Verizon is one of the largest and most popular wireless providers in the USA. It prides itself on offering great coverage, superior customer support, Lifeline Discount Phone, and a great deal on the latest Android and iPhone mobiles. With that in mind, we decide to devote today’s article to cover the details regarding how to activate Verizon new SIM card.
So, if just got Verizon’s SIM card and would like to activate it, you surely came to the right place. Going through the sections below, you will learn how to activate Verizon new SIM card with ease. Moreover, we will cover additional aspects and the most common questions related to Verizon SIM card activation herein.
Are you ready to dig in? Let’s do this!
Why Should You Activate Verizon New SIM Card?
For starters, if you want to use Verizon services, you need to activate Verizon SIM card. This is the ultimate reason behind doing this part of the process.
However, before we start discussing the details of how to activate Verizon SIM card, you deserve to know why you should give Verizon a chance in the first place.
So, this section is for those of you who are still on the fence and haven’t yet decided whether or not Verizon deserves to be your carrier.
As mentioned in the top paragraph, Verizon is one of the largest carriers in the USA. It offers great coverage, reward-winning customer support, and many incredible deals. Verizon has unlimited plans for both post-paid and pre-paid customers, which provides you with top-notch services.
On top of that, you get access to special deals on the latest phones from leading brands, such as Apple and Samsung. Deciding to get the most expensive plans can often come with a free or highly discounted top-notch smartphone.
If you can afford Verizon services (low prices aren’t their strongest suit), then Verizon is definitely worth using for your wireless needs.
What Should You Check Before Starting the Verizon Activation Process?
Before purchasing your new Verizon SIM card and initiating the activation process, you need to check that Verizon overs great coverage in your area.
You also need to check their latest deals and prices to determine whether their plans suit your needs and budget.
Those are the two most important aspects.
In case you do not plan on using your new Verizon SIM card with Verizon certified device, you also need to check your existing device’s compatibility. Luckily this can easily be done online. Visit verizon.com and follow the compatibility-checking process.
Once you’ve checked the above steps and determined that Verizon is the right choice for you, you may proceed with your plan selection and actually attaining your Verizon SIM card.
How Do I Activate Verizon New SIM Card?
There are three methods when talking about how to activate Verizon new SIM card and we will cover each of them step-by-step in this section.
However, before we may focus on the activation process, we need to ensure that the SIM card is inserted into your phone. In case you also purchased a Verizon-certified device, the SIM card may come preinstalled. In not or if you are using Verizon’s Bring Your Own Phone option, you first need to physically place the SIM card in your phone.
The exact process here may vary slightly from phone model to phone model. Older models will require you to open the back of your phone, take out the battery and place the SIM card in the SIM-card slot.
With newer smartphones, the SIM slot will be located somewhere along the edge of your device. You will need a special SIM-card slot opening tool (a paper clip will also do the trick). Once you open the slot insert the SIM card in and put it back.
- When inserting a SIM card into your phone, make sure to use the proper size of a SIM card adaptor.
- Also, make sure to position the SIM card properly. Use its cut to determine that.
Assuming that you’ve properly inserted your new Verizon SIM card, we may take a closer look at the activation process.
How To Activate Verizon New SIM Card Online
This is the most popular method of activation these days. Below are detailed steps to take to make it work:
- Start by opening Verizon’s ‘Activate or Switch Device’ page: verizonwireless.com
- You need to log in. Use your user ID or mobile phone number. In case you are not registered yet, click the Register option. In case you have an existing account but have forgotten your User ID or password, click the ‘Forgot your info?’ option.
- Once signed in, switch to the ‘My Devices’ tab.
- Now click the Activations or Activating My [Phone]. Note that the word ‘phone’ may be replaced with the name of your phone.
- Click the ‘Verizon Activation’ > ‘Activate SIM’
- In case you are using an older account, you may see a list of several devices. Click the ‘Select Device’ option. In some cases, you may be prompted to click the ‘Activate a Device on an Existing Line.’
- Depending on your phone type, make sure to choose 4G/LTE or 5G under the ‘Device Type’
- IMEI (ESN) will most likely automatically be filled (if not, enter your phone’s IMEI number).
- You need to enter your SIM Card Number next. You can find it printed on the Verizon receipt for purchasing your Verizon SIM card or on the SIM card kit.
- To get a list of available plans, click the ‘Check SIM Card’ option. You might have already registered a plan at the store. In that case, you will be able to skip the ‘ Complete Transaction’ step. Otherwise, you will need to complete the plan purchase.
- At this point, you will be asked to pick a phone to send a code to. Select the phone by clicking the image/name of your corresponding device and click the ‘Text Me the Code’ option.
- Now enter that code into the field on the website.
- All left to do is to click the ‘Confirm’ button.
Enjoy your Verizon SIM card as you’ve successfully activated it using the online method.
How To Activate Verizon New SIM Card Using My Verizon App
Note: To use this method you will also need an internet connection.
- If you have a Verizon-certified device, the app should come preinstalled. If not, make sure to install the My Verizon app first.
- Next, you need to sign in (if you’ve done that previously, you will skip that part).
- Tap the ‘Add device’ option.
- Tap the ‘Activate a device I already own’ option.
- In case the information is not automatically detected, select the type of your device and the OS.
- Enter your device’s ID. Your phone ID is the IMEI number. It also goes by other names: EMEI/IMSI/MEID. The app may detect it automatically. Confirm this step and you are done.
Your phone is now activated.
How To Activate Verizon New SIM Card Using A Telephone Number
Most users prefer to use the above two methods, however, since they both require internet access, you also have an alternative option. See the steps below.
- Make sure your SIM card is inserted into the phone and that the phone is turned OFF.
- Call Verizon at 1-877-807-4646 from any other phone.
- Listen to the voice commands and on-screen prompts, where you will need to enter some data.
- Now turn on your phone (the one with the SIM card that you are activating). You should notice that 3G/4G/5G functionality is now enabled.
- Complete the on-screen instructions on your phone. The instructions will appear after you enter your PIN.
- Once you accept Verizon’s Customer Agreement, your SIM card will have full network access.
How Do I Reactivate The Verizon SIM Card?
Reactivation is typically no different than the activation process presented above. However, you need to ensure that you have a SIM that hasn’t been permanently disabled.
You can try any of the above-presented activation methods and see if it works. Or, you may reach out to Verizon customer support to check the status of your Verizon SIM card.
In some cases, you may need to acquire a new Verizon SIM card. This should not be an issue, considering that Verizon gives their customers SIM cards for free.
How Do I Deactivate The Verizon SIM Card?
The deactivation process is way less common, so there are no automated methods. This means that you will need to reach out to Verizon support and request the deactivation process.
If you have no unpaid bills and are using prepaid plans, you may simply stop paying for the services. However, in the case of post-pay plans, you will need to deactivate your services to avoid receiving monthly bills.
Do I Need Verizon SIM Card Activation After Replacing a SIM Card?
Each new SIM card comes with its SIM kit, which includes SIM card adaptors and a card with a SIM card’s number. You will need to use that number to activate your new SIM.
Which Phones Are Compatible With The Verizon SIM Card?
Since Verizon offers a Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) option, there is a wide range of compatible devices. Generally speaking, any SIM/carrier unlocked phone has a good chance of working with a Verizon SIM card.
However, before you actually decide to move forward, you need to check compatibility. Visit verizon.com and follow the compatibility-checking process.
Of course, all Verizon-certified devices (those offered at Verizon online and local stores) are fully compatible. The most popular and currently available options are listed below.
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro
- Apple iPhone 12
- Apple iPhone SE (2020)
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
- Apple iPhone 11
- Google Pixel 5
- Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G UW
- Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G
- Apple iPhone 12 mini
- Google Pixel 4a
- Samsung Galaxy A51 5G UW
- Samsung Galaxy A01
- Motorola moto g power
- Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A21
- Motorola one 5G UW
- Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G
- Apple iPhone 11 Pro
- Motorola moto g stylus
- Google Pixel 4a 5G UW
- LG Stylo 6
- Apple iPhone XR
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G
- LG K51
- LG WING
- LG Velvet 5G UW
- LG V60 ThinQ 5G UW
- Motorola edge+
- Samsung Galaxy S20 5G UW
- LG Q70
- Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S10e
- Motorola razr
- Samsung Galaxy S9 (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Nokia 2 V Tella
- Nokia 8 V 5G UW
- OnePlus 8 5G UW
- Sonim XP8
- Kyocera DuraForce PRO 2 with Sapphire Shield
- Compact Phone by Palm
- Kyocera DureForce Ultra 5G UW
- TCL 10 5G UW
- Apple iPhone 11 (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Apple iPhone XR (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Apple iPhone XS Max (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Apple iPhone XS (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Apple iPhone X (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Apple iPhone 8 (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Apple iPhone 7 (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Samsung Galaxy A51
- Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Apple iPhone 11 Pro (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Apple iPhone XS
- Google Pixel 4
- Samsung Galaxy Note8
- Samsung Galaxy Note10+ (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Samsung Galaxy Note10 (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Alcatel AVALON V
- Nokia 3 V
- Samsung Galaxy S10e (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Samsung Galaxy S10 (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Samsung Galaxy S8 (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Samsung Galaxy Note9 (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Samsung Galaxy Note8 (Certified Pre-Owned)
- Samsung Galaxy S10 5G (Certified Pre-Owned)
How Do I Know If My Phone Is Compatible With The Verizon SIM Card?
Verizon has a special webpage set in place to help you check the compatibility.
Visit verizon.com and follow the compatibility-checking process.
Is Verizon SIM Card Unlocked?
Verizon phones come locked for 60 days. This means that after the initial 60 days you may use their devices with other compatible SIM cards.
Read one of our past articles How to Unlock Verizon Phone Easily
Is Verizon SIM card CDMA or GSM?
Verizon operates on CDMA technology.
What is the Verizon SIM Card Kit?
Verizon SIM card kit is a credit-card-sized combo of SIM card, SIM card adapters, and SIM card activation number. Within the SIM card kit, a PIN code and PUK code are also typically included.
Does Verizon SIM Card Support 5G?
Yes, however, to make use of 5G, the device itself must support this modern feature. All 5G operable devices typically include the ‘5G’ in their names.
Can I use my Verizon SIM card with another new phone?
Yes, if the phone is compatible with the Verizon network. Refer to the ‘How Do I Know If My Phone Is Compatible With The Verizon SIM Card?’ section above.
Can I transfer my Verizon SIM number to another phone?
Yes. You can physically swap SIM cards. However, whether or not a Verizon SIM card will work with that particular phone, will depend on the fact whether or not that phone is compatible with Verizon services.
You can read one of our past articles Verizon Wireless Phones for Seniors