Due to the large number of people who live in the United States in poverty conditions or with some type of disability, the US government constantly executes special social assistance programs in different areas such as food, health and communication products and services.
One of these social programs is Lifeline, which has been operating since the 80’s and through which several companies in the telecommunications field, offer products and services for free or with significant discounts to people living in poverty conditions.
At this time, Verizon Wireless is the largest telecommunications company in the United States, which has more than 80 million customers and a coverage in 90% of the country’s territory.
But Verizon not only offers quality products and services, but also thinks about the people most in need and for that reason the company is also part of the Lifeline program, offering phones and plans with significant discounts in those areas of the country that need it most.
With this guide you’ll learn which states are participating in the Verizon Wireless Lifeline Program, what the requirements are and how to qualify and opt for a Verizon Wireless Lifeline discount phone, among other benefits.
Verizon Wireless Lifeline Program – Overview
The Lifeline social assistance program in general has been operating since the 80’s as part of an effort by the United States government to provide access to telecommunication products and services to people living in poverty conditions.
Initially, the program only provided access to landline services, but as more and more people switched to mobile lines, the program adapted to this trend as well.
The main benefit of the Lifeline program is a discount of $9.25 on the subscriber’s monthly bill – which is subsidized by the government – but each participating company is free to offer other additional benefits.
In the case of Verizon Wireless, the company offers several options to acquire touch screen phones, in addition to plans with messages, calls and data with significant discounts and payment facilities, products that in many cases are inaccessible for people with low incomes due to their high costs.
How to Get a Verizon Wireless Lifeline Discount Phone from Government
What you need to qualify for Verizon Wireless Lifeline Discount Phone
There are several criteria that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) takes into account for a person to qualify for the Lifeline program, among which we have:
Participate in other social programs
If you already participate in any of the social assistance programs listed below, you automatically qualify for the Lifeline program:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Or in the case you live on Tribal lands, the following programs are valid:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribally administered TANF
- Head Start (only those meeting its income standard)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
Be within the low income limit established by the government
In this case, you must prove that your per household income is below 135% of the poverty level established by the federal government. For this you must provide specific financial information, as required.
Have some kind of disability
People who suffer from some type of physical disability are also eligible to participate in the Lifeline program, as long as they can prove that their disability limits or prevents them from earning income.
What Documents Need to Participate in the Verizon Lifeline Program
The following is a list of the documents normally accepted during the application process for the Verizon Wireless Lifeline program.
In the case you participate in one of the public assistance programs listed above, you must provide a copy of documentation demonstrating your participation, like a Statement of Benefits or a Notice Letter of Participation in the program.
In case you want to apply based on your low income, one or more of the following documents are acceptable:
- Prior year’s State, Federal or Tribal Tax Return
- Retirement/Pension Benefit Statements
- Social Security Benefits Statements
- Divorce Decree or Child Support Documents
- Veterans Administration Benefits Statements
- Unemployment/Workers’ Compensation Benefits Statements
- Current Income Statements from Employer or Paycheck Stubs
- Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
How to Apply for the Verizon Lifeline Assistance Program
The application process for the Verizon Lifeline program is fairly simple, although there may be some variations depending on your state of residence.
First, you can complete the application process – in addition to verifying if you’re eligible for the program – through the official Lifeline National Verifier’s website or you can call to the Lifeline Support Center at 800.234.9473.
If you’re indeed eligible, then you can contact Verizon directly at 800.417.3849 and choose the products and services of your choice.
Verizon Wireless Lifeline Program Qualifying Areas
Actually, the Verizon Wireless Lifeline Program is available in four states in the country:
- New York
- North Dakota
Note, however, that not all areas within these states are eligible to participate in the Verizon Wireless Lifeline Program, as the most needy areas of those states are the priority.
Here is a list of eligible counties by state. This list is updated from time to time, so you can also request information about the eligibility of your area of residence by calling the toll-free number 800.417.3849.
- Monona and shelby
New York counties
- Lewis and St. Lawrence
North Dakota counties – all except
- Grand Forks
What Benefits Do I Get if I Qualify for a Verizon Lifeline Discount Phone?
As it was previously mentioned, the basic benefit provided by the Verizon Wireless Lifeline program is a discount of at least $9.25 on your monthly bill. In addition to this, a discount of up to 100% on the one-time customary activation fee for Tribal Lands subscribers.
In addition to these basic benefits, Verizon offers special plans with discounts for Lifeline beneficiary subscribers.
First, a $9.25 discount on the $25.00 Lifeline Plan, bringing the payment down to just $15.75 per month.
This $9.25 discount also applies to the $19.99 Home Phone Connect Plan, bringing the fee to just $10.74 per month.
The two plans offer benefits in various services such as:
- A specific or unlimited number of text messages
- Unlimited minutes on mobile-to-mobile local calls and/or long distance calls
- Special discounts on calling minutes
- Discount on the One-Time Activation Fee for Tribal Lands residents
Application Restrictions for Lifeline
The main restrictions of the Lifeline program are that only one beneficiary per household is allowed, in addition to the fact that the benefit cannot apply on two services simultaneously, such as home telephony and wireless telephony.
How to Work Verizon Wireless with Government
If you are really interested in a Verizon Wireless Lifeline discount phone, the process to obtain it is quite simple.
The first thing you should do is to verify if you’re eligible to qualify for the program.
The main requirement to qualify for Lifeline is to be in a difficult economic situation. Also, in this context, there are several criteria that apply to people in such a situation – more on that later.
Through the official Lifeline Program’s website or through the website of the carrier of your choice, you can verify if you’re eligible to participate in the program.
Also, directly through the National Verifier’s website, you can register in the program and send copies of the documents that they request, and all in digital format – although in some cases there is the possibility of doing so physically.
Once you have registered and sent the documentation, you just have to wait for your application to be reviewed, and if it is approved, wait a few days to receive your phone at home.
As you can see, the process is pretty quick and easy.
Alternative Ways to Get Verizon Free Phones
One of the best features of Verizon as a mobile phone company is the wide variety of options – in addition to promotions – that it offers on phones and other devices, as well as plans and other related services. Let’s say you have options for all tastes and needs, and that’s one of the things that makes Verizon Wireless so popular.
Verizon is constantly offering discounted touch screen phones as a form of promotion. In return, all you have to do is subscribe to one of their paid plans.
Let’s see some examples.
Free phone offers when switching to Verizon
- You can get an amazing iPhone 12 or a Galaxy S20 FE 5G UW for free when you switch with select trade-in and an Unlimited plan.
- If you buy one of the best 5G phones, you can get one for free plus additional $500.00 when you switch two lines, with Unlimited plans.
- Or you can also get a new phone totally free, when you switch or add a new line – and you won’t require any trade-in.
Verizon promotional offers and other ways
Another type of promotion by Verizon is that you can get paid phones with incredible payment facilities, where you only have to pay $15/mo or less for up to 24 months.
These promotions are very frequent from Verizon, and is one of the reasons why the company is leader in the market.
On the other hand, you can also find many free phone giveaways if you know where to look for on the web.
In fact, there are many websites offering free phones in giveaways or contests as a way of promotion, and the requirements to participate are really simple.
Verizon related post you can read
Verizon Compatible Unlocked Phones
Verizon Wireless Phone Return and Replacement Policy
Verizon Wireless has a very clear return and exchange guarantee policy for new wireless devices and accessories.
In case you have acquired a Verizon Wireless Lifeline discount phone and for any reason you want to return or exchange it – either due to a factory defect or because the device simply did not meet your expectations – you can do so within 14 days upon purchase of the device. Verizon related post you can read How To Replace Verizon Wireless
However, take into account the following points:
- A restocking fee of $50.00 may apply to any return or exchange of any device, as well as with shipping charges to any merchandise sent to you. Other additional fees may also apply for any missing item.
- You can only make one exchange and all the merchandise – the phone, accessories, etc. – must be in their original box. Also, the merchandise must be in good conditions and accompanied by the original receipt.
- You must return your phone within the return period, or you won’t receive a refund and your device won’t be returned to you.
- In the case you received a phone through a “Buy One, Get One Free” or similar promotion, you must return both items to receive a refund. Now, in the case you want an exchange for the same phone model, you only need to return the device you want to exchange.
- In the case you want to terminate your service, you must call to Customer Service.
Something very important that you should also note is that the above warranty policy only applies in cases where the device is in perfect conditions or “like new”, and the warranty is only valid within 14 days after you received your phone.
Now, another policy applies to cases where the purchased device has been lost, stolen or damaged in any way. In these cases other options apply to replace the device.
First of all, it’s important for you to know that Verizon has several insurance options for devices, among which we have:
- Verizon Protect/Verizon Protect Multi-Device
- Total Mobile Protection
- Total Mobile Protection Multi-Device
- Total Equipment Coverage
- Wireless Phone Protection
In some circumstances, the replacement options to apply in each particular case will depend on whether or not the client is registered in any of these insurances, so it’s a good idea to consider these options when acquiring your Verizon Wireless Lifeline discount phone.
In the case your device has any kind of physical damage – a cracked screen, for example – and you’re registered in one of the mentioned device protection options, the best option you’ve is to file a claim on Asurion’s website.
This option also applies in the case your device was lost or stolen.
If you aren’t enrolled in any of the protection options we already mentioned, the only options you’ll have are:
- Buy a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) Replacement device
- Buy a new device at retail cost.
- Activate another device you already own.
In the case of manufacturing defects or that something is wrong with your device like an electrical or mechanical malfunctioning, that weren’t caused by any external force, your replacement options will be based on
“How long it’s been since you purchased the device and if you have device protection”.
For example, your device will be replaced with a new one at no cost, if you return it within 14 days or less since purchase.
Now, if you send your device after this grace period of 14 days, your device will be replaced with a “Certified Like-New Replacement”, but not necessarily with another one of the same brand and model.
But the best part comes if over one year since purchase, you found that your device has any kind or manufacturing defect, specially if you are enrolled in one of the device protection options we already mentioned.
In such a case, your device can be replaced with a Certified Like-New Replacement at no cost!
Note that in any case, it’s important that you first verify your eligibility by contacting a Verizon representative through the Verizon’s official website or by visiting a Verizon store.
As you can see, only a great company like Verizon Wireless can offer this kind of warranties for their customers.
Why Choose Verizon Wireless?
It’s true that there are many companies participating in the Lifeline program, but very few can measure themselves face to face with Verizon; this is due to the great quality and variety of products and services that the company offers.
Among the most notable characteristics of the company we have:
- Verizon Wireless Lifeline Program users have access to domestic and international calls at super competitive rates, especially calls to Mexico and Canada.
- The company offers a wide variety of unlimited calls, messages and data plans for different types of users and different budgets. These plans also include value-added services such as access to online TV, for example.
- Verizon constantly has a wide variety of offers and promotions on devices and accessories, often allowing consumers to purchase phones for free or with great discounts.
- The company has a specialized app that anyone can downloaded for free and that offers numerous advantages to its users, such as calls and data connection with unique features, in addition to virus protection.
- The company offers one of the fastest services in more than 90% of the country’s territory, including 4G networks and the most modern with 5G.
Does Verizon have free government phones?
Verizon doesn’t offer free government phones, but they have several types of promotions where you can get a free or discount phones.
You can also bring your old smartphone, and they’ll allow their services on the phone for the Lifeline Social Program services. In this case, Verizon focus on the many plans they have, where you can subscribe use their services at low rates.
Government Free Phone related post you can read :Government Free Phone Guideline
What other companies offer free government cell phones?
Actually, there are many mobile carriers that accept the Lifeline Assistance program. The following are some of the best:
- Qlink Wireless
- SafeLink Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
- Access Wireless
- Life Wireless
- TAG Mobile
- Assist Wireless
Does Verizon participate in Lifeline?
Yes, Verizon does participate in the Lifeline program. They offer free plans and even free devices – under certain conditions and/or promotions, so you can check out their website to see what they can offer for you.
Verizon related post you can read Verizon Phone and Plan Deals for Existing Customers