Straight Talk may not be as big and well-known as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint, however, when it comes to contract-free wireless providers, it is without a doubt one of the best options on the market. It offers a solid selection of devices and also offers you to bring your own phone via their Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program.
Among other devices, Straight Talk also offers several iPhone models, including older reconditioned iPhone 6 and the latest iPhone 11 Pro Max and all between. Their quite impressive iPhone offer results in many clients selecting iPhones. Since all Straight Talk phones come locked to their network, we decided to devote today’s article to inform you how to unlock a Straight Talk iPhone.
After finishing this article, you will know exactly which steps to take to get your iPhone unlocked. Moreover, the information provided herein may also help you determine whether you like Straight Talk unlocking policy enough to give their phones a shut.
So, are you ready to learn how to unlock a Straight Talk iPhone? Let’s dig
What Do We Mean By Straight Talk Iphone Unlock?
Before we take this discussion any further, we need to make sure that you all know what exactly are we talking about. So, herein we are not talking about your iPhone’s display is locked but we refer to SIM-lock.
Like many other carriers, Straight Talk sells phones that are locked to their services, which means that iPhones purchased with them are locked to their network (t.i. they work only with Straight Talk SIM cards).
That said, to be able to use Straight Talk iPhone with any other carrier’s SIM card, you must get the iPhone unlocked. This is the process we are referring to by Straight Talk iPhone unlock. And it is this process that you will learn all about in the following lines of this article.
So, now that we are all on the same page, let’s move on, shall we?
Straight Talk Unlocking Policy
Since all Straight Talk phones, including iPhones, come locked to their network, we feel the best place to start is with their unlocking policy. At this point, you should know that Straight Talk is a part of TracFone’s family, as such, they share the same unlocking policy.
TracFone has entered into an agreement with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding handset unlocking and has begun launching handsets that are capable of being unlocked.
Note: Beginning May 1, 2016, Straight Talk subscribers with handsets that cannot be unlocked may be eligible for a replacement phone.
Straight Talk unlocking program is subject to the following requirements:
- Customers must request handset unlocking.
- Customers must have had their locked device activated on Straight Talk Service for no fewer than 12 months, redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported.
- Customers must request this interim unlocking solution while their service is active or within 60 days after their active service days expire. This 60-day grace period applies even if the customer’s telephone number was recycled or ported.
- Customers must currently own a Straight Talk branded handset model launched on Straight Talk’s service after February 11, 2014, or activated with Straight Talk’s service after February 11, 2015.
- Customers must possess a handset that is in working condition.
- Customers must possess a handset that is not reported stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity.
- Note: If a customer requesting handset unlocking is deployed military personnel, upon provision of deployment papers, Straight Talk will honor that customer’s unlocking request by sending a refund for the Trade-in Value of the used, locked phone returned by the customer without regard for the 12 months of service activation and air card redemption eligibility requirements. However, all other eligibility criteria apply to Straight Talk’s customers who are deployed military personnel.
- Customers are eligible for this program only once every twelve months.
After an eligible customer contacts Straight Talk to request the trade-in value of his or her handset, Straight Talk will provide a prepaid mailer for the customer to return the used, locked handset. Upon receipt of the device, Straight Talk will send the customer a check for the trade-in value of the handset. The trade-in value is determined by a formula reached through agreement with the FCC. An eligible customer may elect to have the trade-in value of their handset applied to the cost of a new Straight Talk Handset that is capable of being unlocked.
Straight Talk may refuse any unlocking request that would result in an abuse of its Unlocking Policy or is part of an effort to defraud Straight Talk or its customers. Straight Talk’s Unlocking Policy is subject to change at any time without advance notice.
Customers who would like to check if they are eligible or submit a request can do so through an online portal at https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com, or call 1-888-442-5102.
Check Out more Are Straight talk phones unlock
How to Unlock a Straight Talk iPhone
There are various methods to get your iPhone unlocked, however, many of them are frond upon or even illegal. Actually, the most straight forward method is too directly through the Straight Talk unlocking process. Herein, we will present you with several options, all of which will provide you with an unlocked Straight Talk iPhone.
Whichever, of the following instruction on how to unlock a Straight Talk iPhone you decide to go with, make sure to be compliant with the Straight Talk unlocking policy presented in the previous section as this is the only way to be 100% legit.
How to Unlock a Straight Talk iPhone Directly with Straight Talk
To proceed with this method, make sure that you meet all the requirements or prerequisites presented in the previous section. If those seem complicated to you, you can also call Straight Talk support at 1-888-442-5102 (unlocking department) or simply visit https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/wps/portal/home/ where you will need to enter your phone number or serial number, check the “I’m not a robot” reCAPTCHA box and click the “VERIFY ELIGIBILITY” button.
So here are the exact steps:
- Check that your phone is eligible to be unlocked – you have three options here – check the previous section, call the unlocking department, or visit the unlocking-eligibility-check website.
- Once you have confirmed that your phone is eligible for unlocking, you will need to request the unlocking process to be initiated. To do so, you may call the unlocking department directly at 1-888-442-5102 or call Straight Talk support at 1-877-430-2355.
This is it! Two simple steps are all it takes for you to unlock your Straight Talk iPhone.
How to Unlock a Straight Talk iPhone – The Alternative Ways
As mentions above, to stay on the legal side of the entire unlocking process, we fully advise you to stick to the steps presented in the above sub-section. Moreover, it is important to meet all of the prerequisites presented in the Straight Talk Unlocking Policy even if you decide to choose any of the alternative methods that we will cover below.
Since there may be some complications with Straight Talk or you may have your own reasons to explore alternative ways regarding how to unlock a Straight Talk iPhone, we decided to present you with basically all existing methods. Keep in mind that none of the alternative unlocking methods offer a 100% success rate.
How to Unlock a Straight Talk iPhone – Alternative method #1: Use Software
By connecting your phone to the PC or laptop you may explore unlocking software options. These are not always highly reliable, especially when we discuss unlocking iPhones.
This method works by making certain changes to your iPhone’s firmware. However, the most important part about this method to keep in mind is that these changes are not permanent and can be, as such, overwritten.
If we compare software unlocking with hardware unlocking, it is a preferable option and a much safer one. However, the IMEI unlocking option remains the safest bet.
As mentioned above, keep in mind that the unlocking done with software will always be overwritten whenever you upgrade your iOS or restore a backup. This means you will need to use the software again to unlock it, which can be rather annoying.
Moreover, you will need to pay for this kind of unlocking.
Pros of software iPhone unlocking:
- Unlocks your device and enables you to use it with other carriers
- A valid alternative, if the above-presented Straight Talk option cannot function
Cons of software iPhone unlocking:
- It’s not a permanent solution; every upgrade will lock your phone again
- Only works with old iPhone models
How to Unlock a Straight Talk iPhone – Alternative method #2: Hardware Unlocking
Since we promised to present you with all valid options, we will provide details regarding hardware unlocking as well. Though, you should keep in mind that this method is highly risky and we do not recommend it.
As it names suggests, this method involves hardware alternations, which can result in a malfunction of your iPhone. Adjusting components of your phone is not something you should trust just anyone. If you decide on this risky method, make sure that the person performing hardware unlocking is trained in that sort of work and has a high success rate.
Pros of hardware iPhone unlocking:
- If it works and is done properly, it is a permanent solution.
Cons of hardware iPhone unlocking:
- Interfering with an iPhone’s hardware instantly voids the warranty
- No matter how skilled you are, there’s always the risk of bricking your device
- Apple technicians are the only people qualified to adjust an iPhone’s hardware, nobody else
- Only works with older Straight Talk iPhone models (iPhone 6, old iPhone SE, iPhone 5s)
How to Unlock a Straight Talk iPhone – Alternative method #3: IMEI Unlock Service
The IMEI Straight Talk iPhone unlock service in the best alternative method. Unlike the software and the hardware method, it does not have any major downsides.
It is a permanent solution, which means your phone will remain unlocked even after the iOS upgrade or recovery. It is also not risky and potentially harmful to your precious iPhone. In a way, this method uses the same principle as the unlocking directly with Straight Talk.
This unlocking method is also not limited to older iPhone models and it has the best chance of working with any iPhones. If you are for some reason looking for a way around the Straight Talk unlocking policy, this is your best option.
You must find a legit IMEI unlocking service, provide them with your iPhones IMEI number and they take care of the rest. They whitelist your phone’s IMEI, meaning that the identifier is added to a list on both Apple’s end and your carrier’s end (in our case Straight Talk’s). This exempts your device from the IMEI checks and enables you to use your device with other carriers’ SIM cards.
This service is offered online by various reputable websites. There are some who offer this for free, but the ones we can vouch for and have proven to give positive results come with a small fee.
Pros of IMEI iPhone unlocking:
- It Permanently unlocks your Straight Talk iPhone
- It works for all iPhone models
- Doesn’t harm your iPhone
- offer a high success rate
Cons of IMEI iPhone unlocking:
- It is usually not done instantaneously – it often takes 1-3 days to unlock
How to Unlock a Straight Talk iPhone Using IMEI Unlock Service
Since software and hardware unlocking are quite risky, we decided to focus on the most reliable alternative way of unlocking your Straight Talk iPhone. Herein, we will present you with 2 best IMEI Straight Talk iPhone unlock service websites and detailed instructions on how to unlock a Straight Talk iPhone using their services.
How to Unlock a Straight Talk iPhone Using DirectUnlocks
DirectUnlocks is one of two IMEI Unlock Services that we recommend using for Straight Talk iPhone unlocking. We feel like DirectUnlocks is trustworthy, due to the following reasons:
- They let you can track the unlocking progress
- All of the most recent iPhone models are supported
- Many older iPhone models are supported
- Suitable for unlocking iPhones on a lot of carriers all across the world
- 1,000+ positive reviews backing up their efficiency
- 100% Money-Back Guarantee: If your iPhone can’t be unlocked (which rarely happens), a refund will be issued
- Simple: Only requires your country, carrier network, and IMEI number to begin
Here are the steps to take using DirectUnlocks:
- Step #1: Visit DirectUnlocks Straight Talk iPhone Unlock page
- Step #2: Select your iPhone model, country, and enter your phone’s IMEI number
- Step #3: Click on the “Continue” button to complete the payment step. You’ll need to enter your email address to receive the confirmation email.
How to Unlock a Straight Talk iPhone Using ExpressUnlocks
ExpressUnlocks is another reputable IMEI unlocking service site. Their benefits include:
- Permanently unlocking solution for your iPhone
- Can be used for almost any carrier worldwide
- A refund may be requested if the unlocking for some reason doesn’t work
- Fast results
- Very simple to use their service
- They offer great customer support (their team is available 24/7)
To use the ExpressUnlocks service you need to follow very similar steps as with the DirectUnlocks:
- Step #1: Visit ExpressUnlocks Straight Talk iPhone Unlock page
- Step #2: Select your Country, Carrier, and enter your phone’s IMEI number
- Step #3: Click on the “Unlock for any Sim Card” button to complete the payment step. You’ll need to enter your email address to receive the confirmation email.
In the sections above, we have covered ins and outs on how to unlock a Straight Talk iPhone. Using the information provided, you should now know exactly which steps to take to be able to use your Straight Talk iPhone with any other carrier’s SIM card.
Let us again remind you to always first try and go via the Straight Talk unlocking process directly. Only if this option does not work or is for some reason unavailable to you, explore alternative methods.
If you want to know more about Straight Talk iPhone 7 Plus visit iPhone 7 Plus Straight Talk With User Guide