SafeLink Wireless is a TracFone subsidiary, a no-contract cellular service provider, and a Lifeline provider based in Florida. They offer free or discounted services, plans, and mobile devices to Lifeline-eligible customers.
Since the company is one of the most popular Lifeline providers in the United States, you may be wondering why and how to replace a SafeLink SIM card. Luckily, you have come to the right place, as in the following chapters you will learn everything you need to know about SafeLink SIM card replacement.
What Do You Need to Do if Your Phone With a SafeLink SIM Card Got Stolen or Lost?
One of the most common reasons why customers may need to get a SafeLink replacement SIM card is if the SIM card gets lost or stolen. SIM cards usually get lost or stolen along with the cell phone, however, some thieves are only interested in stealing SIM cards and do so in order to gain access to your personal information.
In the unlikely event that only your phone got lost or stolen and your activated SIM card remains in your possession, you can still use your SafeLink services by inserting the active SafeLink SIM card into another compatible phone. However, if your SIM card got lost or stolen, you must contact SafeLink’s customer support as soon as possible. You can call them at 1-800-SafeLink or 1-800-723-3546 and file a report. SafeLink’s customer service is available Monday to Saturday from 8 am to 10 pm EST and on Sundays from 8 am to 7 pm EST. Explain what happened and when and request a replacement SIM card (and phone, if necessary).
All reported lost or stolen phones will be permanently deactivated and the remaining airtime will be lost. To continue using SafeLink services, you have three options:
- If your cell phone got lost or stolen along with the SIM card, you can purchase a replacement phone from SafeLink. The provider doesn’t officially offer free replacement phones, however, you may be able to receive one refurbished entry-level smartphone free of charge.
- Another option, if both your SIM card and the phone went missing, is to bring your own phone.
- In case the device itself isn’t missing, simply purchase a replacement SIM card.
What to Do if the SafeLink SIM Card Is Not Working or Is Damaged?
If your SafeLink SIM card got damaged or isn’t working due to any other reason, you will probably be required to purchase a replacement SIM card.
Generally, you can tell that the SIM card isn’t working if you receive an ‘error’ notification, if you are unable to place or receive a phone call, send or receive a text message, or use the data, even though other phone functions seem to be intact.
Before you purchase a replacement SIM card, see if you can fix the issue yourself. Turn the phone off and remove the SIM card. Make sure that the card is in fact there and that it is a SafeLink card and that nobody swapped it. Inspect the card to see if there are any signs of damage, spills, or cuts. Clean the SIM card with a soft cloth and reinsert it into the device. Turn the phone back on and check if it works.
If the issue persists, contact SafeLink’s customer service and tell them that your SIM card doesn’t work. The representative may try to help you over the phone, direct you to a retailer, or tell you where you can buy a replacement SIM card.
In case you also need information How To Replace SafeLink Phones
How Do I Replace SafeLink SIM Card?
In case your SafeLink SIM card is missing, damaged, or not working and you can’t find or fix it on your own, you have to get a replacement SIM card. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Contact Safe Link’s customer service and explain the issue. Request for a replacement SIM card.
- Provide the required information and follow the customer care representative’s instructions. You may be able to order a replacement SIM card by phone or the representative will tell you exactly where you can purchase one.
- Request to keep your old phone number or order a new one.
- In case you order your replacement SIM card by phone or online, you can expect it to arrive within a few business days, depending on where you live.
- Once you receive the replacement SIM card, you can turn off the phone (either your original SafeLink phone, your own compatible phone, or a replacement phone) and insert the SIM card. Turn the mobile device back on and check if the service is activated by trying to place a call.
Where Can I Get a SafeLink Replacement SIM Card?
As you are required to contact SafeLink’s customer service to report a missing or damaged SIM card anyway, it is best if you ask them where you can get a replacement SIM card. They may be able to provide you with a free replacement SIM card or they will direct you to the nearest store.
You can either buy a replacement SIM card on their website or visit one of their retailers. You can locate the nearest SafeLink retailer at https://www.safelink.com/wps/portal/home/retailers. Simply type in your ZIP code and select the search radius. The SafeLink retailers that have online shops may allow you to purchase a SIM card kit online.
How Do I Order a New or Replacement SIM Card if I Need to?
As mentioned before, it’s best to call SafeLink’s customer service and ask them exactly how and where you can get or order a replacement SIM card. They may be able to provide you with a free SIM card or tell you where to order it.
If the SafeLink customer service representative will tell you to order a replacement SIM card online, you simply find it, place it in the card, provide the necessary information (personal information, email, shipping address, and payment method), and place the order.
Do you want to learn more about Best Safelink Phones at Walmart
Do I Need SafeLink SIM Card Activation After Replacing a SIM Card?
In case you already have an active SafeLink service, you may not be required to do a SIM card activation after replacing the SIM card. To make sure whether you need to activate the SIM card or not, simply insert the replacement SIM card into the phone (either the original SafeLink phone, a replacement SafeLink phone, or another compatible device) and try to place a call. If there are no ‘error’ notifications and the call goes through, it means that your service is already activated and there is no need to activate it again.
However, if you are unable to place or receive calls, messages, and use data, you will be required re-activate your SafeLink service. To do so, follow the simple instructions below.
- Step 1: If you haven’t done so already, turn off your mobile device and carefully insert the replacement SIM card into the SIM slot. Turn the device back on.
- Step 2: Locate the activation card located inside the SafeLink phone box (if you ordered a new device) or in the SIM card kit.
- Step 3: Follow the instructions provided on the activation card to activate your service. In case you didn’t receive any activation instructions, your service must already be activated.
- Step 4: Place a test call. If the call goes through, the service is activated. In case the call does not go through, call SafeLink’s technical support service at 1-800-378-1684 (available every day from 8 am to 12 am EST).
Is My SafeLink 4G LTE SIM Card or 5G SIM Card Compatible With Any Other Provider’s Device?
SafeLink offers a BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) program and allows customers to bring their own devices. As such, their 4G LTE and 5G SIM cards are compatible with other provider’s devices. The device you bring to SafeLink must be unlocked and compatible with SafeLink services. Most GSM and CDMA smartphones are compatible with the provider’s services and SIM cards. To check whether or not your phone is compatible with SafeLink, simply text the word BYOP to 611611.
Can I Use My SafeLink 4G LTE SIM or 5G SIM Card in More Than One SafeLink Certified Device?
Some of you may have more than one SafeLink certified or SafeLink compatible mobile device. If you have two SafeLink devices but only one SafeLink SIM card, you won’t be able to use this one SIM card in two separate devices at the same time. However, you will be able to swap the SIM card from one device to the other. To do so, simply follow the prompts below.
- Turn off the phone where your SafeLink SIM card is currently located.
- Carefully remove the SIM card from the first phone.
- Turn off the second phone.
- Carefully insert the SIM card into the second phone.
- Turn on the second phone and enjoy your SafeLink Wireless services.
How Do I Secure My SafeLink SIM Card?
The best way to protect your SafeLink SIM card is by using a PIN code. To set up a SIM card lock, follow the simple steps below.
- Take your phone and find the ‘Apps’ icon. Tap it.
- Press ‘Settings’.
- Slide down to locate the ‘Lock screen and security’ option. Tap it.
- Slide down to locate the ‘Other security settings’ option. Tap it.
- Press ‘Set up SIM card lock’.
- Choose ‘Lock SIM card’.
- You will be asked to enter a PIN. The default PIN is 1234. Press ‘OK’. As soon as the SIM lock will be activated, the slider will turn blue.
- Press the ‘Home’ key to continue using your phone.
You can also protect your SafeLink SIM card, as well as your phone and accessories by getting insurance. Most insurances require the customer to pay a monthly fee as well as a service fee. You can review the many phone and SIM card insurance companies online and opt for the one that best fits your needs.
To make sure your SIM card doesn’t get stolen, lost, or damaged, make sure to always keep an eye on your belongings, watch out for thieves and potential SIM card swappers, do not spill or scratch the card, and make sure to always remove and insert it with care and preferably a proper tool. Do not bend, cut or modify the card in any way, avoid touching the gold contacts, do not expose the card to magnets or extreme temperatures, keep it dry and clean, and clean it with a cotton swab or a soft and dry lint-free cloth every once in a while. You can also get it cleaned by a professional.
Also, do not share your phone number and security codes with strangers, do not share personal information online, keep the personal inbox free of important information, and do not access dodgy websites.
How to Transfer a SafeLink SIM Card to a New Phone?
If you have received a replacement phone, an upgrade phone, or if you brought your own new device to SafeLink, you will be required to transfer your SafeLink SIM card to the new device. Transferring a SafeLink SIM card to another phone is easy. Simply follow the provided instructions.
- After getting your SafeLink replacement phone, SafeLink upgrade phone, or any other SafeLink-compatible new phone, turn off both your old SafeLink phone and the new one.
- Remove the SIM card from your old SafeLink phone and insert it into the new compatible phone.
- To transfer your SafeLink service, you may need to activate the new phone. To activate your SafeLink service, follow the instructions provided in the ‘Do I Need SafeLink SIM Card Activation After Replacing a SIM Card?’ section.
What Do I Do If I Forgot My SafeLink SIM Card PIN?
Have a PIN code is a great way to secure your SIM card and your phone. However, if you do have a PIN code and you hardly ever use it, you may forget it. If that happens, do not try to guess it, as you only have a few attempts to unlock it using your PIN code. If you enter the wrong PIN code one too many times, your SIM card will get locked. Instead, try to find your PIN code on your official SafeLink forms or contact SafeLink’s customer service and they will be able to help you out.
In case you do enter the wrong PIN code too many times, you can still unlock your SIM card by providing the eight-digit PUK code. Your PUK code can also be found in your official forms or by calling the provider’s customer service. Entering the wrong PUK code too many times will permanently lock your SIM card and you will be required to purchase a new one.
If you need information Safelink Wireless Recertification read one of our past article
What Is SafeLink SIM Card PUK Code?
A PUK (or PIN unlock key) code is a unique eight-digit code linked to each specific SIM card. It is probably written on your official SafeLink forms or your SIM carrier card. If you are unable to locate it, call SafeLink’s customer service and they will provide you with your unique PUK code.
Can I Get a Free SafeLink SIM Card With Data and Minutes?
As SafeLink is a Lifeline provider, it does offer free mobile devices and SIM cards with free data, minutes, and text messages to its eligible customers.
Read one of our past articles How to Add SafeLink Minutes
How Long Does It Take to Replace a SafeLink SIM Card?
SafeLink will send you either a free replacement SIM card or a purchased one as soon as you report the incident or place the order. SafeLink retailers also tend to send the order to your address as soon as you purchase an item that is in stock. Exactly how long it will take for the SIM card to get to you depends on where you live.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Replacement SIM Card From SafeLink?
If you call SafeLink’s customer service you may be able to receive a replacement SIM card free of charge. Otherwise, you will probably have to pay $9.99 for it.
Can I Replace SafeLink SIM Card Online?
While you can’t replace a SafeLink SIM card online, you can order a replacement SIM card online.
Should I Get a New SIM Card When I Upgrade My SafeLink Phone?
Generally, there is no need to get a new SIM card when upgrading your phone. However, if the phone you are planning to get is very modern and the SIM card is very old, they may not be compatible. In this case, you will have to get a new SIM card.
Can You Track a Lost SafeLink SIM Card?
Your best bet to locate a lost SafeLink SIM card is to contact the provider’s customer service and ask them to locate it with the use of geolocation.
Do You Lose Everything When You Change SafeLink SIM Cards?
Considering the fact that some of the data on your phone is stored on the actual device, other information is stored on your SIM card, and some of the information is stored in a cloud, not all of your data will be lost if you change your SIM card. Besides, SafeLink will be able to transfer both your service and most of the data to the new SIM card, therefore you needn’t worry.
Is the SafeLink SIM Card Locked?
Yes, SafeLink SIM cards are locked to SafeLink’s services and can only be used on their network.