Xfinity Mobile is a popular American wireless provider by Comcast Telecommunications. Its services are limited to Xfinity internet customers. The company offers numerous affordable service plans, high-quality phones and other mobile devices, a convenient Bring Your Phone program, and reliable services.
Indeed, all of the above sounds great, but what about the provider’s coverage? Are you considering switching your wireless services to Xfinity Mobile but are uncertain whether or not the provider offers good network coverage? If so, we have good news! Not only does Xfinity Mobile offer good mobile coverage, but it actually offers Verizon’s largest and most reliable network in the country for half the price of Verizon! Verizon provides the largest 4G coverage in the U.S. and it offers a solid 5G connection in most large cities. Moreover, Xfinity also has over 18 million hotspots all across the country.
In this article, we will break down all there is to know about Xfinity Mobile coverage map 2022.
Is Xfinity Mobile Network GSM or CDMA
Xfinity Mobile is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that does not have its own network towers. Instead, it uses network towers of the largest carrier in the country – Verizon. Unlike the other two largest carriers, T-Mobile and AT&T, Verizon uses the CDMA network technology.
CDMA stands for Code-Division Multiple Access, which refers to any of the several protocols that can be used for transferring data wirelessly. This allows several signals to travel over a single transmission channel and thus optimizes the bandwidth use, increases transfer speeds and connectivity, and improves signal strength. As Xfinity Mobile runs on Verizon’s network, the MVNO also uses CDMA technology.
Now, you may be wondering how it is relevant which protocol or network technology is used by Xfinity. Well, as Xfinity Mobile offers a Bring Your Phone program, the fact that Xfinity is a CDMA network is very important. After all, in order to bring your device to Xfinity, the device must be carrier-unlocked, compatible with Xfinity’s services, and use CDMA technology.
How Do I Check Xfinity Mobile Coverage in My Area?
Making sure that the Xfinity Mobile coverage map is large and that the network is available and reliable in your area is of utmost importance. In fact, checking the provider’s network coverage in your area is probably the most important step to take before committing to the company’s services. After all, all other benefits, no matter how great, are irrelevant if you are unable to make or take a single phone call without interference. Moreover, most of the benefits that are included in any Xfinity plan (talk minutes, texts, and mobile data) depend mostly on the network’s availability and quality.
Network speeds vary from 2G, 3G, 4G, to 5G. You want to make sure that Xfinity’s network in your area has 4G coverage, which is the most common and reliable speed. Luckily, Verizon offers the largest 4G coverage in the county, covering 70% of the territory and reaching over 99% of the population.
To check the Xfinity Mobile coverage in your area and make sure that 4G speeds are available, go to xfinity.com/mobile/learn/network-coverage. Scroll down and you will see a map of the United States. Below this map, you will see the Coverage Checker. Enter your ZIP code in the provided search box and press ‘Check Coverage’. Once you do so, the system will immediately notify you of which network speeds and how many Wi-Fi hotspots are available in your area.
Xfinity Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot Coverage
In addition to the reliable nationwide network coverage by Verizon, Xfinity Mobile also provides its customers with millions of secure Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the county.
Getting connected to these hotspots will help you conserve your mobile data and stay connected to high-speed internet regardless of your location.
You can check Xfinity Mobile’s Wi-Fi hotspot coverage in your area by visiting xfinity.com/mobile/learn/network-coverage, entering your ZIP code in the Coverage Checker’s search box, and pressing ‘Check coverage’. The system will let you know how many Wi-Fi hotspots are available in your area. By pressing ‘View Wi-Fi Hotspots’, you will be redirected to a map of your area and there, you will be able to see where exactly are those Wi-Fi hotspots situated.
How Do You Update Towers on Xfinity?
As Xfinity’s Verizon network offers the largest coverage area, it is unlikely that you will experience patchy coverage in your area. However, if you travel to the remotest parts of the country, you may experience network issues. Xfinity users use Verizon’s towers and there is no way to switch to any other network towers.
Still, in case you will ever have to improve your cell phone signal, you can try the following:
- Find a location that has a stronger signal. The signal doesn’t only depend on the proximity of the network towers and occupancy. It also depends on physical blockages, such as mountains, walls, buildings, trees, and metal objects, on the weather, and the proximity of other electronic devices, which transmit their own signal.
- Charge your battery. Connecting to the network drains the battery. As such, if the coverage is patchy, it’s important to charge your battery, as a full battery will enable you to connect to the network more consistently, resulting in better reception.
- When you don’t need data but are in need to make an important phone call, you can switch your network to slower 3G speeds. This network speed is not great for internet browsing and video streaming, but in patchy coverage areas, it will provide you with a stronger signal to make phone calls.
- In case the network coverage is poor, you can also simply find an Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot and connect to the internet. Not only will this enable you to browse the internet and use internet-dependent apps, but you will also be able to send text messages and make phone calls through Wi-Fi calling and supported apps, such as WhatsApp, Skype, FaceTime, Viber, Messenger, etc.
- Install a network booster in your home. You can use an antenna on your roof or connect a booster to your router. As these types of devices tend to be network-specific, make sure to contact your provider (Xfinity) to ask about the best options. Keep in mind, though, that this option only makes sense if there is at least a weak signal in your home, otherwise, the device won’t have anything to boost.
What Network Towers Does Xfinity Mobile Use?
As mentioned above, Xfinity Mobile is an MVNO that uses Verizon’s network towers, which provide superb signal strength and network coverage.
Verizon is one of the three largest carriers in the country (along with T-Mobile and AT&T) and one of the carriers with the most network towers. In fact, Verizon offers the largest 4G coverage in the country, covering 70% of the country’s territory and providing a signal to more than 99% of the population. The carrier also offers an 11% 5G coverage, which is available in all the larger cities and metropolitan areas.
Verizon’s towers are available throughout the country, however, they are not entirely evenly distributed. More network towers are available near large cities and in remote rural areas, there are fewer network towers, therefore, the coverage may be patchy in those areas, which means that users may get lower data speeds and experience signal interference.
How Do I Compare Xfinity Mobile’s Coverage Area?
Xfinity Mobile’s coverage area can best be compared with Verizon’s coverage, as the former uses the latter’s network. We have already established that Verizon is one of the largest carriers in the country. However, there are two others – T-Mobile and AT&T. So, how do Verizon’s network and that of all Verizon’s MVNOs (including Xfinity) compare with T-Mobile and AT&T and their MVNOs?
- Verizon and its MVNOs have the largest 4G coverage, available in 70% of the country’s territory.
- AT&T and its MVNOs have the second-largest 4G coverage, available in 68% of the country’s territory.
- T-Mobile and its MVNOs have the third-largest 4G coverage, available in 63% of the territory.
- T-Mobile and its MVNOs enjoy the largest 5G coverage, available on up to 53% of the territory.
- AT&T and its MVNOs have the second-largest 5G coverage, covering up to 29% of the territory.
- Verizon and its MVNOs come last when it comes to the 5G network, which is available in 12% of the territory.
Xfinity Mobile Vs. Verizon Coverage
Now that we have compared Xfinity Mobile’s coverage area with other carriers and MVNOs, it’s time to take a closer look at how Xfinity’s coverage compares to Verizon’s coverage. Are they really the same?
The answer is yes and no. In theory, Xfinity Mobile’s network coverage is exactly the same as Verizon’s coverage, both when it comes to 4G and 5G networks. It is available to over 99% of the country’s population and while 4G coverage is very widespread, its 5G network is also available in most large cities and densely populated areas.
On the other hand, you must also know that during times of congestion network tower owners (Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T) have a slight advantage over their MVNOs, providing their customers with higher data speeds and better reception. During times of congestion, Xfinity customers, as well as the customers of most other MVNOs may therefore experience patchy coverage, slow data speeds, and poor signal.
Pros and Cons of Xfinity Mobile Network
Xfinity Mobile claims to be one of the most reliable wireless service providers. And as we have seen in the sections above, it truly does offer excellent coverage and other perks. However, in this section, we will break down the pros and cons of joining Xfinity Mobile and connecting to its network.
- The company offers Verizon’s largest 4G coverage.
- The coverage is nationwide, reliable, and reaches over 99% of the population.
- Verizon’s network is available for half the price of Verizon.
- Xfinity boosts its coverage area with millions of Wi-Fi hotspots available throughout the country.
- Xfinity offers valuable and affordable Unlimited and By the Gig plans.
- Xfinity offers fast data speeds and the flexibility to switch data options.
- Xfinity also offers reliable customer support service.
- Verizon offers the lowest 5G coverage among all the three largest carriers.
- As an MVNO, Xfinity has a disadvantage over Verizon, which may result in lower data speeds and call interference during times of congestion.
- The coverage and signal also depend on the weather, obstacles, terrain, and other conditions.
- In order to apply for the company’s wireless services, you must be an Xfinity internet customer.
- In case you ever cancel your internet service, you will be required to pay an added fee.
- If you decide to participate in the Bring Your Phone program, keep in mind that not all phones are compatible with Xfinity.
In case you also need information Xfinity Mobile Deals For Existing Customers 2022
Xfinity Mobile Related FAQ
Does Verizon Own Xfinity?
No, Xfinity is owned by Comcast Telecommunications. Xfinity simply partners with Verizon, which enables it to use Verizon’s network towers and nationwide coverage.
Is Xfinity Cheaper Than Verizon?
Yes! At Xfinity Mobile, you can get your first line of unlimited wireless for half the price of Verizon.
What Phones Are Compatible With Xfinity Mobile?
As mentioned before, not all phones are compatible with Xfinity Mobile. In order to use your phone with Xfinity’s services, the device must be unlocked and compatible. All iPhones, starting with iPhone 6 or later are compatible. Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel phones should also all be compatible. However, the only way to be certain of your phone’s compatibility is to visit xfinity.com/mobile/byod/compatibility/device, select your type of phone, press ‘Next’, select your current carrier, press ‘Next, and finally, enter your 15-digit IMEI to the provided box. Press ‘Submit’ and the system will notify you whether or not your phone is compatible.
Does Xfinity Mobile Have an Activation Fee?
No, the company does not charge activation fees or phone line access fees, assuming that you are an internet customer. Otherwise, you will first be required to sign up for Comcast’s internet services.
Does Xfinity Mobile Have Wi-Fi Calling?
Yes, Xfinity Mobile has Wi-Fi calling. Moreover, this feature is enabled by default on all Xfinity phones, therefore, you don’t have to activate it.
How Long Does It Take to Switch to Xfinity Mobile?
In case you are already an Xfinity internet user, you may be able to switch to Xfinity’s wireless services from another major provider in as little as 10 minutes. To do so, simply contact the company’s customer service and explain what you wish to do. In case you wish to keep your own number, make sure not to cancel your service with your current provider before you contact Xfinity, as this way you may lose your number.
Does Xfinity Mobile Use SIM Cards?
Yes. In fact, having an Xfinity Mobile SIM card is vital when it comes to activating your phone on Xfinity’s network. If you don’t have an Xfinity SIM card, you can order one online.
Does Xfinity Mobile Work in All States?
Yes. As Xfinity is powered by Verizon’s nationwide network that is available in all states (even though the distribution is uneven), Xfinity’s coverage also works in all states.
Can I Switch From Verizon to Xfinity Mobile?
Yes. While switching from a GSM carrier, such as T-Mobile or AT&T may be a bit more challenging, switching from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile is super-fast and simple.
Can I Keep My Number if I Switch to Xfinity Mobile?
Absolutely. The phone number transfer will be arranged by a company’s representative when you call customer service to switch to their services. Make sure not to cancel your previous services until you have contacted Xfinity Mobile.