other electronics, Samsung is another giant. Unlike the iOS-run Apple phones, Samsung devices are powered by the Android operating system. The Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G is one of Samsung’s latest and most advanced phones. It offers a 6.4-inch FHD+ display, up to 128 GB of internal storage, 5G connectivity, a high-quality 12 MP + 12 MP + 8 MP rear camera system, a 32 MP front camera, a long-lasting 4500 mAh Li-Ion all-day intelligent battery, powerful performance, hearing aid compatibility, and many other both useful and entertaining features.
Motorola moto g stylus 5G (2022)
Motorola is yet another high-quality smartphone manufacturer. Motorola’s devices are also powered by Android OS and they are both durable and reliable. This phone model comes with a 6.8-inch Max Vision 120 Hz FHD+ display, a built-in creative stylus, which enables you to hand-write and draw, a spectacular 50 MP camera system with OIS, a 16 MP selfie camera, a powerful 5000 mAh battery with TurboPower charging, up to 128 GB of internal storage, hearing aid compatibility, and much more.
List of Other Cricket Wireless Upgrade Phones
The smartphone models mentioned above may be some of the best devices currently offered by Cricket Wireless. Nonetheless, the company also offers a large selection of other phones, all of which can be used as an upgrade phone, including:
- Cricket Dream 5G
- Apple iPhone SE 2nd Gen
- Apple iPhone SE 2022
- Motorola moto g power
- Apple iPhone 11
- Motorola moto g stylus (2022)
- Motorola moto g stylus 5G
- Apple iPhone 13
- Motorola moto g 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A53 5g
- Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G
- Motorola moto g pure
- Samsung Galaxy A03s
- Samsung Galaxy A13 5G
- Cricket Icon 3
- Apple iPhone 12
- Cricket Debut Flip
- Cricket Ovation 2
- TCL Classic
- TCL 30 Z
- Cricket Icon 2
- Cricket Debut
- Cricket Turbo Hotspot 2
- LG X Charge
- Cricket Vision Plus
- Samsung Galaxy A13
However, as Cricket’s offered smartphone selection changes and updates regularly, make sure to view all the latest models at https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones.
How to Upgrade Cricket Plans
In order to upgrade your Cricket phone, you will be required to have a plan that costs $30 a month or more.
If you don’t have a qualifying plan or if you wish to upgrade your Cricket plan for any other reason, you can do so online. Simply follow the instructions below:
- Step 1: Visit cricketwireless.com/myaccount.html?route=changePlan#.
- Step 2: Sign in to your account by entering your Cricket username and password. Press ‘Sign In’.
- Step 3: Select the plan you wish to use and purchase it.
You can also do the same at the myCricket app, which is available on both Google Play and App Store. Find out more about the app at cricketwireless.com/apps.html.
In case you also need information How To Replace Cricket Wireless Phone
How to Upgrade Cricket SIM
When you upgrade your phone, you will automatically receive a new SIM card, which you will be able to use with your new upgrade phone. As mentioned before, you will have to insert the new SIM into your new device before you activate it.
In case you wish to purchase a new Cricket SIM card because your old SIM card is lost or damaged, because you wish to switch to a device that uses a different SIM size, or for any other reason, you can do so both online and in the nearest Cricket store. To do so online, simply log in to your Cricket account and select a new SIM card.
If you need information Cricket SIM Card Replacement Guide
Cricket Wireless Upgrade Phones Related FAQs
What Do I Need in Order to Upgrade My Cricket Phone?
There are several things you need in order to upgrade your Cricket phone, including a current account with Cricket, a Cricket line of service, and a rate plan that costs at least $30 a month. In addition, you can only upgrade your Cricket phone once every 180 days and you will be required to pay a $25 fee.
Does Cricket Protect Cover My Upgraded Phone?
Cricket Protect is an insurance plan that covers old and upgraded phones in the event of loss, theft, and accidental damage. However, to protect your upgrade phone with this insurance plan, the device must be eligible (some older devices cannot be protected). In addition, you have to add this insurance when upgrading your phone.
How Much Does Cricket Charge to Change Phones?
You cannot upgrade your Cricket phone for free. Instead, you will be required to pay a $25 device upgrade fee (both in-store and online).
What Happens if You Lose Your Cricket Phone?
In case you lose your Cricket phone, the best thing to do is to suspend your service temporarily. If the lost phone is found, you can easily restore the service. However, you won’t get a credit or a refund for unused monthly service.
Does Cricket Offer Free Phones?
Yes. However, to get a free phone you must activate a plan and bring your number or meet any other requirements. Currently, Cricket offers these free phones:
- Samsung Galaxy A12
- Motorola moto g power
- Samsung Galaxy A03s
- Motorola moto g pure
- Samsung Galaxy A02s
- Motorola moto g play
- Cricket Ovation 2
- Cricket Debut
- Cricket Icon 3
Can I Put My Cricket SIM Card on Another Phone?
As long as your SIM card is the right size for the phone, you can easily place your Cricket SIM card on any phone. However, if the SIM card doesn’t fit, you can simply buy another one – online or in-store.
Does Cricket Wireless Provide Call History?
Yes, however, to get the phone records you have to send a subpoena asking for the records. You can contact the center for records at 1-800-635-6840. Keep in mind that you will be required to pay a fee.
Can I Use My Cricket SIM Card on an AT&T Phone?
Yes, Cricket and AT&T devices are compatible, therefore you can easily use your Cricket SIM card in an AT&T phone.